Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Easiest Rear to Install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Easiest Rear to Install?

I'm still undecided which way I'm going with this. Many of the pros and cons wash out when you look at the big picture, so now I'm looking at ease of installation.

I will want to use my ABS, but have no Traction Control option on my 98. I'm now leaning towards a Strange......
Old 12-19-2003, 06:42 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You're leaning the right way. Strange has the best quality rear ends IMO, far above Moser from what I have seen..

Any 12 bolt, 9 inch, or 8.8 is going to be similar if not identical in installation. I wouldn't let this be your deciding factor. Quality, strength, and CS are what you need to focus on IMO..

Josh
Old 12-19-2003, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Damian
You're leaning the right way. Strange has the best quality rear ends IMO, far above Moser from what I have seen..

Any 12 bolt, 9 inch, or 8.8 is going to be similar if not identical in installation. I wouldn't let this be your deciding factor. Quality, strength, and CS are what you need to focus on IMO..

Josh
Thanks Damian. Now it's time to shop......
Old 12-20-2003, 12:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the same setup as you in my '99. Our sponser, Billingsley Racing, is having a special on Strange Rear Ends until the end of the year. I decided to go with the Strange unit because they have a great reputation and I think it is the closest thing to a true "Bolt-in". It has the exact diameter axle tubes as our stock unit so everything will fit without issues. It also comes stock with 33 spline axles, plus brake adaptors. So there is no need to strip the stock rear.
I ordered it with the recommended Super-Strong posi with ABS, and an aluminum T/A cover. After seeing the picture of the twisted stock aluminum drive shaft, I ordered a steel drive shaft too.

Now I just have to be patient and wait for it to arrive.

Good luck shopping,
John
Old 12-20-2003, 03:43 AM
Teching In

whats price for a 12 bold and the 9 inch?
Old 12-20-2003, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Strange utilizes the same TQ arm mounting setup as the stock rearend. The Moser makes you use 4 bolts on the TQ arm mount, (2) on top and (2) on the bottom. They tend to wiggle loose and make install more tricky than using the Strange/Stock TQ arm mounting style.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JohnR
I have the same setup as you in my '99. Our sponser, Billingsley Racing, is having a special on Strange Rear Ends until the end of the year. I decided to go with the Strange unit because they have a great reputation and I think it is the closest thing to a true "Bolt-in". It has the exact diameter axle tubes as our stock unit so everything will fit without issues. It also comes stock with 33 spline axles, plus brake adaptors. So there is no need to strip the stock rear.
I ordered it with the recommended Super-Strong posi with ABS, and an aluminum T/A cover. After seeing the picture of the twisted stock aluminum drive shaft, I ordered a steel drive shaft too.

Now I just have to be patient and wait for it to arrive.

Good luck shopping,
John
Thanks. I just checked out Billingsley's website and it wasn't very interactive. The price I saw for the basic Strange rear is $2349. LS1 Speed's a little bit cheaper. Do youthink $2349 is the regualr price, or is that the "special?" I couldn't tell by the website......

Last edited by 1ScrudeDude; 12-21-2003 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

$2349 is the special price. Compare what you get for your money. I like the fact that I don't have to strip parts off my stock rear to get the new rear to bolt-in. You can also check out the "Strange Engineering" web site for more information. Better yet, call Billingsley on the phone and they will tell everything you want to know...very helpfull!
Old 12-21-2003, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Having a M6 car myself my advise to you is simple, get a 9" with 35 spline axles and a locker. I also have a Strange 12 bolt with 33 spline axles, solid axle bearings, solid spacer !crush sleeve, and all the upgrades available from Strange when I bought it. If you put tires on your car and leave hard it will get loud. I'm on the third set of gears in mine. First warrantied by Strange, because the gears it was shipped with howled like a banshee after 2 trips to the track. The warrantied gears started to howl, and I was sick of it so I had them swapped again at my expense. Was driving my car home last night, and one of my buddies who was following said he could hear my rear screaming from inside his truck with the windows closed. This IS NOT a setup problem. In defense of Strange, their rears seem to hold up just fine on A4 cars. I'm not even going to get into spyder gear and posi unit problems now. I have many buddies with the 12 bolts that will back up what I have said. Answer=9".

Bruce
Old 12-21-2003, 11:09 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a big fan of Moser's torque arm bolt setup either but mine never loosened up and I would check it everytime I went to the track. Any car you are going to be driving to the track and dumping the clutch at 6000+ on ET streets/drags should be looked at underneath pretty often IMO

I like the idea of the strange rear coming with the backing plates/caliper mounts but those things arent cheap and you pay for them. Its no big deal to press the bearings on but its nice being able to leave your stock rear intact. The weak link is the posi unit in either rear though - next one I buy will be a moser with a spool, no abs crap and lightened axles. Its cheap, light and bulletproof with an A4.

If you are going to seriously beat on your car, want a posi and its an M6 I would seriously consider a 9 inch ford. It sucks to spend 2500.00 on a rear end and STILL be worried you are going to break the spider gears on the starting line, which is exactly the way I felt every time I staged the car..
Old 12-21-2003, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Werd KP. I'm selling my 12 bolt this spring and getting a 9" with 35 spline axles, 4.56's, and a locker. I can live with the popping and banging of the locker better than the howl of the 12 bolt.

Bruce
Old 12-21-2003, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Default A Lot of Good Info Going Around Here...

Thanks all to the great discussion going on. This is a crucial area for F Bods, so the information is valued. I like the fact that you can easily bolt up the Strange, but I also have a friend who is an awesome fabricator who is set up with a jig for a 9" rear.

My wheels are still spinning. I'm also on the lookout for the 9" in boneyards...