Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 / Spec 3 / Monster 3 clutch decision

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS7 / Spec 3 / Monster 3 clutch decision

I have the LS7 setup (not installed) and a thread going on regarding my LS7 install process BUT, i wanted to start another because Ive been thinking if i should go another direction.
I know KurtRardin loves his Monster, many love their Specs just as the same for the LS7 set up.

H/C/I/9inch, suspension mods. Will see the track maybe 3 times a year or so. I want the most out of this clutch upgrade for DD and a few track/street runs here and there..

With my set-up, Im guessing somewhere between 420-450 HP. Can i get some feedback from those that are using any of the above? vendors feel free to chime in, Im looking to purchase Monday depending on the feedback i get from you guys! again, Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Last edited by johnzss; 01-09-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just installed my monster level 4 yesterday and i love it.i have already tried the ls7 and spec 3plus and the monster is the bomb!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Is 420-450 wheel HP or brake HP? If it's 420-450 RWHP then I've had great success w/ a Spec 3+. I'd stay away from a Spec 3 only because it's a puck design (not a full faced wear surface). I have no experience w/ a Monster, so can't comment on one. If 420-450 is BHP, an LS7 clutch doesn't sound like a bad choice either.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

the spec3plus performed extremely well my beef with spec is that the clutch started slipping entirely to soon at 7000 miles.I upgraded from an Ls7 to the spec3 plus and then after the slippage issue I went with monster level 4.dude i can not stop driving my car!I love this monster clutch!!!

2000 SS M6 extremely modded H/C 92 Fast Intake 92mm Nick Williams ThrottleBody Moser9inch.H/C by MTI everything else LATE MODEL RACECRAFT
150 wet shot window switch
Old 01-09-2010, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

Im guessing it will be around 420-250 RWHP, havent dyno'd yet. So i got 2 in for the monster 4, 1 for the spec 3+.
Im having a hard time making up my mind, since i have the LS7, I am leaning towards just installing this, get the feel for myself and when it starts slipping I'll go for a aftermarket clutch...? so many choices, all with such good reviews, this will be fun
Old 01-10-2010, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I have experience with all three. The spec 3 wasnt too bad but the chatter never went away, and it wore out in only like 10k. So I went to a ls7 when I had the tranny built. The ls7 was real nice but unfortunatly I dont care what anyone says those clutches put alot of strain on the tranny with stock hydros. The stock slave doesnt throw enough to full disengage the pressure plate. Now my tranny is getting fixed again and this time I just installed a Monster stg 3. The Monster from what I gather will chatter a bit when new but the harder you beat it the better.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Justins00ss
Well I have experience with all three. The spec 3 wasnt too bad but the chatter never went away, and it wore out in only like 10k. So I went to a ls7 when I had the tranny built. The ls7 was real nice but unfortunatly I dont care what anyone says those clutches put alot of strain on the tranny with stock hydros. The stock slave doesnt throw enough to full disengage the pressure plate. Now my tranny is getting fixed again and this time I just installed a Monster stg 3. The Monster from what I gather will chatter a bit when new but the harder you beat it the better.
well thats sounds good about a monster stage 3thats what im getting for my stock c5z i also hope that it last way more than 10 k miles and that it wont slip ........and when i order my stage 3 monster do u recomend getting an adjustable cylinder....?
Old 01-10-2010, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by c5z16z
well thats sounds good about a monster stage 3thats what im getting for my stock c5z i also hope that it last way more than 10 k miles and that it wont slip ........and when i order my stage 3 monster do u recomend getting an adjustable cylinder....?

You dont need it. I just used a new stock one. Ive heard good and bad about the Tick units. Iam not going to knock it because Ive never used one.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

make sure when you do your break in on the clutch that you stay off the freeway and drive in alot of stop and go traffic and the chatter will be gone by the time you hit 150miles.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

I am sitting at 415 at the rear and I have a ls7 I installed a few months back. It holds up great and feels great for driving around. I have put it through some abuse and it has no problem taking it. Not a big fan of Spec but I have been wanting to try out a monster and will probably end up getting one after a few more mods and a rear end.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

also the monster stage 4 is overkill for you. Better off going with a 3.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Launching!

have any of you guys heard whats the life of a monster clutch how long would they last?
Old 01-10-2010, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

I had 23K on my Monster level 3, and it had a lot more left in it when it came out. I had a small rear main leak that caused it to chatter on take off, but it never slipped - and that was pre-cam (395/415). It always grabbed hard, street or track, and I beat the hell out of every day.

When SNL did my cam swap and new Tick tranny, they installed a level 6. The pedal is lighter than the level 3, I get no chatter, and it grabs hard all the time. I love it. The level 4 is NOT overkill for you, although it is rated quite a bit higher than you need. The level 3 would work perfectly fine, but I think you would like the level 4 just as well. The guys at SNL/ Monster Clutches can help you pick the right one for your needs, and they will take good care of you. Best customer service out there. BTW, their level 3 and up are all puck clutches. They provide better cooling for more reliable service, and less slippage under repeated abuse - which is where the LS7 clutch fails.

http://www.monsterclutches.com/gm.html
Old 01-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

I agree you will be completely find either way.Steve at monster told me that the level 4 was the same as the level 3 just had a stickier disc and so far I am completely impressed.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Teching In

i've love my SPEC 3+ i'm not making anywhere near that much power though
Old 01-11-2010, 12:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bloodhoundz28
make sure when you do your break in on the clutch that you stay off the freeway and drive in alot of stop and go traffic and the chatter will be gone by the time you hit 150miles.
Great advice, and never knew this. thanks!

Originally Posted by rabiddog
I am sitting at 415 at the rear and I have a ls7 I installed a few months back. It holds up great and feels great for driving around. I have put it through some abuse and it has no problem taking it. Not a big fan of Spec but I have been wanting to try out a monster and will probably end up getting one after a few more mods and a rear end.
Yeah, I will most likely be doing the same as you.. I guess since i have the LS7, I'll see what its all about then when it comes to replacing, Monster 4 is next on the list! Everyones feedback on this thing is nothing but positive stuff.

Originally Posted by hivoltagedriver
I had 23K on my Monster level 3, and it had a lot more left in it when it came out. I had a small rear main leak that caused it to chatter on take off, but it never slipped - and that was pre-cam (395/415). It always grabbed hard, street or track, and I beat the hell out of every day.

When SNL did my cam swap and new Tick tranny, they installed a level 6. The pedal is lighter than the level 3, I get no chatter, and it grabs hard all the time. I love it. The level 4 is NOT overkill for you, although it is rated quite a bit higher than you need. The level 3 would work perfectly fine, but I think you would like the level 4 just as well. The guys at SNL/ Monster Clutches can help you pick the right one for your needs, and they will take good care of you. Best customer service out there. BTW, their level 3 and up are all puck clutches. They provide better cooling for more reliable service, and less slippage under repeated abuse - which is where the LS7 clutch fails.

http://www.monsterclutches.com/gm.html
Cool man, right on! Yeah, good products + good service is a deal maker for me. I'll do more research myself on some monster clutches just so i can have a better understanding on such a good product
Old 01-11-2010, 06:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Justins00ss
Unfortunatly I dont care what anyone says those clutches put alot of strain on the tranny with stock hydros. The stock slave doesnt throw enough to full disengage the pressure plate.

Am not sure what you mean by "those clutches," but, it's on you or the installer if the clutch is not properly installed. A measurement needs to be made to ensure proper & full release. If the hydraulic travel isn't enough to fully dissengage, then a shim needs to be added &/or an adjustable master should be used.

johnzss, an adjustable master cylinder is always a good idea. As clutch parts wear, an adjustable master will allow you to increase slave cylinder travel. It will also allow for optimum initial install release point, regardless of which clutch you decide on. Also, you may want to try a "puck" style clutch before buying one, if possible. IMO, they pretty much suck.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:12 AM
Staging Lane

I have tried the Luke clutch,Ls7,Spec3 plus and now the Monster level4 and those other clutches simple don't compare and I'm using a stock new MC and Slave with no problems what so ever however everybody has a different opinion.One thing for sure research all you want on Monster clutches you won't find people bad mouthing those clutches!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:20 AM
FormerVendor

Remember, clutch life and performance are related to a number of factors including installation, break-in, driving style, power/torque level, and usage type, etc... That being said for great street manners and high capacity you can't go wrong with a stage 3+ which uses a full-faces carbon-semi-metallic disc material and our high-clamp 12" pressure-plate. Let me know if you have any questions about our product and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

my spec 3+ never gave me one single problem, just started slipping entirely to soon!I have always use professionals when it comes to any aspect of my car and those same professionals are the ones who highly recommended that I put that spec 3+ in my car.These same professionals have installed numerous clutches for me and we've never ever have had any clutch related issues.

Quick Reply: LS7 / Spec 3 / Monster 3 clutch decision