LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

diy intake and feels like i lost power

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diy intake and feels like i lost power

i made my own intake with small cone filter on the mass and mounted it at the end of the pipe. when i was done it felt like i lost power, didnt pull like it normally does. i was wondering if yal think the filter could be to small and if i should leave the stock air box and cut the inlet hole bigger and run a smooth pipe for tb to mass. thanks
Old 01-23-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

I don't know if it's the problem, but when you change the way air hits the MAF sensor you change the way it reads. So you could have lost power because you are running rich or lean and possibly getting spark knock too from the A/F being off. When I swapped my intake manifold, I changed the angle of the bend and it really threw my MAF tune off.

Last edited by nmp0098; 01-24-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-24-2010, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

typically a cone intake like that does two things. It introduces hot air and it causes a lean condition. Hot air is obviosly bad for power and you might be getting knock timing retard from being too lean/hot in the cylinders. Scan for knock before doing anything else.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Launching!

i did the same thing before my k&n and yes i agree it did feel like it lost a bit of power sometimes but also like it gained power other times... when i just started in the mornings itd feel a lil more powerful, after a full day it felt a lil slow so yes its the hot air..
Old 01-24-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by willybuck
i made my own intake with small cone filter on the mass and mounted it at the end of the pipe. when i was done it felt like i lost power, didnt pull like it normally does. i was wondering if yal think the filter could be to small and if i should leave the stock air box and cut the inlet hole bigger and run a smooth pipe for tb to mass. thanks
It's either your design or your tune. Your tune is almost definitely off. What are the dimensions of your design?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Teching In

well today i took the filter off and it felt alot better good throttle response and power. did some mod. to the filter and put it back on and loses power. i think the filter is just not enough for the air demand and it is just a cheap advance cone filter too.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Always get the best quality and largest cone filter you can fit. ALSO:: Very Important:
Do NOT make up a filter set up like the cheapo ones you see on ebay, with the filter just stuck on the end of the MAF sensor out in the open engine bay. Your just sucking in HOT air, its worse then the OEM set up. You need to isolate the filter from the engine bay heat, use or make an air box that's open in the front. I made an insulated aluminum box with a clear lexan cover.
Attached Thumbnails diy intake and feels like i lost power-monteengine1.jpg  
Old 01-25-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

This is why products such as K&N are actually worth the money they ask for them. The amount of R&D and quality of materials as well as production processes put into products by these major corporations is very difficult to match by a DIYer. I say difficult because it can be done, it's just not the easiest thing in the world to do.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
This is why products such as K&N are actually worth the money they ask for them. The amount of R&D and quality of materials as well as production processes put into products by these major corporations is very difficult to match by a DIYer. I say difficult because it can be done, it's just not the easiest thing in the world to do.
Agreed...this would be a good opportunity to get a CAI intake for $150 (cheap!!): https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...your-pick.html
Old 01-25-2010, 05:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah, buy Hexx's CAI box... you can't beat it! and that's a VERY good price for it...

I have one on my Monte... works great...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Quick Reply: diy intake and feels like i lost power