need help with external hard drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help with external hard drive

is there anybody thats willing to help me recover some data on my external. theres a lot of pics and videos that i would love to get back. im in san antonio and just want some help. im not to computer friendly. thanx
Old 01-24-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What happened that your having trouble recovering it?
Old 01-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

I was using the external and had it sitting on my bed. I had to leave so I left it on the bed turned on. I came back and the light was just flashing. now it wont work. Ive tried putting it in another enclosure but nothing.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

as far as i know it pretty much a goner, give me any details you got on it brand size ect. And color of light. I'm pretty good at this stuff, if I think I can figured it out ill be happy to help you out.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

um i took it out of the enclosure already, and have been trying to see what i can do. the light was the same color as it usually was(light blue), it was just flashing. its an omega and the size was 1tb
Old 01-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

um,,, what is this?
Old 01-25-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

UGH, please excuse my stupid confusing post. I was trying to do it from my phone. HAH. Basicly, unplug it from your computer and pull out the USB cord, and then pull out the power cord. Leave it unplugged for five minutes. After doing so Plug in the power cord first. Let it start up and reboot. After its done so, then plug it in to the computer, at this point the light should of stopped blinking, once plugged into the computer it can take up to 5 minutes for it to recognize the HD. If the problem is what i think it is, it should be fixed at this point. All your data on it. Obviously your going to have to put it back in its enclosure. Hopefully you haven't damaged it while taking it out, as i've read that the omegas as pretty sensitive and unreliable. Which is why i didn't get one.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That help?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

sorry, i just took it to a mom and pop shop that does good work. my buddy told me about them. seems its shot. the drive doesnt even spin up. i was told i could probably send it in
Old 01-27-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh ok, well i hope whatever you decide to do helps get you your data back. Only advise i can offer now is to not get another omega, i have 3 western digitals over a period of 3 years and never had a problem with them. I'll also send a pm to get good deals for them.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

kool thanx. im already letting my buddy know cause hes got the same one i do
Old 01-27-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know what ends up happening. The same thing happened to me and I had thousands of songs on it. Mine was a Seagate and the quote they gave me to extract the data was $500-$1500 depending on what they found. I opted the route to just buy a new drive and start the ripping process again with my music. I still have the drive though so if there is a reasonable option I want to know.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZL1SS
Let us know what ends up happening. The same thing happened to me and I had thousands of songs on it. Mine was a Seagate and the quote they gave me to extract the data was $500-$1500 depending on what they found. I opted the route to just buy a new drive and start the ripping process again with my music. I still have the drive though so if there is a reasonable option I want to know.
i was told the same thing. dont really know another route. might just end up payin later cause i got a lot of pictures and vids of daughter deployments and stuff
Old 01-27-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i get ya, it sucks cause they know they can charge alot since usually people have alot of things there really willing to pay. actually, i think i know of something that you can use to extract the data yourself, cost like 50$ i'll look it up and let you all know.