Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Poly bushings (front control arms)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Poly bushings (front control arms)

So it seems to be the general consensus not to run poly bushings in the front control arm due to possible binding.

I have a budget build on my daily driver and I happen to have a set of control arms with energy bushings already installed. This car is strictly a daily driver and does not see any autocrossing or drag racing. I am also is California so the temps only range from 40-90 deg year round F

My suspension is apart right now due to a recent motor swap. Should I delay the project and save up to get Moog replacement bushings or will I be ok running the poly bushings in a daily driver application?
Old 01-29-2010, 06:01 AM
TECH Addict

I just replaced all the bushings on my car with poly bushings and I haven't had any problems
Old 01-29-2010, 07:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Seeing how the vehicle is a daily driver I would highly suggest going with a poly bushing. And I just wanted to leave you know that UMI Performance offers a set of poly uppers and a set of lowers with one side poly (the other side has to so there is no binding issues). Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...jjenseje3jlrg2

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...jjenseje3jlrg2

If you have any other questions feel free to ask! And I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 01-29-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the roads in your area are reasonably smooth, then the poly bushings will work well for you. I've been using poly bushings off and on in my cars since the "early generation" of them first became available in the late 70s.

However, the roads where I live are pretty rough, and as the tire profiles became lower and sidewalls became stiffer, I backed away from them, as they transmitted to much impact from the expansion strips, pot holes, etc, into the car. I did have them in my '96 Z-28, but removed them after 1 summer of driving.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Thanks everyone for your responses.

The roads I'm in are fairly smooth. My main concern isn't so much the comfort as it is the safety. I've been reading posts of people saying that they will just pop out, break, etc. Of course comfort is an issue but before we address that I want to make sure that they're not going to break if I went over a large pothole.

UMI: My control arms have a poly bushing where yours have a rod end.

For what its worth, my stock back bushings on my control arms were completely destroyed when I removed them.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Free bump...

i would also like some more input on this subject too. i have new lcas, sfcs, phb, strano springs and koni 4/4s waiting to go in the next warm day we get in jersey, and im wondering if when i have the front suspension apart if i should swap in some poly bushings to complement everything else.

and to the OP, sorry not trying to hijack the thread, i was just going to post a thread on the same thing lol
Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Banned

The only time bushing binding occurs is when the suspension piece is moving against it's natural motion. If you have that flaw in the car in the first place, no bushing will help, unless it's rod end.

Stick with the poly.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
Thanks everyone for your responses.

UMI: My control arms have a poly bushing where yours have a rod end.

For what its worth, my stock back bushings on my control arms were completely destroyed when I removed them.
Hello
That is the reason why we manufactured the control arms to be able to use a rod end. Because when that arm needs to articulate that is when you get bushing bind. And that is the reason why the bushing was shot. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad

Quick Reply: Poly bushings (front control arms)