Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Grind?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Grind?

Hey i am just another newb lookin for a good cam in my car. Its gonna be a DD, i love the lope, i want this car to be just beasty sounding. My only mods im gonna have are LS6 intake manifold, LT headers, CAI, and FAST TB later in the future.. I am kinda lookin at a 224/224 112lsa? Or a xr275hr cam? Idk just throw some ideas out there for me..
Old 02-01-2010, 04:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you an auto or M6? If your an auto you may want to get a stall. I would say go with a 228 on 112, VRX3 cam those shouldn't be hard to tune, great DD. If your an M6 some would say go with a Tourqer V2 or MS3 but I don't know but those will really need a good tuner but they will have to do a driveability tune on it. Me I run a clone of the VRX 3 cam.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can shoot one our our sales guys a PM with the details on what you are looking for out of the car or give us a call and we can get a custom grind or shelf cam setup to get you to your goals on your car. We have done extensive cam testing on out in-house engine dyno and chassis dyno to ensure we have the experience to get you where you want to be!

Jon
Old 02-01-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^^there you go. just ask the experts
Old 02-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Internet Mechanic

I run a VRx4 which is a decent cam. 228/230 @ 112 LSA but I think its on a XE lobe, and put down 384 to the ground on a m6/12 bolt w/ 4.10's

IMO Its kinda wussy. But for down low power it does very well. No head work yet so a bump in CR would help as well.

As for MS4/Trex type cames those are top end cams and for street cars, it may NOT be the best choice.

At this point for the cost of even tossing in a new cam for me is still expensive as I would need to do Springs, Timing Chain, Cam, and possibly push rods and def would do an oil pump (maybe gaskets), as well as fluids and dyno tune. Its upwards of 1,000.00!! For the 15-30 hp inc I could toss on a 100-150 shot and call it a day OR when the motor goes, its going big cube so the cam will change again.

Long story short, spend the money once.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Ohh yaa i forgot to add that its an M6.. With stock gears/rearend.

Alright Jon i will contact you guys cause i was actually lookin at your cam swap packages that come with the necessary mods when puttin in a different cam.

And i kinda want to keep mileage pretty decent to, would larger cams reduce that? The low end torque is all what im about since i had an LT1 and those are fun on low range..

Hey screamin machine i thought a larger cam like that would put down more hp? Cause i am lookin to get into the 400range with out the heads, but they will come later.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Oh and thanks for all your help guys!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by 95CamaroLS1
Ohh yaa i forgot to add that its an M6.. With stock gears/rearend.

Alright Jon i will contact you guys cause i was actually lookin at your cam swap packages that come with the necessary mods when puttin in a different cam.

And i kinda want to keep mileage pretty decent to, would larger cams reduce that? The low end torque is all what im about since i had an LT1 and those are fun on low range..

Hey screamin machine i thought a larger cam like that would put down more hp? Cause i am lookin to get into the 400range with out the heads, but they will come later.
I have seen this cam do at best 400-405 and that was on a m6/10 bolt. I have a 3" steel DS and 12 bolt and that is what is probably eating up the 20ish hp.

What you will learn and unfortuately no sponsor here will admit is that not all cams are ground correctly and for the one or 2 guys who made stupid power, there are many more who make average. It could be the block, heads, tune and a few other things but the only ones that has made consistant power no matter who uses it is the T-rex. Again a top end cam but that is one where I feel it should not be sent off to a Cam Dr to double chk it. Most sponsors will tell you to check it with a wheel but for most of use who do 1-2 cam swaps in 5 years its a judgement call.

The other thing that does make a difference is what lobes are used, and how the cam works with them in relation to the heads. Aggressive lobes make better power but are harder on the valve train.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

I have pretty much made my decision with a MTi X1 cam.. But the only problem is finding it or someone who can custom grind that for me lol..
Old 02-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Internet Mechanic

Pm Patrick G, See the GenIII section.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Ya i read his 500rwhp recipe thread, very informative! Thanks for the help ScreaminMachine