Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Purchase Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Purchase Questions

Hi, I am a car enthusiast looking to get into the LS1 scene. I have been looking at purchasing diff cars and I found a good deal on a WS6 T/A with 135k miles on it. Needs some work but the seller only wants 4,500 obo for it. Only problem is that it has an auto tranny and I know I want a 6 speed. Any opinions as to whether I should buy the car and do a T56 swap or wait and buy a car with a 6 speed already in it? How tough is it to do a T56 swap? I am pretty good with a wrench. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Look forward to talking to y'all more in the future as I become more familiar with the site.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a decent deal depending on the body and what kind of work it needs. However, DO NOT buy it if you really want a 6 speed. You are looking at a minimum of $1000, but more than likely $1500+ to get all the conversion parts for a T56. Not to mention doing the work. Why don't you just look at the $6000 dollar range if you plan on doing a swap later on because that's probably what you'll have into it. Plenty of 6 speed fbodys out there, don't get impatient and buy something you regret.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

to the OP...if you have never driven in a stalled Auto behind an LS1.......well you are missing out, I would buy this, throw a stall in it, and if your still not convinced, then get your transmission swap.....but i promise you.....its defiantly a new experience... or a stalled auto in any high hp car for that matter, not necessarily an LS1...
Old 02-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Well like I said I think I can get an even lower price on it and it already has hooker headers. I could drive it first with an auto and see how I like it with a stall. But im also looking at doing some engine mods if I purchase it. Just a tough decision because it's a pretty good deal for the car. The owner said it needs a radiator flush, a new hose, new battery, and a headlight motor. What do y'all think? thanks for the comments so far
Old 02-03-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

I say wait to you find a 6 speed. By the time you put all the money in it you could find one with a 6 speed possibly with less miles for less!
Old 02-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Teching In

How much does the average 6 speed swap cost?
Old 02-04-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

1000-1500 to do it right...... if you do everything yourself, you could probably buy all the parts though that you need from tech and the scrap yard for around 600-700 bucks including the transmission...
Old 02-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Teching In

I might do that then. Because I think I can get the car for under 4 grand and I think that's a pretty good deal even though it needs some work. I've been reading about the swap and I'm sure I can do it. Like you said I can assemble the parts and just drive it around until I get them together. I think I can do it cheap as long as I am patient