Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Tru Trac Carnage!!! PICS

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tru Trac Carnage!!! PICS

This is what happened to my Trutrac in the 12 bolt at Draggin Rights.

Not really sure what caused this to happen. Can anyone tell me what would cause it to get hot and gaud up like that? Just another high dollar boat anchor now!!

Last edited by BlackNightmare; 02-06-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Tru-Tracs suck now. That's what happened
Old 02-07-2010, 05:28 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eaton bought out Detroit, who made the Truetrac, several years ago. Shortly after that, people started having problems with the Truetracs, so they had to have made a change in them for the worst. Until they get the Truetrac redesigned, I have removed them from being an option with the Moser rears on my website. Bob
Old 02-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Eaton bought out Detroit, who made the Truetrac, several years ago. Shortly after that, people started having problems with the Truetracs, so they had to have made a change in them for the worst. Until they get the Truetrac redesigned, I have removed them from being an option with the Moser rears on my website. Bob
That is why I ordered the spool from you and have it installed and ready to go. I do not understand why it got so hot and gauded like it did and pretty much melted the big gear. The spool is different to drive on the street but its bearable. I am glad I got a GTO to DD.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was this an auto or m6 car?
Old 02-20-2010, 06:31 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackNightmare
That is why I ordered the spool from you and have it installed and ready to go. I do not understand why it got so hot and gauded like it did and pretty much melted the big gear. The spool is different to drive on the street but its bearable. I am glad I got a GTO to DD.
Thanks for the order, I appreciate it. You might want to send the pic's to Eaton, so they can see what happened to it. Bob
Old 02-21-2010, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could some of the problem be use in the wrong application, I always thought the true tracs were more for daily driving, auto cross and road racing where you're doing alot of change of direction. And most of the folks who seem do be having problems with them are using them for drag racing, which is not their intended application. So if you think about it a clutch style posi would burn up or break if too much traction and weight are applied to it, a cone style would seize up or brake just like the true trac. Personally if I were going to drag race my car often or use slicks I'd only run a Detroit locker or a spool. That's why I just got a Detroit locker for my Dana 60 to replace my true trac since I want to do more drag racing with it this year and I don't want to worry about breaking anything.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Damnn, I put one in my Silverado back in september or so... No problems... But I don't launch it lol...
Old 02-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Internet Mechanic

I've been saying Try Tracs are junk for years now, glad to see that people are getting pics. Unfortunately the 1st step is for them not to unlock, the next is the diff blowing up. I gotta get a spool in mine.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
Could some of the problem be use in the wrong application, I always thought the true tracs were more for daily driving, auto cross and road racing where you're doing alot of change of direction. And most of the folks who seem do be having problems with them are using them for drag racing, which is not their intended application. So if you think about it a clutch style posi would burn up or break if too much traction and weight are applied to it, a cone style would seize up or brake just like the true trac. Personally if I were going to drag race my car often or use slicks I'd only run a Detroit locker or a spool. That's why I just got a Detroit locker for my Dana 60 to replace my true trac since I want to do more drag racing with it this year and I don't want to worry about breaking anything.
The Tru Tracs are for guys who do not race, nor drive aggressivly. Maybe a street rod application.

Quick Reply: Tru Trac Carnage!!! PICS