Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

KYB Struts and shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYB Struts and shocks?

I am looking at buying some KYB shocks and struts to replace on my 2000 ss m6 and was wondering if any1 has run them and what your opinions are. The car will be driven only on the street and my myself and my 60 year old father i was liiking at the adjustables for the front and the nons for the rear.I will also put new stock springs on at the same time and lca's, phb, poly trans and motor mounts and get it tuned. What are yalls opinons or suggestions for a noob?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love mine. I have had them on for over 2 years and I have never had any problems with them. For a car that is not used for Auto-X these are a great deal for what you pay.. I would buy these again in a heartbeat.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Default no1 else

is usafcrewchief01 the only person on the whole forun that has an opinion on KYB shocks and struts?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

I just put the adjustables on the front of my car and i love them. Now im thinking about getting the rear too.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

to the two who do have them. Is your car lowered? I have bmr springs they say use tokicko (sp) no adjustable. I just need something decent for a daily driver car does not see the track.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

No my car is stock height I'm setting it up more for the track but its my daily driver too
Old 02-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Launching!

Mine currently is stock height, however my strano springs are waiting to be installed when I get home from Korea in May. These shocks were a great value, considering I am not trying to race my car in an Auto-X event. It all depends on your goals/setup, and that will determine whether they work for you or not. I give them 2 thumbs up. Maybe Sam Strano can give you some more advice on the good vs the bad. Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Found this in another recent post by Sam Strano.

Q: Originally Posted by DCfirebird967
sam i need some advice. i have 96' v6 firebird. i have bmr's springs sitting in my garage waiting to be installed but i just want to get some shocks so i can do the install all at once.
as much as i want koni's even with the sale that you have going on right now i dont want to break my bank account with 750$ shocks. so what else would you recommend?? car is a DD will see the track a few times this year and mountain curves=

A: What I'd recommend is either these or a set of AGX's. The AGX's are adjustable, in a sort of crude way, and are more cheaply built than the Bilstein's which are not adjustable, but are much better built and will last longer... and ride better too. -
Old 02-13-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AGX's are decent for the coin. You should put them on the rear too so you can balance your handling.....
Old 02-13-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

I'm planning on getting these shocks. My car is usually street driven with occasional drag so it would be nice to be able to adjust them easily depending on what my car is doing.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

I'm going to be brutally honest mopar kid :

Kyb's suck. I have them and completely hate them. Ya they "aren't that bad", but are marginally better than stock, and are a cheap shock. Personally I would keep the stock DeCarbons, save up and wait to do koni's or AT LEAST bilsteins.

Again, they aren't that bad, but I'm fairly certain you'd regret it after feeling how they ride- especially if you ever ride in a car with good shocks.

I rode in a friend of a friends (lol) bilstein (not even koni) equipped car and it rode WAY better than my kyb's. And after talking to Strano I decided to just go Koni and never look back.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pro_built7
I'm going to be brutally honest mopar kid :

Kyb's suck. I have them and completely hate them. Ya they "aren't that bad", but are marginally better than stock, and are a cheap shock. Personally I would keep the stock DeCarbons, save up and wait to do koni's or AT LEAST bilsteins.

Again, they aren't that bad, but I'm fairly certain you'd regret it after feeling how they ride- especially if you ever ride in a car with good shocks.

I rode in a friend of a friends (lol) bilstein (not even koni) equipped car and it rode WAY better than my kyb's. And after talking to Strano I decided to just go Koni and never look back.
i'll buy them from you
Old 02-13-2010, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

im running agx's with strano springs.

ive never understood all the negative feedback these shocks get...mine ride fine for my tastes, theyre nice and firm and dont bottom out...and im driving around on the pos streets of san francisco. these shocks are definitely worth $400 imo...but ive never been in a car with konis...
Old 02-16-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mediocrels1
im running agx's with strano springs.

ive never understood all the negative feedback these shocks get...mine ride fine for my tastes, theyre nice and firm and dont bottom out...and im driving around on the pos streets of san francisco. these shocks are definitely worth $400 imo...but ive never been in a car with konis...
I had strano springs / kyb shocks until I rode in a koni equipped car. (have also rode in a bilstein car)...

Needless to say- there went $1100 something to Strano for Koni's and his sway bars.- it took little convincing to get me to switch.

Quick Reply: KYB Struts and shocks?