Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST 92/92 questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAST 92/92 questions

I currently have ARH 1 7/8" headers with cats, magnaflow catback, and I plan on installing my FAST 92mm intake and throttle body. Since tuning isnt exactly cheap, I want to do it once. Is it safe to drive with a FAST 92/92 and ARHs without a tune? Will I also need bigger injectors if these are my only mods? And it looks like I will have to do a throttle body bypass since there are no coolant lines for the 92mm throttle body, how safe is it to drive in Vancouver BC Canada with the throttle body bypass?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

You will be fine without a tune and with a coolant bypass mod. All the coolant does is flow in one side and right back out kinda pointless to me so way not bypass it
Old 02-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Launching!

I know I will need bigger injectors if I get a cam, but for these mods only will stock injectors be enough?
Old 02-13-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

you should be fine with stock injectors. most guys running cams still use stock injectors. i'm on stock and have LTs, cam and FAST 90.

as for driving without the tune, you should be fine, but theres a chance you're not.

i know on my setup i was pretty lean on the first dyno run after the FAST install. enough so that we shut the dyno run off well below peak.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You will be fine. I just installed my fast 92/ptm92 and using fast fuel rails, stock injectors, kooks 1-7/8 race headers and blah blah blah and I love it! Best money I have ever spent! I mean WOW!!!! You should have no problems, I am running a stock tune.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:07 PM
12 Second Club

You might get away with it, but you would be MUCH better off, and a lot safer having it tuned - not to mention picking up some power. On the odd ball chance that your car is one of the ones that runs lean, and you run it WOT one too many times that way, well... it's your motor. Every car is different, and nobody here can tell you for sure that you will be OK.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hivoltagedriver
You might get away with it, but you would be MUCH better off, and a lot safer having it tuned - not to mention picking up some power. On the odd ball chance that your car is one of the ones that runs lean, and you run it WOT one too many times that way, well... it's your motor. Every car is different, and nobody here can tell you for sure that you will be OK.
I will be getting it tuned, but I was wondering how safe is it to drive it to the place to get it tuned. I would say the tuner's place is around an hour to hour and a half drive away from my home where I am installing the intake.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

part throttle the computer will compensate...no sweat.

its the WOT that could do harm
Old 04-18-2010, 12:28 AM
Launching!

well I ran into a small problem just as i started the install for the intake, the SLP smooth bellows that I have currently have on it doesnt fit on the FAST 92 throttle body. What can I do about this? And since I plan on doing a cam, I am going to buy new injectors and fuel rails. Going to go with FAST, but what do I need to purchase? I know I need the rails and injectors, but do I also need the fuel line conversion kit from fast?
Old 04-18-2010, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont need to do the fuel rails if you don't want to. They are more than adequate for what your doing. I'm making over 500whp and and still running the stock rails/fuel pump, and aftermarket injectors slide right on the stock rails too. The stock rails will fit on the FAST92. The FAST comes with everything you need to install it.

If you still have the OEM bellow, boil it in water for about 20-30 seconds and slap in on the TB immediately. It will form to the bigger TB and will stay that way. That's what I did and was absolutely fine. It slides right on and off now, if not you are going to have to buy another coupler. The OEM coupler isn't going to rob you of any power so I won't worry about it. The SLP bellow is more flash than performance.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:25 AM
Launching!

I want the fuel rails just for the bling factor and injectors just to be safe. but will the boiling trick work with the SLP bellows:?
Old 04-18-2010, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe, you can give it a shot but don't know how the boiling could possibly effect the silicone... It might hurt it so I am not going to recommend doing it. If you want a new coupler then check this out.
http://store.airflo.com/rubber-hoses---clamps.html
Saw it on here a while ago and favorited it. For the fuel rails then, I would just buy the full FAST fuel rail kit. Should come with everything that you need bro. The injectors will not be needed until cam time though for sure. Up to you though, you'll need them eventually fella Don't install the injectors until it's tune time though, you'll run a chance of washing out your cylinder walls.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Launching!

just tried that hot water one with the stock accordian bellows, and didnt work. And I am currently looking at that link you just sent. And I dont know which one would work. The outside diameter of the throttle body is 4 1/8 inches and the stock accordian bellows is just 4 inches, so I dont know on that site which one would work.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try a big rubber pluming fitting from the hardware store. have you considered a mail order tune from Frost?
Old 04-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Launching!

kinda hard to mail something to the states and back cheap. nope I havent tried anything from the hardware store yet. But I decided to hold out on the install until i get a set of heads and cam.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

You can work the SLP smooth bellow on there. Thats what I have been using since I put on my FAST 92. It'll stretch.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am also using the slp smooth bellow and all i did was put it in the microwave a couple of seconds and It strectched right over the tb. I also sent you a pm on some rails..
Old 04-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Since the fast 92 is a multipiece design, is it possible to seal it with silicon instead of using the rubber gasket?
Old 04-19-2010, 03:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

You could but it would do the exact same thing as the rubber gasket. Glad someone posted up about the bellow though, never thought about the microwave. Sorry you didn't have much luck with the stocker. I forgot to post that it did take some fenagling to get on there though. If you where going to try and order one from that sight though, I can't remember the sizes. I think I was going to do a 4"-4" because I am running a Z06 MAF. If you are still running the stock MAF the then I would say 3-4 would be better. If i remember correctly the stock accordian is a little over 3" I think.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

U dont need a tune for headers and intake...if you change the injectors and or cam you will though