Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning a turbo LS1 with EFI Live

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning a turbo LS1 with EFI Live

Just finished a turbo build on my 99 WS6 and now I'm to the tuning stage. I have a commercial version of EFI Live and an LC1 wideband. I was reading the tutorials in EFI Live and it suggested switching to a 2002 operating system. I downloaded the 2002 OS from their website but haven't done anything with it yet. Reading further in the tutorials it said for boost I should use a custom OS they (EFI Live) have available.

What's your guy's take on this? Should I go with the custom OS from EFI Live? Can I just load these things onto my stock (1999) computer? The tutorials aren't too clear on what hardware is necessary. I realize custom adjusting will be necessary but I want to make sure I'm starting from the right square in the first place.

I got some feedback on the FI forum saying I'll need one of the custom operating systems and this is the answer I've been leaning towards all along. Does anyone have experience dealing with EFI Live and obtaining one of their custom operating systems?

I've read most of the relevant posts that I found using the search but I'm still fuzzy in areas and I don't want to screw this up. Also checked the file repository but I'm not sure what I can use. I see a 408 turbo camaro listed, but its an auto and I have the T56. Can I easily (within reason) modify this file to use on my car?

I guess I should mention that I'm MAF-less and have the 2 bar map sensor from a cobalt plugged into my intake manifold. Looking to go SD. Any help you experienced people can offer is appreciated.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

COS is the way to go.. 2 bar or 3 bar map!
Old 02-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brianfromhawaii
COS is the way to go.. 2 bar or 3 bar map!
Where do I find one of these?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

efi live offers them for $ i beleive
Old 02-16-2010, 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

The custom os are free with EfiLive, I think they are a $ upgrade with hp tuners
Old 02-17-2010, 07:51 AM
Launching!

The EFI live COS are free.

You just flash in the 02 OS, then you flash in the COS and then a calibration flash after that.
Its simple and its free.

The COS5 has everything you would want to run boost or nitrous safely/effectively.
Even has a VE table that works off throttle position for those really big cams.

Its easier than it sounds.

Go to the EFI live forums..http://forum.efilive.com/

Look in the custom operating systems section.

I have been running this OS on my bolt on only car for a few months to get the hang of it before I make some changes to my car.

Brad
Old 02-18-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The COS5 file is 02020005.tun and is located under My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Bins\Custom OS.

02020005.tun has the calibrations blanked out.

Read this and its links: COS5 FAQ... the COS5 thread can be fairly lengthy...

Find a 12212156 migration file at www.holdencrazy.com (under Modified Tunes search for "migrated"), and copy your current tables into it... full flash this in and make sure your car starts and runs on this... do some "approximate" tuning to get it running.

Full flash in 02020005 (i.e. OS and and blank calibrations), then cal flash in 12212156 (i.e. only the calibrations).

Read the PCM back and save to file (name it 02020005_0000.tun)... this is now your first working 02020005 file, this is is where you will be editing from now on...

now, before doing any edits, look at all the tables in the custom segment, if you see any cells with blue dog ears, these cells are out of range (for which the tunetool displays the max or min values)... set these cells to in-range values (i.e. max-1 or min+1)... also, disable TP VE for now (leave it disabled until you need it, if you need it)... do Save As (filename will bump to 02020005_0001.tun).

[ in the tunetool, when saving file, do Save As to increments the filename sequence number... e.g. the filename will look like 02020005_xxxx.tun where the xxxx increments with each Save As;

in the scantool, in Edit->Properties, under the Folders tab, set the log file template to 02020005_xxxx_<seq_id> where the xxxx is the same as the last .tun file you flashed... each time you save a log, the filename will increment (e.g. 02020005_0001_yyyy.efi) so you know which .tun a log was taken from. ]

Edit and Tune as you would normally (remember to use Save As to bump the file sequence number)... COS5 allows you to run in any of CLMAF, OLMAF, CLSD, OLSD... in OLMAF and OLSD it allows you to use STFT's on the OLFA cells that you set to stoich.

Last edited by joecar; 02-18-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:25 PM
Teching In

That's exactly the information I needed, thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Tuning a turbo LS1 with EFI Live