Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

'00 WS6...Newbie STARTING THE BUILD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 02:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '00 WS6...Newbie STARTING THE BUILD!!!

ok guys, I need alittle help and the search button isant helping.

I'm starting to do my build on the 2000 T/A. It has 158,XXX miles and I think it's a great idea to start with my suspension. I'm a total newbie on this car and I want to upgrade the whole suspension...Tie rods, shocks, springs...etc...I just want the car to ride alittle better than the stock WS6 package. I'm not intrested in lowering for corner handing and so forth. The car is more of a daily driver and will be taken to the track sometimes.

NOTE: For future mods I only plan to use ET street radials, Cam, Headers-full exhaust, LS6 Mani, new 9 bolt maybe and some 4.11s , maybe a few other SMALL mods. basically a street beast and have alittle fun at the track Sometimes. I went to WS6store.com and had NO IDEA what I was looking for. Any suggestions would be appriciated. once again, I just wanna upgrade to trash some old parts for ones slightly better than the WS6 came with. no shortage on money, YET! LOL!

Also the GM dealership told me my tie rods had play in them... Also would I need a sway bar or anything? LCA?

Last edited by offroadfury6; 02-19-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Its great to hear that you are looking into modifying your ride! I just wanted to leave you know that UMI Performance offers a wide variety of suspension parts the will allow you to put the power that you plan on making to the ground. For starters I would suggest a rear suspension package and eliminating the shot rubber bushings and flexible control arms and pan hard bar. The rear of the vehicle will definitely be more solid.

And to also help with traction I would suggest a set of Lower control arm relocation brackets. They allow you to adjust the control arm so you not only get better traction performance but also helps with eliminating wheel hop issues. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer! And right now until the 21st we are offering a 15% off sale. And if you are going through the WS6 Store they are a vendor of ours and I am sure that Mike or Jammers will be more than glad to help.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...d7eveablbql4o1

If you have any other questions feel free to ask! I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 02-19-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i am also in the beginning phase of building my car and i decided to start with the whole suspension. with +100k on the od it's a great start and i have to agree with brad, UMI makes a great product that you won't regret putting on your ride. i'm about to put the "coming soon" parts on my car tomorrow and i can't wait to test it out afterwards since i've been pleased with the results of the parts i've put on previously.

edit: take advantage of the sale UMI is offering right now in the sponsor sales thread. awesome deal
Old 02-20-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
Its great to hear that you are looking into modifying your ride! I just wanted to leave you know that UMI Performance offers a wide variety of suspension parts the will allow you to put the power that you plan on making to the ground. For starters I would suggest a rear suspension package and eliminating the shot rubber bushings and flexible control arms and pan hard bar. The rear of the vehicle will definitely be more solid.

And to also help with traction I would suggest a set of Lower control arm relocation brackets. They allow you to adjust the control arm so you not only get better traction performance but also helps with eliminating wheel hop issues. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer! And right now until the 21st we are offering a 15% off sale. And if you are going through the WS6 Store they are a vendor of ours and I am sure that Mike or Jammers will be more than glad to help.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...d7eveablbql4o1

If you have any other questions feel free to ask! I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
hi brad. I'm very intrested in buying some suspension parts from you. thanks but I think I will miss the sale, no biggie though. Can you tell me the exact names of the items I need? or part numbers? I'm a newbie even to car modifying, I don't know what i'm looking at (wheel hop problems and stuff, I don't know anthing about). please help me put the suspension build together and i'll surely buy from UMI. thanks brad.
-Also please look at my first post to help me decide what parts I am looking for. I don't plan to ever put this car over 500HP so I'm not looking to totally drag the car out. Thanks.

do you guys carry struts, springs, shocks?

-Andrew

Last edited by offroadfury6; 02-20-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:39 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by offroadfury6
hi brad. I'm very intrested in buying some suspension parts from you. thanks but I think I will miss the sale, no biggie though. Can you tell me the exact names of the items I need? or part numbers? I'm a newbie even to car modifying, I don't know what i'm looking at (wheel hop problems and stuff, I don't know anthing about). please help me put the suspension build together and i'll surely buy from UMI. thanks brad.
-Also please look at my first post to help me decide what parts I am looking for. I don't plan to ever put this car over 500HP so I'm not looking to totally drag the car out. Thanks.

do you guys carry struts, springs, shocks?

-Andrew
Hello Andrew
Thanks for considering UMI Performance! And I would be more than happy to help with suggestion for your set up. I would start with the rear suspension and seeing how you are going to be running a aftermarket rear end. I would highly suggest going with a set of roto joint control arms and Pan hard bar. They maintain a great ride quality on the street but will also offer articulation for the aftermarket rear eliminating any binding issues.
(http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...qqngup21bgaon1.

And also a set of Lower control arm relocation brackets to allow you to adjust the control arm more parallel to the surface increasing your traction performance. http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...qqngup21bgaon1

And a set of SFC's to help keep the dimples off of the quarter panels and also solid up the vehicle helping with weight transfer.
http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...qqngup21bgaon1

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Thanks
Brad
Old 02-22-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the first thing you should replace in the shocks.

The stock shocks in these cars SUCK. For what it sounds like you want a set of Bilsteins look like what you might want.

Call up Sam Strano and he will get you pointed in the right direction.

www.stranoparts.com

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=21&ModelID=8
Old 02-22-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

UMI and Strano are great. I would start with SFCs, Shocks, and control arms
Old 02-22-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ThumperNC24
the first thing you should replace in the shocks.

The stock shocks in these cars SUCK. For what it sounds like you want a set of Bilsteins look like what you might want.

Call up Sam Strano and he will get you pointed in the right direction.

www.stranoparts.com

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=21&ModelID=8
thanks man, those shocks are about exactly what i'm looking for....UMI was showing me some stuff above my head, only thing i'm intrestred in are those tubular bars or SFC things he showed me, those seem very useful.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:56 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ThoR294
UMI and Strano are great. I would start with SFCs, Shocks, and control arms
Hello
Thanks for the great comments and suggesting UMI Performance!
Brad

thanks man, those shocks are about exactly what i'm looking for....UMI was showing me some stuff above my head, only thing i'm intrestred in are those tubular bars or SFC things he showed me, those seem very useful.
Hello
Sorry for confusing you, But any of those products that I suggested would be a great start to a build. If you have any other questions or concerns about anything feel free to ask! And I just wanted to leave you know that Sam is one of our vendors so it will be a one stop shop for you....
Thanks
Brad
Old 02-23-2010, 07:02 AM
TECH Regular

strato is sam?

ok thanks bro...I've got some other parts to order today but will be shopping around so give it alil time lol...
Old 02-23-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

yeah Strano is Sam Strano. He sells UMI and some of his own products. Good first newbie mods are SFCs, and lower control arms. a big important one though is shocks
Old 02-23-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you have the money, Sam has Koni's on sale now too ($750 for the 4/3's I believe).

Better shock than the Bilstein, but the Bilstein will still make a big difference!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

^^^ Good info...but for $750 bucks you only get the rears? I wanted a complete set...may still go with bilstein cause it comes as a set at an un-beatable price.

Last edited by offroadfury6; 02-23-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
If you have the money, Sam has Koni's on sale now too ($750 for the 4/3's I believe).

Better shock than the Bilstein, but the Bilstein will still make a big difference!
in general they are better and they are adjustable, but if he is not concerned with handling as much as ride quality, I think the bilsteins can match or exceed the Konis for less money. Now, if you want handling and control, different story.

I highly suggest you talk with Sam Strano on the phone - he can help you a lot with the decisions.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^ Good info...but for $750 bucks you only get the rears? I wanted a complete set...may still go with bilstein cause it comes as a set at an un-beatable price.
No, front and rear shocks, our cars don't have struts in the front, they are coil over shocks.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just make sure when you get the parts that they are adj. You will wish you had done that if you don't. I ended up replacing for adj. later so I would just say make sure you have adj parts. Also see my sig for the parts I would reccomend. The Bilstein shocks are good shocks for the money. I have the SLP spec ones. Got them from sam. He knows his stuff so I would say go to him for that.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Shocks are the single most inportant thing to start with.If you can swing it get the Koni sa 4/3 shocks.If I remember right they are on sale for $750.00 a set on the strano sight.If you are on a tight budget you could get the Bilstiens.They are good but the koni's are better.Call up Sam Strano from Strano performance and talk to him.He is the man when it comes to suspensions.On the 4/3 set you can only adjust the rears off the car.You save $100.00 over the 4/4 set.

Last edited by transwiz; 02-23-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

not sure what all tht 3/4, 4/4 stuff measns lol but ok
Old 03-01-2010, 08:14 PM

I bought a 98 TA with 100K bone stock.
Here's what I've found was the best bang for the buck. Recommend Project List

I used only hand tools.

Day 1 - Tune up
1. Plugs and Plug Wires - 70 bucks (2-4 Hours) Start with the rear passagener side. It's the hardest plug.
2. Change the Oil
3. Rear Diff Fluid

Day 2 - Front Suspension (6-8 Hours)

1. Tie Rods
2. Shocks & Springs
3. Sway Bar Links

If you want to go crazy do the bushings.

Day 3 - Rear Suspension (2 Hours)
1. Lower Control Arms
2. Panhard Rod

Day 4 - Catback (4 Hours)

Day 5 - Enjoy a long drive...
Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just call up Sam Strano at Strano performance and talk to him.He will explain everything
you need to know.