Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick's or McLeod's master cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick's or McLeod's master cylinder

I'm just trying to decide between the Mcleod and the Tick's master cylinder's. Is one better than the other? I've read alot about Tick's but i haven't seen much about the Mcleod's MC so I'm just curious about them.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the McLeod is a modified stock one and the Tick master is a whole new design, with a bigger bore than stock. From what I hear the Tick is much better, especially if you don't like your clutch pedal sticking to the floor.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Had a McLeod and it blew internal seals after 6 months. Have a Tick in there now but haven't started abusing it just yet though. So I can't comment on the Tick yet but it is ALOT more stout for sure.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tick all the way, fixes all the problems, it a work of art. I got one and a monster level 3, like night and day, car is fun to drive again.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh my God stay away from the McLeod. It is not a stock piece that is modified, it is a specific aftermarket unit. The RAM MC is just a stock MC with an adjustable rod.
The Tick is light years better than the McLeod. I have had all three, and the Tick is soooo much better all around. Feel, adjustability, performance, quality everything. Spend the money on the Tick and do it right the first time.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tick is the ONLY master I'll install.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova
Tick is the ONLY master I'll install.
Oh wait i have on in my car!
Old 02-19-2010, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

tick
see sig for more info
Old 02-20-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys with the Tick, is it hard it adjust on install?
Old 02-20-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
Oh my God stay away from the McLeod. It is not a stock piece that is modified, it is a specific aftermarket unit. The RAM MC is just a stock MC with an adjustable rod.
The Tick is light years better than the McLeod. I have had all three, and the Tick is soooo much better all around. Feel, adjustability, performance, quality everything. Spend the money on the Tick and do it right the first time.
May I ask how/ why it failed?

I run a Mcleod and haven't had any problems what so ever. I did think it was cool though that Mcleod rebuilt it for free when I sent it in with my clutch.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its a piece of cake to install. There is a wire harness in the way that you have to pull up out of the way, that was the hardest part. Once you get the master in place and the studs thru the firewall, just hold onto the one stud and thread the nut on the other one. It took about a half hour to install. Then you just need to bleed it. I did a Monster level 3, slave and master all at the same time.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
Its a piece of cake to install. There is a wire harness in the way that you have to pull up out of the way, that was the hardest part. Once you get the master in place and the studs thru the firewall, just hold onto the one stud and thread the nut on the other one. It took about a half hour to install. Then you just need to bleed it. I did a Monster level 3, slave and master all at the same time.
Is the"adjustable" part of the master a pain to get right or is that simple as well? I was interested in getting this part but I don't want to miss adjust it and have the rest of the new parts I put into the trans fail because of human error.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

The adjustment is easy and I really suck at adjusting stuff. You just install it with the rods all the way turned in, its like a tie rod style end. Then you just try putting it in gear, adjust it until it goes into gear easy. Then take it for a test drive and high rpm shift it, if it doesnt go into gear easy during the shifting, then adjust it more. Thats all there is to it.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
The adjustment is easy and I really suck at adjusting stuff. You just install it with the rods all the way turned in, its like a tie rod style end. Then you just try putting it in gear, adjust it until it goes into gear easy. Then take it for a test drive and high rpm shift it, if it doesnt go into gear easy during the shifting, then adjust it more. Thats all there is to it.
Sounds simple thanks. BTW how do you like your monster stage 3?
Old 02-20-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went from a 70K stocker and stock hydraulics to the monster tick and MGW shifter. Its like night and day. Now when I power shift into second the goes sideways. I think the old clutch slipped alot. The pedal feel is alot different alot stiffer, my old fluid was black and chalky. I really couldnt be happier, customer service is awesome too over at monster.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice, GL with everything
Old 02-20-2010, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

I just set the clutch pedal at same position as the brake pedal and no problems on 2 different cars.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont know why you guys have had such bad luck w/ the Mcleod unit. I had mine in for 30k and it worked great, took lots of abuse. I sent it back w/ my clutch for a rebuild (didn't have problems w/ it just wanted to be safe) and they replaced the seals for free.

To those who have ran both, what makes the tick so much better? besides the seals blowing that is.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the Tick in my car and really like it. Made a big difference.

A Tick master is nothing more than a Tilton brake master cylinder you can buy from just about anywhere. Its all the little custom stuff that makes it unique.

Tick also has INCREDIBLE customer service. I lost the adjustment rod for mine and they sent me a new setup for cost!! Great guys for sure!!
Old 02-20-2010, 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by stoverz28
I dont know why you guys have had such bad luck w/ the Mcleod unit. I had mine in for 30k and it worked great, took lots of abuse. I sent it back w/ my clutch for a rebuild (didn't have problems w/ it just wanted to be safe) and they replaced the seals for free.

To those who have ran both, what makes the tick so much better? besides the seals blowing that is.
they had problems with one design
The first one I got(with a street twin) that failed was about 2 weeks old. They thought i may have gotten an old one so they sent me a new one(I didnt have the old style)
I installed the new one and it lasted a week. It failed with the pedal down sitting at a stop light. My car idle's 950-1000 and sitting at a light right behind a car when the clutch looses pressure is not FUN.
Sent them an email(had been talking to them because i had sent the clutch back also on top of the first master) he asked a bunch of questions then said to send it back to who i bought it from. UMMMMM, you sent it to me.
Needless to say i installed my stock master, which mcleod says WILL NOT WORK with a twin disk and all my troubles stopped. Many track pass's and street driven without a problem.
if anyone wants a 1 week of use, broken , $300 master let me know

Quick Reply: Tick's or McLeod's master cylinder