Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Repairing Door Trim

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Repairing Door Trim

Hey guys my trim piece literally stripped out. It is held on by two screws, a lower screw and one that mounts in the center of the piece. My lower screw does not help fastening as the plastic cracked around it, also the center screw is a self threading from the factoring that just screws into the composite door. Anyone have this problem before? I want to use similar looking interior/finish screws or bolts but dont know the best way to fasten it as the composite is stripped. I was thinking a backing nut, maybe epoxying it on the backside so the screw/bolt can grab. What do you think would the best idea? Also how would I go about fixing the lower screw plastic so it actually helps fasten the trim? I want to do this the right way, that is why I am asking for suggestions. Check my pics below to see what im talking about.
thanks in advance.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

My old 97 TA did that. The fiberglass panel was stripped out, so a screw would never stay. A thought highly of epoxying a nut on the backside so it would stay, but never got around to doing it.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

any idea where to get finishing bolts that look good in the interior?
Old 10-04-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoLLo
My old 97 TA did that. The fiberglass panel was stripped out, so a screw would never stay. A thought highly of epoxying a nut on the backside so it would stay, but never got around to doing it.
old thread bump but mine did this today and i used some square shaped thing that accepted the oem screw and some super glue and duct tape to attatch it to the back side of the door panel and it held. i didn't trust the super glue to hold it in place so used the duct tape as a backup. you can't see either of them even with the door panel removed.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ sounds like a good fix but knock on wood mine hasnt done this.... yet lol
Old 10-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

On mine, I filled in the old screw-hole in the door with 2-part plastic epoxy and layered some over the area about a inch or so wide. Then when it all hardened, I drilled a pilot hole roughly where the old hole was and threaded the screw like normal. It's been holding fine for a few years now and I've had the panel off at least once.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
On mine, I filled in the old screw-hole in the door with 2-part plastic epoxy and layered some over the area about a inch or so wide. Then when it all hardened, I drilled a pilot hole roughly where the old hole was and threaded the screw like normal. It's been holding fine for a few years now and I've had the panel off at least once.
Had to do the same for the screw hole for the interior door handle bezel in my TA. Epoxied the hole in, then threaded screw back in with a layer of teflon tape around it before the epoxy set. That cast the threads into the epoxy without gluing the screw in there. I've taken it apart many times since then and it's still holding well.

To the OP, the large screw that fastens the door handle/armrest to the door threads into a plastic nut, not the door itself. You should be able to find it at a parts store where they keep all the other similar interior panel fasteners.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey guys, I never updated this thread but I did fix the problem. I use a two part epoxy and a threaded standoff. I drilled out the fiberglass in the door so the standoff could fit in the hole, I then epoxied the stand off in from the inside of the door, man I wish I had little kid hands haha. It actually came out a lot better than I expected and I dont see it ever coming loose. I remember taking pics of the procedure, Ill see if I can find them to post up.

Quick Reply: Repairing Door Trim