Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed headers & replaced stock manifolds and now there's a weird noise (vid inside)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removed headers & replaced stock manifolds and now there's a weird noise (vid inside)

(car is a 2002 corvette coupe)
So I was returning my car back to stock, it previously had Kooks 1 7/8ths LT "Race" headers and an off-road x-pipe, exhaust etc (tuned for it).
We put the stock manifolds back on and the stock h-pipe, cat back etc. And now when the car is started/running we hear the noise in the video below. It's a whining noise (as you can hear) with a loud ticking noise (which you can't hear as well)... if the motor is rev'd the ticking sound sound increases in speed and the whining gets louder

We have checked the following items already...
-manifold bolts for exhaust leak
-manifold collectors for exhaust leak
-spark plugs
-coils
-plug wires
-rockers

here's the vid on youtube - I have ANY/ALL help is appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyDVrLETWjw

Last edited by RideZX-6R; 02-21-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

did you do the "skillsaw" mod? lol.. I know, not funny. Sorry to hear about the trouble, possibly the heat shields on the manifolds? somethin in the fans? something against a pulley? or something rubbing the driveshaft? hmmm...
Old 02-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01wssick
did you do the "skillsaw" mod? lol.. I know, not funny. Sorry to hear about the trouble, possibly the heat shields on the manifolds? somethin in the fans? something against a pulley? hmmm...
I can say it isn't the heat shields with certainty. We can double check the fans and pulleys but I doubt its the fans because if the motor is rev'd the sound increases in volume AND speed

Thanks
Old 02-21-2010, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Alright... Just throwing the ideas out their. lol. Kinda hard to tell without being in person. maybe something in the exhaust? hmmm...
Old 02-21-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that is the weirdest sound ever.... good luck with the diagnosis...
Old 02-21-2010, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

I did a header swap on my friends 03 chevy truck and it sounded exactly like that. We retraced our steps, checks all connections for leaks ,loose bolts and it was all good. We got frustrated and took the headers loose and lathered the metal gaskets down with high temp sealant, put it back together and the sounds were gone. I know it probably wasnt the best solution but it worked and we were out of options....
Old 02-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nauticalstar2012
I did a header swap on my friends 03 chevy truck and it sounded exactly like that. We retraced our steps, checks all connections for leaks ,loose bolts and it was all good. We got frustrated and took the headers loose and lathered the metal gaskets down with high temp sealant, put it back together and the sounds were gone. I know it probably wasnt the best solution but it worked and we were out of options....
RTV the **** out of it all right? lol It's a possibility
Old 02-22-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i could see it being a gasket, the pressure forcing its way through a seemingly sealed area...

my thought was maybe somethin in the alternator, but yours is on top and you can see it easily so i wouldnt think thatd be it...
Old 02-22-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

where does it sound the loudest? It seemed like for the split second you put the camera down low it was pretty loud. Put it up on jack stands and get under it while its running, look, listen, and even feel around to try to pinpoint the location and you'll end up finding it.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by pheer
i could see it being a gasket, the pressure forcing its way through a seemingly sealed area...

my thought was maybe somethin in the alternator, but yours is on top and you can see it easily so i wouldnt think thatd be it...
We pretty much decided that was what caused our odd sound, the stock metal gasket is multi layered and if for some reason it isnt 100 % true, tight and sealed it made a ticking and a reed blowing in the wind sound very similar to the video. When we rtv'd ot we put a think layer on the head, on the header and also in between the layers of metal and buttoned it back up. It was like brand new....still is today and its been over a year
Old 02-22-2010, 02:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nauticalstar2012
We pretty much decided that was what caused our odd sound, the stock metal gasket is multi layered and if for some reason it isnt 100 % true, tight and sealed it made a ticking and a reed blowing in the wind sound very similar to the video. When we rtv'd ot we put a think layer on the head, on the header and also in between the layers of metal and buttoned it back up. It was like brand new....still is today and its been over a year
I got that and a couple other ideas
I think we're gonna need to re-do the air system, and check a few other things, the header gasket included.
Any other ideas appreciated.
Thanks Guys
Old 02-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Launching!

bump for afternoon since I can't start on it til tonite.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

check for DTC.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default catalic converter

a broken up inside cataltic converter will make weird noise's listen down there and it's probably still under warrenty.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Well - we check the alt and all the drive belts and its fine (alt spun freely with no sound by hand) - checked the bolts that have the exhaust hanger from the bell-housing.

So we used the idea of rtv'ing the driver's side manifold (the one side the noise is coming from) - I'm letting it sit overnight... hopefully its ok in the morning
Old 02-23-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RideZX-6R
Well - we check the alt and all the drive belts and its fine (alt spun freely with no sound by hand) - checked the bolts that have the exhaust hanger from the bell-housing.

So we used the idea of rtv'ing the driver's side manifold (the one side the noise is coming from) - I'm letting it sit overnight... hopefully its ok in the morning
Can you pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from??
Old 02-24-2010, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

Im interested to see if it turns out the same as my situation did!
Old 02-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Launching!

It didn't.
New symptoms are - misfiring and a P0300 code (misfire code) and the sound as I said does go up in volume and speed when the motor is rev'd / car is driven.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

It didn't.
New symptoms are - misfiring and a P0300 code (misfire code) and the sound as I said does go up in volume and speed when the motor is rev'd / car is driven.
Sounds like a cracked porcelin on a plug or a plug wires is torn and its arching out badly causing an aweful sound upon misfire? Maybe...possibly?...
Old 02-24-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Messed up internals in a cat makes sense....doesnt explain the code at all, that screams burnt or loose plug wire.