Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Amp with aftermarket HU

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon Amp with aftermarket HU

Does the amp still work after I install an aftermarket head unit?
Old 02-22-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Yes. The stock head unit is nothing but a stock HU. The amp takes speaker-level inputs from the stock head unit. Also, it gets its turn-on signal when it senses activity on the speaker inputs, so you don't have to worry about tapping into a remote turn-on wire either for the Monsoon amp.

I'm driving my Monsoon amp with my Alpine HU. Couldn't be easier! It will also sound MUCH better since you would be sending a clean signal to the amp, as opposed to a distorted signal form the stock POS head unit.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Teching In

awesome thanks.. i got to looking at the plug wire description... and it shows the steering wheel inputs to only have 1 wire... the radio i have now has 1 wire for steering wheel controls... should i connect them and see what happens? lol
Old 02-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by bambaboy
awesome thanks.. i got to looking at the plug wire description... and it shows the steering wheel inputs to only have 1 wire... the radio i have now has 1 wire for steering wheel controls... should i connect them and see what happens? lol
No, you need an adapter to convert the signal from the steering wheel controls into something that the head unit can understand.

All of this is covered in the Monsoon FAQ sticky.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

how do u hook up ur aftermarket HU to the M AMP?? cause i was told buy the shop that hooked up my Aftermarket HU that they couldnt do it cause it wouldn't work
Old 03-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

If I understand that question correctly, you don't need anything special to hook up an aftermarket head unit to the Monsoon amp/system. In fact, that shop would have had to do significant rewiring to bypass the Monsoon amp. Just get a standard wiring adapter harness (GM 88+), connect it to your head unit, and plug it into the factory wiring. All of this is covered in the Monsoon FAQ as well.

BTW, we're not texting here - you can type in full words and sentences with punctuation.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sam23
how do u hook up ur aftermarket HU to the M AMP?? cause i was told buy the shop that hooked up my Aftermarket HU that they couldnt do it cause it wouldn't work
There alot of shops out there that have no understanding about the Monsoon system.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

yeah seems like they might have bypassed the amp, cause my new speakers sound worse then my stock Monsoons and two of them were blown
Old 03-15-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

was told buy the shop that hooked up my Aftermarket HU that they couldnt do it cause it wouldn't work
That shop is full of . I was told that won't work also, but it is 100% NOT TRUE. I have my Alpine driving my stock Monsoon amp and it works just fine! All you need is the stock GM harness.

It does sound like they disabled and bypassed the amp although why they would do that I don't know.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

when you take out the stock head unit there are two plugs, one is the amp correct? and there isn't a place to plug it into the new head unit or wiring harness i bought....how so u hook the amp up to the new head u nit
Old 03-16-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

If you are talking about the plug that I think you are, that smaller plug with 1 row of pins is for the stock CD changer, not for the amp. Even if your car doesn't have a changer, it is still pre-wired for one. You will not be using the stock CD changer with your new HU, so you won't need that connection anyway. The monsoon amp just takes its signal from the speaker outputs on the HU. It does not require a remote turn-on signal. It gets that by sensing voltage on the speaker outputs from the HU.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok, that sounds about right, i didnt think about it since i dont have the changer

Quick Reply: Monsoon Amp with aftermarket HU