Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Suspension Opinions needed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 01:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Opinions needed.

Alright guys, I know just about nothing about suspension for these cars.
Right now I think majority of the shocks are blown because of the way it bounces and the fact that it almost has 4x4 ground clearance.
I am getting shocks now and then getting springs later on.
I'm planning to lower it about an inch, inch and a half.
What do you guys recommend for shocks and springs from what you have heard or personally experienced?

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:59 AM
Launching!

I'll be the first of many to recommend Konis. They're expensive but they are good. I'm happy with the ones on my car. If you wanted budget you could go with Bilsteins but they're not exactly valved for lowered cars. Western section wouldn't be the best place to ask - there is a suspension section on the forum and Sam Strano is one of the most knowledgeable members on tech in the eyes of many on this forum.

Oh and Konis will work well with stock springs and pretty much any aftermarket drop. I like Strano's springs because they get the job done and don't kill too much of your ground clearance. If I was going for looks though I would go with a bigger drop (shorter spring).
Old 02-24-2010, 02:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Koni single adjustable (SA) shocks are the best and also the most expensive, and KYB AGX (AGX is the adjustable model) are a step down from that. I have used stock, Bilstein, and KYB AGX on the rear of my car, and the KYB AGX has performed the best when paired with lowering springs. Bilstein Heavy Dutys will work for stock ride height applications but they aren't valved properly for lowering springs, and anybody that says otherwise is wrong. The car will bounce and ride like crap with high rate lowering springs. The SLP Bilstein's are revalved to slightly better handle lowering springs (specifically, the SLP Eibachs), but they are still inferior to Konis.

The new BMR springs or Strano springs are the ones you'd want.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Regular

Sam Strano has Koni SA 4/4 on sale for $850+ free shipping. That's saving $110 over the normal price and as mentioned are the best for our cars. Since you plan on lowering the car later do yourself a favor and jump on that deal, they'll work fine on your stock springs and are well suited for your future mods. Far as springs I've got Stranos & dropped the LE 1.25". The key there is Sam doesn't always have his spring in stock do to the demand so watch the suspension forum often and if he's ordering some up get in on the shipment. You wont be charged until they're shipped. If you can't wait on the springs BMR made a copy of Sam's springs.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I would mod in pretty much this order...

1) Koni shocks, BMR springs...you'll notice a night and day difference.
2) Then get some adj LCA's, relocation brackets, and adj PHB...another noticeable mod.
3) Then get a thicker rear sway bar.
4) Then get an adj tunnel mount torque arm.
5) Then get some subframe connectors.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Sam also sells revalved Bilsteins if I remember correctly, that are priced lower than Koni's (if you don't want to go that route due to price), and are made to work with lowering springs due to the revalve.

Strano springs is what I would have gone with if they were available at the time, but Sam recommended Hotchkis, and my car rides very well. It also has an approximate 1 - 1.5 in. drop. Hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Wow, thanks for all the info guys. This at least gave me something to start searching through the suspension thread.
Although, I definitely under estimated the cost of the suspension. I have to save quite a few more pennies before I can even think of searching again. (especially since my car is going to CMS to be diagnosed for an unknown bottom end problem.)
But this info made me realize I might as well get a good suspension instead of just a budget one. Thanks again guys.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DrifterFreak210
Wow, thanks for all the info guys. This at least gave me something to start searching through the suspension thread.
Although, I definitely under estimated the cost of the suspension. I have to save quite a few more pennies before I can even think of searching again. (especially since my car is going to CMS to be diagnosed for an unknown bottom end problem.)
But this info made me realize I might as well get a good suspension instead of just a budget one. Thanks again guys.
Yeah I realized this too a few years ago when I bought everything, but it's worth it IMO. Now when I drive a stock suspension fbody it feels sloppy as hell!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DrifterFreak210
Fo sho. I researched a lot cause I only wanted to do it once. Just like H/C there's a infinate amount of combos and some just dont work well together. Shocks & Springs have to work well togther then you have all your supporting mods like PHB's, SFC's, LCA's and even these have a lot of diff options.

One thing you need to decide is do you want a good street car, more towards corner carving or drag car. Each will have a diff set up.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Hotchkis lowering spring are also a good option, and if you get sway-bars get hollow bars.
Don't completely write off Bilstein shocks (SLP fronts and 3rd gen rear Sport shocks), they work surprisingly well with lowering springs, not perfect, but way better than new factory shocks!
If you seek perfection in your cars handling abilities then by all means get the Koni SA shocks,and then start saving up for a Fays2 Watts-link!

Been there, Done that!
Old 02-25-2010, 03:16 AM
TECH Regular

I 2nd the kyb agx. Great shock for the price!

Quick Reply: Suspension Opinions needed.