Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

'04 V cam question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '04 V cam question

I'm only in the beginning stages of plannin a cam, but I'd just like to know what else I need to consider at the same time. What I'm going to be shooting for is nice solid reliability and daily drivability. Of course I'm planning on headers and I'm seriously considering a TPIS 90mm tb swap. I'm not sure if I'll bother with heads or not.

I guess my main question is more about the valve train. Will I see a benefit, power or otherwise, by going with upgrades valve springs, rocker arms, etc? Would it make the most sense just doing the cams and possibly springs if needed?
Old 02-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Launching!

How many miles on engine? If more than 50K I would do lifters, pushrods, springs, and a timing chain just for cheap insurance.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:21 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

I am a few weekends away from modding my 68k 04 V. Here is what I am doing:
my heads are going to my local machine shop for a valve job, resurface the deck and assembly.

Texas speed and performance cam/ spring and pushrod kit
232/234 on 113
chrom. Hard pushrod
prc plat spring kit
heads/cam change gasket kit
intake gaskets ( wasn't sure if I could re-use, they were only $20)
160 deg therm
msd 8.5mm super wires
ngk-tr55
bmr pinion brace until I drop 1700 for the gen3
a tune from LMR in Houston(pending final decision)
and a rear seal for my leaking t56

all above is purchased and sitting in my garage and calling my name. I'm debating an underdrive pulley while I'm in there.

everything parts wise except the seal and bmr brace was only 1104 from TSP w/ shipping and tax since I'm in Texas. Way under my original budget. Got money sliding elsewhere for future n2o and gen3 diff.

Everyone mods differently. I will go to a fast setup 90/90 and headers before my final dyno tune for this stage of mods.
Not many intakes flow better than the ls6 with our 243's... And not too much more breathing room with headers, maybe 10rwhp when it's all said and done.

I aslo have gutted mufflers an resonator remove and x pipe in place.

Last edited by -T-; 02-27-2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: On iPhone....
Old 02-27-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -T-
I am a few weekends away from modding my 68k 04 V. Here is what I am doing:
my heads are going to my local machine shop for a valve job, resurface the deck and assembly.

Texas speed and performance cam/ spring and pushrod kit
232/234 on 113
chrom. Hard pushrod
prc plat spring kit
heads/cam change gasket kit
intake gaskets ( wasn't sure if I could re-use, they were only $20)
160 deg therm
msd 8.5mm super wires
ngk-tr55
bmr pinion brace until I drop 1700 for the gen3
a tune from LMR in Houston(pending final decision)
and a rear seal for my leaking t56

all above is purchased and sitting in my garage and calling my name. I'm debating an underdrive pulley while I'm in there.

everything parts wise except the seal and bmr brace was only 1104 from TSP w/ shipping and tax since I'm in Texas. Way under my original budget. Got money sliding elsewhere for future n2o and gen3 diff.

Everyone mods differently. I will go to a fast setup 90/90 and headers before my final dyno tune for this stage of mods.
Not many intakes flow better than the ls6 with our 243's... And not too much more breathing room with headers, maybe 10rwhp when it's all said and done.

I aslo have gutted mufflers an resonator remove and x pipe in place.

How much whp are you planing to get with that setup? And hows the 232/234 on 113 for everyday drivability? I have a buddy about to order what ever size cam (including the hardened pushrods) that I want and Im only coming out of pocket $200.00... I want a good daily driver and dont want to go overboard so I was thinking 400 to 415whp give or take some whp, but not sure if that would be to much for a DD...
Old 02-27-2010, 10:45 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

My goal without the fast and headers is 420ish. Fast and headers bringing me to 450's and then the gas at an extra 100 to 125 when needed.

Drivability shouldn't be a problem with a good tuner. Aggressive lobes but, will probably surge out of first gear in parking lots. There are people dd'ing way more power in vettes and f bodies.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Launching!

from my reading and talking to several mechanics, 450 rear wheel hp is tough to do from cam, headers, intake....check out youtube.... "CTSV cam"

Intakes seems to surprize many people how little hp added to LS6 motors...

--Jerry
Old 02-28-2010, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Do upgraded rockers and lifters add anything or should I just stick with my stock ones? I ask because my dad picked up a TrickFlow head/intake/cam set up for his 5.0 'stang and with that TrickFlow includes a set of anodized rockers along with the rest of the valve train. Being as ours were the same (I'm assuming) as those used in the Z06 would I really see any benefit besides just lookin purty?
Old 02-28-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -T-
My goal without the fast and headers is 420ish. Fast and headers bringing me to 450's and then the gas at an extra 100 to 125 when needed.

Drivability shouldn't be a problem with a good tuner. Aggressive lobes but, will probably surge out of first gear in parking lots. There are people dd'ing way more power in vettes and f bodies.
you'll be lucky to get 420 with the headers and intake on top of all ur other mods..good luck though
Old 02-28-2010, 08:27 AM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

I'm using my stock rockers and lifters. I don't know the advantages of upgrading either besides lighter materials. Some go with ls7 lifters and even to cts-vr lifters. I suppose u could upgrade the rockers with the Yella Terra with lateral support.

Jerry... U are absolutely right. That is y I am saving my intake exhaust mods post cam. Numbers are numbers. The feel Of power is more what I am about. If I'm not happy and want more hp/torque, fast and headers. Those, from what I read, are very important in a n2o motor. Still researching though.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:02 AM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting data i just found...

http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic11052.php

Comparing LS2 and LS6 intakes on stock LS2 motor with headers.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

^^^... so how 'bout that 90mm conversion on an LS6 intake?
Old 02-28-2010, 06:17 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

The conversion from TPIS? I looked at their site. Looks like it hasn't been updated in almost 2 years.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -T-
The conversion from TPIS? I looked at their site. Looks like it hasn't been updated in almost 2 years.
I haven't called them, but from what I've heard of them as a company, they seem to be reputable. I'll speak with them before placing any orders, but if it works (and I don't see what the problem would be), this will be one of the first mods I do after headers. Possibly at the same time as cam.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My full cam writeup:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...p-45-rwtq.html

I'm a bit Type-A, but I thoroughly explained why I bought what I bought. I have 40k miles on my cam now, with no issues.

I think a lot of people say they want max reliability, and power, and don't really care about price, when they really mean they want a split of all 3. I went the first two, as my price showed.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

-Chris

Quick Reply: '04 V cam question