General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Radiator question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Radiator question

I drive a 2002 t/a with just under 45k. I recently went in to have my cat replaced at the dealership and as I'm driving into the service department the service tech tells me he sees coolant leaking. I look and lo and behold it was. They checked it out and said the top right of my radiator is cracked. Quoted me $850 for and OEM radiator or an aftermarket one for $550. I just about shat myself when they said that and decided to take care of this problem myself. My question is, how hard is it to do a radiator replacement for the ls1?

Also, for some reason it won't let me post in parts wanted so I guess I'll list it here. If someone here has a original radiator they are getting rid of I would like to purchase it. PIcs please and just PM me price and shipping to 68046. Thanks
Old 03-02-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's very easy to replace... just disconnect everything from the radiator and there are hooks on the ac condensor that hold it in place... you will pull up on the radiator while pushing down on the condensor to free the hooks and once they clear you have to work it out the top... make sure not to smash any of the fins on the radiator and keep an eye on your radiator fans as they sit really close to the water pump pulley... but $850, wow, that's *** rape city!... i paid just over $100 for a new delphi radiator... might as well do a coolant flush while you're at it
Old 03-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Launching!

What a dam rip off. That piece of ****. I wish he was local so I could slap him with my 2x4. Anyways I bought mine from autozone for $105.00 and LIFETIME WARRANTY.!! It took me about 15 minutes to remove the old radiator and install new one.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get an LT1 radiator as it is a direct fit and is slightly thicker providing for better cooling....
Old 03-02-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

now that you bring it up that's what i did... your car is an 02 so you won't have the low coolant level sensor so that will need to be plugged up and there is another hole that will need to be blocked off on the bottom of the divers side of the radiator... my car is a 98 so i have the coolant sensor and only had to blockoff that port on the bottom... i just used a small piece of fuel line with a bolt screwed into it and a hose clamp on both ends... haven't had any leaks in about a year since replacing it
Old 03-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes...its easy. Just the first time is very frustrating. Just take your time pulling it up and out. You also have to take the fans off first...they simply lift upward off the hooks and then drop the assembly down to the ground and let it sit down there. Unplug the two fans first.

I had a leak in the black side tank a few months ago. $60.00 for a radiator shop to repair it.

I've had mine in and out maybe 6 times over the years, its literally a 15 minute job to remove it now.

Like "neutron" said....just be careful not to touch the fins on either the radiator or condensor while doing this. If you do you'll have to spend the time with a small screwdriver to straighten them out before reassembling everything.

If you do decide to buy a new radiator....don't get an LS1 replacement. Get an LT1 radiator. They will definitely provide better cooling. I have one in my LS1, and its definitely noticable. 100% direct fit, you would never know the difference between the two. You just have to cap on port off on the back, bottom drivers side corner. But its good because you can then use that for your new radiator drain for flushing. I have pics if you need them.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by neutron82
now that you bring it up that's what i did... your car is an 02 so you won't have the low coolant level sensor so that will need to be plugged up and there is another hole that will need to be blocked off on the bottom of the divers side of the radiator... my car is a 98 so i have the coolant sensor and only had to blockoff that port on the bottom... i just used a small piece of fuel line with a bolt screwed into it and a hose clamp on both ends... haven't had any leaks in about a year since replacing it
The shop that replaced my passengers side tank used plugs to plug up my tranny cooler holes.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by neutron82
it's very easy to replace... just disconnect everything from the radiator and there are hooks on the ac condensor that hold it in place... you will pull up on the radiator while pushing down on the condensor to free the hooks and once they clear you have to work it out the top... make sure not to smash any of the fins on the radiator and keep an eye on your radiator fans as they sit really close to the water pump pulley... but $850, wow, that's *** rape city!... i paid just over $100 for a new delphi radiator... might as well do a coolant flush while you're at it
Originally Posted by SSdimension
What a dam rip off. That piece of ****. I wish he was local so I could slap him with my 2x4. Anyways I bought mine from autozone for $105.00 and LIFETIME WARRANTY.!! It took me about 15 minutes to remove the old radiator and install new one.
Ya I was just floored by that. Even called around other shops around town still ranges from $350-$550 for new radiator and install. I think I am going to get one through an auto store here in town, seems like thats the cheapest, fastest way and it will still have a warranty.

Originally Posted by LS6427
Yes...its easy. Just the first time is very frustrating. Just take your time pulling it up and out. You also have to take the fans off first...they simply lift upward off the hooks and then drop the assembly down to the ground and let it sit down there. Unplug the two fans first.

I had a leak in the black side tank a few months ago. $60.00 for a radiator shop to repair it.

I've had mine in and out maybe 6 times over the years, its literally a 15 minute job to remove it now.

Like "neutron" said....just be careful not to touch the fins on either the radiator or condensor while doing this. If you do you'll have to spend the time with a small screwdriver to straighten them out before reassembling everything.

If you do decide to buy a new radiator....don't get an LS1 replacement. Get an LT1 radiator. They will definitely provide better cooling. I have one in my LS1, and its definitely noticable. 100% direct fit, you would never know the difference between the two. You just have to cap on port off on the back, bottom drivers side corner. But its good because you can then use that for your new radiator drain for flushing. I have pics if you need them.

I have the next week and a half with no class so I should have plenty of time to fool around with it and get er done. If you wouldn't mind I would appreciate the pics. Thanks
Old 03-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by beyonddisturbed
Ya I was just floored by that. Even called around other shops around town still ranges from $350-$550 for new radiator and install. I think I am going to get one through an auto store here in town, seems like thats the cheapest, fastest way and it will still have a warranty.

I have the next week and a half with no class so I should have plenty of time to fool around with it and get er done. If you wouldn't mind I would appreciate the pics. Thanks
This will help:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...emove+radiator

A friend to help you jiggle things and hold things out of the way of things is a HUGE help.

In short:

1) front end up on ramps or jack stands...remove the air lid assembly stuff.
2) unplug both fans and let the wires hang there
3) remove the upper and lower radiator hoses from the water pump ports, leave them attached to the radiator for now if you want to. Easier to get them off later.
4) get under the car and with both hands push upward on the fan assembly. Bang it with your palms of your hands to break it free if it won't move. This is to get it off the hooks that are connected to the black plastic side tanks of the radiator.
5) once it moves upward a little bit, pull it back away from the radiator and work it downward and let it sit as low as it will hang on the ground. No need to take it all the way out.
6) Then you need to do the same with the radiator, break it free, it should be loose already.
7) Once you start to move the radiator free you will just have to work it up and out through the top.
Thats it, its out.

Remove the hoses and take it get a new plastic tank put on.

Put it in in reverse.

I think I got all the steps right.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS6427
This will help:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...emove+radiator

A friend to help you jiggle things and hold things out of the way of things is a HUGE help.

In short:

1) front end up on ramps or jack stands...remove the air lid assembly stuff.
2) unplug both fans and let the wires hang there
3) remove the upper and lower radiator hoses from the water pump ports, leave them attached to the radiator for now if you want to. Easier to get them off later.
4) get under the car and with both hands push upward on the fan assembly. Bang it with your palms of your hands to break it free if it won't move. This is to get it off the hooks that are connected to the black plastic side tanks of the radiator.
5) once it moves upward a little bit, pull it back away from the radiator and work it downward and let it sit as low as it will hang on the ground. No need to take it all the way out.
6) Then you need to do the same with the radiator, break it free, it should be loose already.
7) Once you start to move the radiator free you will just have to work it up and out through the top.
Thats it, its out.

Remove the hoses and take it get a new plastic tank put on.

Put it in in reverse.

I think I got all the steps right.

Sounds good. Thanks for the instructions. I plan on purchasing a radiator within a day or two and following this. I'll post if I run into unforeseen problems.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by beyonddisturbed
Sounds good. Thanks for the instructions. I plan on purchasing a radiator within a day or two and following this. I'll post if I run into unforeseen problems.
Get a 1997 LT1 radiator.