Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stiffest Springs help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiffest Springs help.

I'm looking for some stiffer rated springs for my 2000z. running 11 wides in the back and wanting to lower 1-1.5 inches in front and back but don't want to bounce all over the place and smack the fender wells. Thinking i might go with eibachs, but Ive heard and seen some good reviews about BMR and a few others but thought id just ask everyone on here to be sure.. and yes, i know.. its an old topic with hundreds of threads but Ive been sitting here for 3 hours trying to weed and research through all these forums.. thanks.. Chris
Old 03-02-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 96monsta
I'm looking for some stiffer rated springs for my 2000z. running 11 wides in the back and wanting to lower 1-1.5 inches in front and back but don't want to bounce all over the place and smack the fender wells. Thinking i might go with eibachs, but Ive heard and seen some good reviews about BMR and a few others but thought id just ask everyone on here to be sure.. and yes, i know.. its an old topic with hundreds of threads but Ive been sitting here for 3 hours trying to weed and research through all these forums.. thanks.. Chris
First off a "stiffer" spring wont bounce any less than a "softer" spring with inadequate shocks, its not the spring that is causing the car to bounce, its the shocks not being able to control them. The stiffer and lower the spring the better the dampening you will need to control that spring.
Next, if your worried about rubbing your tires on the fenders you will more than likely need to roll them and make sure to get an adjustable panhard bar to center the rear after being lowered. And it would probably be a good idea to stay away from Eibach springs seeing that the rears are known to sag over time.
Now, what exactly are you trying to accomplish by lowering the car, is it just for looks?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Teching In

mainly looks to be honest. i hate seeing that 3 inch gap... im not doing any auto cross or anything.. just trying to lower a bit without spending a bundle for top dollar product when the only thing i do with it is take it out on saturdays and strip now and then... but i still want to keep the daily driver feel of the car.. so as long as the thing isnt bouncing all over the place and destroying my tires and fenders then thats fine with me. like i said though, mainly just wanting the lowered look without ******* **** up ya know?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eibachs SUCK on these cars. They are OK on Stangs but really missed it on these cars. Look at Eibach rates and they are not hard at all. Actually WAAAAY to soft. LG2 springs no longer made provide a 2" drop with some stiff rates. IIRC they were 650 on the front and 180 or so in the rear. Way too much drop for a street driven car. I have Sam Strano springs/ sways + Konis and it is as good as it gets as far as F bod handlng can get. 550lb front and 150 rear spring rates with a 1.25" drop..... Koni shocks and 35mm/22mm swaybars. Call Sam I have literally made people pee their pants hanging turns... hehe.

Last edited by SOMbitch; 03-03-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

mainly looks to be honest. i hate seeing that 3 inch gap... im not doing any auto cross or anything.. just trying to lower a bit without spending a bundle for top dollar product when the only thing i do with it is take it out on saturdays and strip now and then... but i still want to keep the daily driver feel of the car.. so as long as the thing isnt bouncing all over the place and destroying my tires and fenders then thats fine with me. like i said though, mainly just wanting the lowered look without ******* **** up ya know?
Depends on what you want to do. Do you wanna put in a half assed setup or do you actually want a good setup?
Old 03-03-2010, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

get strano springs and slp valved bilsteins.. all around good set up, looks good and wont break the bank.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Teching In

i mean .. money isnt really a huge issue... i mean sure everyone wants to get the best for as little as posisble.. but i just wanted a nice set up that looks good mainly.. like i said.. im not indy car racing.. and spending as little as possible.. per say.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

i mean .. money isnt really a huge issue... i mean sure everyone wants to get the best for as little as posisble.. but i just wanted a nice set up that looks good mainly.. like i said.. im not indy car racing.. and spending as little as possible.. per say.
Well then I would stay away from springrates that are around 1000 front or anything up around 200 in the rear

Things you should consider...
-What is a good rate for a particular drop?
-What kind of drop still works pretty well on the street and leaves enough suspension travel?
-What kind of ride damping do you prefer? Some people don't mind if it's not damped ideal... I personally prefer my suspension to be controlled so it's not bouncing/floating around.
-How much money you have?
-What kind of setup do you think you'll want for your car in the future?

In my opinion, dampening most common lowering springs properly and ride quality come together in a nice package. If the suspension isn't dampened right, then the ride quality sucks. This is why I prefer Konis when it comes to shocks. They have just enough compression damping for most setups, and the rebound can be tuned to real soft or real stiff. Which is why I don't get how people say (when set correctly) that Konis are less comfortable than other shocks that don't have as good of a range of shock damping.

Quick Reply: Stiffest Springs help.