Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Drag suspension guru's come on in.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drag suspension guru's come on in.

Hey guys, I need some help figuring out what I'm going to do for my suspension.
I've got the power combo, I just need to ensure it's going to get to the ground and hook.
I have a MWC 9" w/ 3.89 gears and 28" tires, which as soon as I get another set of wheels for street use, will be slicks. Right now they're ET streets.
What rear sway bar should I go with? And what kind of suspension front and rear do I need? I was thinking I should get some Strange shocks/springs...
The car does see street use, on nice weekend nights in Mexico
Help me!
Old 03-03-2010, 01:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Your going to want to invest in a rear anti-roll bar. MWC makes one so maybe call up Eric and talk to him about that. As for shocks, I would run a set of drag shocks. Depends on your budget but Afco seems to be the best with Strange being the best bang for the buck. If you search you will see the QA1's don't really compare in terms of quality. I actually just ordered a set of Strange front drag shocks and 300# springs from Eric about a week or so ago. I bought some Competition Engineering 3-way adjustable drag shocks for the rear and will be running cut stock springs since I'm on a tight budget. Of course I would recommend an adjustable torque arm, LCA's, LCA relocation brackets, adjustable panhard, weld-in subframes etc.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have Eric's TQ arm that goes with the MWC 9" so I'm set for a tq arm, I have LCAs and relocation brackets. I have SFCs, just need to get them welded in, I'll do that when we're putting up new exhaust. Thanks for your help though! I think I'll end up doing Strange up front and out back... Just need to get a sway bar and PHB. I know nothing about suspension, so this should be a fun learning curve
Old 03-03-2010, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by IWGF
I have Eric's TQ arm that goes with the MWC 9" so I'm set for a tq arm, I have LCAs and relocation brackets. I have SFCs, just need to get them welded in, I'll do that when we're putting up new exhaust. Thanks for your help though! I think I'll end up doing Strange up front and out back... Just need to get a sway bar and PHB. I know nothing about suspension, so this should be a fun learning curve
Just make sure to get an adjustable PHB. A couple years ago when I did my whole suspension I went with all non-adj stuff to save the money and now I'm at the point where I need adjustable stuff to correct all the geometry so I am re-doing everything.

I recently bought a double adjustable Panhard from UMI, rod ended on both sides which is good for drag racing and will allow the car to be centered correctly from left to right which is crucial after lowering a car or running larger tires.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=112
Old 03-03-2010, 02:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what I had:

Moser 12 bolt
QA1's on all 4's with MADMAN shock relocates on the rear (QA1, Strange ETC. will all work)
Adj. Panhard
Adj. LCA's
LCA Relocation bracket
Adj. Torque arm
BMR Extreme Duty Anti roll bar
4 corner scaling

The scaling makes ALL the difference. My car had everything above listed when it was making 654RWHP and went from high 1.5's, got scaled, then went consistent low 1.4's, after we added a little more power, it went low low 1.3's and weighed 3,969lbs the entire time.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Trust. Can you elaborate on the MADMAN shock relocates? I've never heard/seen anything like that...
And just to show how little I know about suspension... Is an anti roll bar the same as a sway bar?
I'm making the transition to taking drag racing a little more seriously, so now I actually care about my suspension. Lol.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Just make sure to get an adjustable PHB. A couple years ago when I did my whole suspension I went with all non-adj stuff to save the money and now I'm at the point where I need adjustable stuff to correct all the geometry so I am re-doing everything.

I recently bought a double adjustable Panhard from UMI, rod ended on both sides which is good for drag racing and will allow the car to be centered correctly from left to right which is crucial after lowering a car or running larger tires.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=112

Thanks for suggesting UMI Performance! Like mentioned above. We offer a wide variety of suspension parts that will help lower your 60 fts and allow you to put the power to the ground. If the vehicle is going to be a race car only then go with rod ends (they hold up under pressure) but if its a street and strip I would at least go with a single adjustable (to maintain a good ride quality for on the street) If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-03-2010, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

The MadMan mounts take the stress of the rear shock..It relocates them so there is lees bind..I have them..
Old 03-03-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay cool. Thanks guys. Anyone else care to offer their input?? I'm going to start ordering parts soon..
Old 03-04-2010, 12:08 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IWGF
Okay cool. Thanks guys. Anyone else care to offer their input?? I'm going to start ordering parts soon..

got everything you need, including the knowledge and experience to get you the right parts the first time and of course... the best deal. call or pm me with what you are thinking about and i'll get you taken care of.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll probably going through you Eric. You gave me a killer deal on my 9" (which by the way, is AMAZING. I love it.) I'll have to hop on your website later and make a list of everything I need and shoot you a PM. I'm still in Iraq til sometime next month, so I may hold off til I get home so I can get a hold of you easily.

Quick Reply: Drag suspension guru's come on in.