Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this normal?

I have a 2001 Z28 with the Monsoon stereo. It came factory with the car and the car has only 21,XXXX miles on it. Is it normal for the door panel speakers to blow out easy? This would be the second speaker to blow out one me since I got it. The other one blew out only a few months ago.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Assuming that it was first one door and then the other, it's not unusual or even unexpected. The factory speakers are made of cheap materials and your car is nine years old (mileage is not particularly important in this case because it's weather rather than usage that causes the paper cones to deteriorate).

There are aftermarket replacement speakers that are much more durable (not to mention better sounding). Check with Kee Audio.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

im assuming so. My factory door speaker is finished and by looking at them they are definately cheapies
Old 03-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had 2 Camaros with as little as 9000 miles with blown speakers. No foam surround left at all around the cone. The dash was also cracked so I would assume hot dry weather was the culprit in that case. The other had more miles but still low and had a similar issue.
Alot of GM speakers blow all the time. It is not unusual.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

So weather is the cause of it, not age? You are correct WhiteBird, the first one blew out on the driver side door and now the passenger door blew out. What kind of weather do my speakers not agree with? i live in Oklahoma, land of the hot and humid and unpredictable weather.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I wasn't referring to any particular weather (although tornadoes aren't good for them ), just the effects of weather changes over the years. Temperature variations, changes in humidity, etc. all have a cumulative effect on the paper cones and foam surrounds causing them to deteriorate. It will happen with even the best speakers eventually but the cheaper stock speakers show the effects sooner.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

What brands carry the right kind of speaker to replace it with?
Old 03-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I've been very impressed with the CDT replacements sold by Kee Audio (a sponsor here - see above). They are component speakers that can be mounted coaxially (with the tweeter inside the woofer) just like the stock Camaro setup.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Is it the same kind of speaker, just not factory? I saw that sponsor, I just need to know which part to order and if it's good quality.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

They are excellent quality - far better than the stock speakers. The connectors from the factory speakers would have to be transferred to the CDT speakers or you could just splice the wiring but otherwise they fit and work just like stock.

Just contact Ian at Kee Audio and tell him what you need or check out the preconfigured speaker kits for Camaros and Firebirds listed on his website.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

I don't know anything about installing speakers, so would some reputable place be able to install it?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yes, as long as by "reputable" you don't include big box stores like Best Buy. You may run into some reluctance of audio shops to install equipment you didn't buy from them but ask around, I'm sure somebody would do it.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

monsoon speakers "blow" get it? heh...heh....
Old 03-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Northside405
I don't know anything about installing speakers, so would some reputable place be able to install it?
The issue is that most places are not familiar with how the Monsoon system is set up. That's why they try to get you to replace it with something they are familiar with and can install.
With the right equipment you can still use the stock system and get better sound from it then stock. By no means a competition level system or anything but much better then stock quality and longevity.
ANY reputable shop should be able to install these speakers as it really is trading apples for apples as far as how they have the seperate provision for tweeter and midbass while still being mounted coaxially. The install should be as simple as reusing the stock speakers connector and using it with the new speakers. This way it can be plugged back into the stock harness without cutting into it. To give you an idea of how it is done:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...tall-pics.html
As you may be able to see, the stock connectors from the the stock speakers are reused so that you are able to plug back into the stock harness.
This was a DIY installation done very well.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my old camaro had 2 blown front speakers and cracked dash too lol sun is burning over here...anyway its rly simple jst get an after market speakers...