Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Need Help Choosing Clutch Kit - ***so many options***

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help Choosing Clutch Kit - ***so many options***

It's just about time for me to make a clutch kit decision and I need you guys' help.

Option #1 = GM LS7 Clutch Kit (clutch, pp, fw, slave cylinder, etc.) for $675 shipped. (I'm not sure if this comes with pilot bearing, release bearing, and alignment tool also).

Option #2 = Same as above but an aluminum flywheel instead for $790 shipped. (I'm not sure if this comes with pilot bearing, release bearing, and alignment tool also).

Option #3 = Monster Level 1 Kit: H.D. pressure plate, 12" organic clutch disc, 28lb SFI certified billet steel flywheel or an 18lb SFI certified light weight flywheel (your choice), pilot bearing, release bearing, slave cylinder, and alignment tool for $845

I am looking for a very stock-like feel. I don't want a clutch that is super hard to engage or that is really grabby. I am also trying to do this as cheap as I can (looking for value for the $$$ spent, or bang for the buck). Another thing is that I only have 351 hp/365 ft-lbs at the wheels right now and the most I would ever go would be 450/450 at the wheels, so I don't need a crazy clutch. I also take my car to the track (HPDEs, lapping days) a couple of times per year and want a clutch that will work well for that application. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

You know where I stand on this. Monster all the way (They are my local performance shop). No guess work, you get everything you need in one box. Can't go wrong with that.

You will be happy either way. Good luck!
Old 03-05-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by whisler151
You know where I stand on this. Monster all the way (They are my local performance shop). No guess work, you get everything you need in one box. Can't go wrong with that.

You will be happy either way. Good luck!
Yeah, I figured as much, haha. I know you have had great luck with Monster.

The main option with the Monster setup for me would then be, do I go with the 28 lb flywheel, or the 18 lb flywheel for even more weight (rotational mass) savings?

Truthfully, how does the clutch pedal feel and engagment/disengagment feel compared to stock? (I know you have probably already answered all this stuff, but I would be happy with a little bit more feedback from you now that you have been using this setup for a few months now) I don't want something that I'm gonna hate to drive.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tweeter81
Yeah, I figured as much, haha. I know you have had great luck with Monster.

The main option with the Monster setup for me would then be, do I go with the 28 lb flywheel, or the 18 lb flywheel for even more weight (rotational mass) savings?

Truthfully, how does the clutch pedal feel and engagment/disengagment feel compared to stock? I don't want something that I'm gonna hate to drive.
You will love the light flywheel. You will more than likely have chatter the first 500 miles with the level 1. I have not felt the level 1 but i was told its just a bit stiffer than stock.

I had random chatter for about the first 1000 miles in my level 2. It wasnt anything bad, just noticed that it was there. It's completely gone now. My pedal is stiffer than stock. I drove a friends V and it felt like i was slicing a hot knife through butter.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Im liking the monster clutches. I dont need one yet but i will in the near future...
Old 03-05-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ph-inside.html

im going to pick one of these up when the stocker goes.. there are a lot of options for the V these days
Old 03-05-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ph-inside.html

im going to pick one of these up when the stocker goes.. there are a lot of options for the V these days
Damn! Looks nice! Pretty pricey though at $1200 or so...
Old 03-05-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tweeter81
It's just about time for me to make a clutch kit decision and I need you guys' help.

Option #1 = GM LS7 Clutch Kit (clutch, pp, fw, slave cylinder, etc.) for $675 shipped. (I'm not sure if this comes with pilot bearing, release bearing, and alignment tool also).

Option #2 = Same as above but an aluminum flywheel instead for $790 shipped. (I'm not sure if this comes with pilot bearing, release bearing, and alignment tool also).

Option #3 = Monster Level 1 Kit: H.D. pressure plate, 12" organic clutch disc, 28lb SFI certified billet steel flywheel or an 18lb SFI certified light weight flywheel (your choice), pilot bearing, release bearing, slave cylinder, and alignment tool for $845

I am looking for a very stock-like feel. I don't want a clutch that is super hard to engage or that is really grabby. I am also trying to do this as cheap as I can (looking for value for the $$$ spent, or bang for the buck). Another thing is that I only have 351 hp/365 ft-lbs at the wheels right now and the most I would ever go would be 450/450 at the wheels, so I don't need a crazy clutch. I also take my car to the track (HPDEs, lapping days) a couple of times per year and want a clutch that will work well for that application. Let me know what you guys think.
Tweet
Just to throw out another option there is the SPEC stage 1 which is comparable to the LS7. Rated at 599 it has an organic friction disc that should have a friendly engagement like the LS7. The steel flywheel is $600 and the aluminum flywheel (12lbs) is $750. You can probably find at least 10% off list from a local dealer. Comes with the spacer but not a remote bleeder. SPEC has over 20,000 installs for LS applications which is why you seem to always hear someone who had a bad experience with one. It's just a result having a big market share. Just another option to consider.

Mikey

PS If you like track days HPDE you'll probably like the 12lb flywheel.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

Tweet which way did you go with this? I think I'm about to order up that Fidanza twin disk setup from MAP.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im going monster Level 3 but Im gonna chose the 28lb flywheel since its a daily driver. It should be a little more forgiving then the 18lb. I cant imagine an 18lb flywheel in 1st and second gear with nitrous in second also, might as well go right to 3rd lol. Ive heard great things about monster and liek said above, it comes with everything, no guess work.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Im going monster Level 3 but Im gonna chose the 28lb flywheel since its a daily driver. It should be a little more forgiving then the 18lb. I cant imagine an 18lb flywheel in 1st and second gear with nitrous in second also, might as well go right to 3rd lol. Ive heard great things about monster and liek said above, it comes with everything, no guess work.
I think the driveability stays the same if not better. Hence the reason many new cars are coming from the dealer with twin clutch auto's. Car is my DD also.

I would steer away from Spec clutches, used two in two of my f-body's and they where just a spec disk with a valejo pressure plate... Those are the clutches you get for under 200 bucks at the local parts houses.

Both where stage 3 clutches and they always shimmied on take off. Drove me nuts. Both with billet steel flywheels(those where nice!).
Old 03-28-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z28poweredlt1
Tweet which way did you go with this? I think I'm about to order up that Fidanza twin disk setup from MAP.
I have the Monster Stage 2 with 18 lb FW on order. Hopefully it will be here sometime this coming week.

I am going to enlist the help of a friend and do some before and after clutch testing. I am going to take some video of the tach revving the car up to 6000 rpm and letting the rps come down with the stock clutch setup, and then I'll do it again with the new setup and see if there is any difference.

I am also going to do 0-60 MPH times before and after (with the new clutch kit and GForce axles) and hopefully there should be some measurable improvement.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dont bother doing a rev test because ther is no load on the motor so it really doesn mean much, just do some seconmd gear pulls through the RPM range. there are already a few vids on youtube of lightweight flywheel revs on V's
Old 03-29-2010, 05:18 AM
Banned

I am very unhappy with my spec, its been nothing but problems for me.

Go with monster or LS7 or maybe a twin disk
Old 03-29-2010, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

+1 on staying away from Spec. Serious quaility control issues. I had one and will never go back.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

I'm hoping to have my Fidanza 6.5 twin finished up by tomorrow. I'll dyno it Saturday if I can get the time slot. I'll give you a report on it in a few days.

Quick Reply: Need Help Choosing Clutch Kit - ***so many options***