Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Seeking install help for lights in doors!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking install help for lights in doors!

Anyone have a install guide for replacing the lights in the doors?
Old 03-08-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you mean those little red lights in the door handle bezel its really simple. IIRC the light part no is 194 for sylvania. its a really small one.

1. pop out the door lock (might not be necessary but i usually do it) i mean the manual door lock piece, not the power locks.
2. unscrew the screw that holds the bezel trim around the door handle on
3. carefully pull trim out and twords the front of the car. also helps if you have the door open so you can move the handle if need be. you don't need to totally remove it. be careful not to pull it out too far because of the wire attatched to it.
4. you'll notice a wire with a clip going into the back of the trim. this is where the light is, carefully twist the cable attatchment out of the handle bezel and you'll see a small bulb inside it. IIRC the bulb just pulls out but you might have to twist it. go to the autoparts store and get a replacement.

I was going to include a PDF of the owners manual i found for a 2000 Firebird but it doesn't tell you how to change them in there.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 03-08-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

idk maybe my bulb is so old i couldnt get those damn suckers out i pulled twisted nothing im about to cut off the connection and just get a led
Old 03-08-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah you probably just need to work at it. i think it does twist out. I have changed both of mine before and i don't think it was that difficult. I'm pretty sure the redness of the light is by a red screen in the door panel, not by the light itself.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea it is idk y my lights are stuck in the socket im prob just going some led's it will be a little brighter
Old 03-08-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Mine didn't come out either with my fingers. I just used a pair of needle nose pliers and crushed the bulb and pulled it out by the filament. Worked perfectly!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

They DON'T twist out. They pull out, and if I'm not mistaken, there not 194s. I think there 74s like the HVAC controls? The smaller ones are almost impossible to get out without breaking them. I ended up having to crush them and dig them out with a pick.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

actually i think 74 and 194 are interchangeable? i think i saw both listed for the same place on autozone's website. you might be right though. as for the pull vs twist, its been a good 3 years since i changed mine so yeah i guess they do probably just pull out.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
actually i think 74 and 194 are interchangeable? i think i saw both listed for the same place on autozone's website. you might be right though. as for the pull vs twist, its been a good 3 years since i changed mine so yeah i guess they do probably just pull out.
I think there was a bit of confusion now that you mention it. I was refering to the bulb itself. Which is what he was having problems with, and you said they twist out, but perhaps you were referring to where they twist into the bezel? Not really sure, but they twist into the bezel, and the bulb itself just pulls out. If I remember right, 74 is the small one, which doesn't interchange. There much smaller than the 194. 194 is the gauge cluster, turn signal, and even the ashtray light. I think the car only has a total of 4 74s. 2 in the doors and 2 in the HVAC.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by squee
I think there was a bit of confusion now that you mention it. I was refering to the bulb itself. Which is what he was having problems with, and you said they twist out, but perhaps you were referring to where they twist into the bezel? Not really sure, but they twist into the bezel, and the bulb itself just pulls out. If I remember right, 74 is the small one, which doesn't interchange. There much smaller than the 194. 194 is the gauge cluster, turn signal, and even the ashtray light. I think the car only has a total of 4 74s. 2 in the doors and 2 in the HVAC.
actually yes i was referring to how to remove the wiring harness and bulb from the bezel, not how to physically remove the bulb from the wiring harness. then yeah the bulb pops right out.

as for the 194 vs 74, you probably are right. i just did a really quick search

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 03-08-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Thanks so much everyone for the help I got them in securely! I only have one thing that bothers me! The driver side bulb is not as bright as the passenger door!

I know that sounds **** but the difference is quite huge

Did I do something wrong?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Koastie57
Thanks so much everyone for the help I got them in securely! I only have one thing that bothers me! The driver side bulb is not as bright as the passenger door!

I know that sounds **** but the difference is quite huge

Did I do something wrong?
try switching the bulbs from one side to the other? if the drivers side becomes brighter than maybe one of the bulbs is defective? if they stay the same it could be the wiring or maybe the red cover isn't on right or something?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Launching!

ill check it out tomorrow but their is definetly a difference...
Old 03-08-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine was the same way. I think its just how the bezels are.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by squee
Mine was the same way. I think its just how the bezels are.
Did you ever fix it? This is going to be one of those stupid tiny things that annoys me lol
Old 03-09-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koastie57
Did you ever fix it? This is going to be one of those stupid tiny things that annoys me lol
No, I just said to hell with it. Its one of those things that bothered me too, but when I turn on my other interior LEDs (just blue LEDs under the dash and seats for ambient lighting) you can't really notice it.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just removed the wiring for the bulbs altogether and spliced in LEDs, and used silicone to glue them to the trim. I also drilled out the hole ever so slightly larger for more light to go through. More lighting & last longer. Took the pics in complete darkness to show how bright they can be. Goofed the 2nd pic a bit; almost directly looking at the LED.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Veteran

^^I did something similar except I used the stock bulb socket and mounted it sideways with sideways aiming SMD bulbs. Both sides are super bright. pics in my fquick
Old 03-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thecobrahunter
I just removed the wiring for the bulbs altogether and spliced in LEDs, and used silicone to glue them to the trim. I also drilled out the hole ever so slightly larger for more light to go through. More lighting & last longer. Took the pics in complete darkness to show how bright they can be. Goofed the 2nd pic a bit; almost directly looking at the LED.

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
^^I did something similar except I used the stock bulb socket and mounted it sideways with sideways aiming SMD bulbs. Both sides are super bright. pics in my fquick
Wow both of you guys have some super bright ones they look nice.. ill probably just leave them be! Ill get used to it lol
Old 03-09-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

all you have to do is back the bulb out some, it will get as bright as the drivers side, once it does just use some electrical tape and tape the socket to the trim, sense it want lock in place anymore..