Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can it be done !?!?! Fully functioning TA seats in a Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can it be done !?!?! Fully functioning TA seats in a Camaro

Has any one done this ? I know that the power seats will work but has any one got the bolsters to work ? Also there are three connections under a TA seat . What do they do ? I know when I put TA seats in my camaro the harness didn't match up and I had to splice them in . But what do the other wires do ?
Old 03-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes can be done but sorry i cant remember what wires are what
Old 03-08-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can any one post pix or a thread ? I searched and didn't find anything. What would one need to make it fully function ?
Old 03-08-2010, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

I have no experience with this, but all export Camaro's had TA seats in them, so I'm sure they'll fit pretty easy.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm sure they fit perfect man but I am talking about the lumbar and stuff functioning. Also the TA seats are able to move in more directions than a camaro
Old 03-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

Yes, definitely can be done. You need to start with a Camaro with power seats (obviously), as you need the power wiring. The TA seats are connected with an air tube that runs from the driver to the passenger seat, under the console. You need that tube, to connect the two seats. Connect up your power (you may need to change the plug), hook up the air tube, and you are good to go.

(I did this way back when in my 1987 IROC-Z. I miss that car...)
Old 03-09-2010, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jaysan
I'm sure they fit perfect man but I am talking about the lumbar and stuff functioning. Also the TA seats are able to move in more directions than a camaro
Well I doubt GM would've exported these cars with the seats not working properly...

I didn't know the TA's had lumbar. Damn, if I didn't have custom leather work done on my seats I would be switching...
Old 03-09-2010, 01:12 AM
12 Second Club

how about door panels?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NINO_SS
how about door panels?
They swap too...Just need to remove one tab.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wu6fiend
Yes, definitely can be done. You need to start with a Camaro with power seats (obviously), as you need the power wiring. The TA seats are connected with an air tube and wiring harness that runs from the driver to the passenger seat, under the console. You need that harness, to connect the two seats. Connect up your power hook up the air tube, and you are good to go.
Just did this 2 days ago! The only thing that I had to do was unbolt the right side of the slider to move the tubes for the airpump to have more slack. Otherwise it would have run under the seat brackets and crimped the hose. Just make sure when you buy the seats to get the harness.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Please
Old 03-09-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its been done,ive done it to my z, with lumbar and full power. i have pics of ta seats in the camaro, but i dont have pics of the wiring.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SuperSport346
Well I doubt GM would've exported these cars with the seats not working properly...

I didn't know the TA's had lumbar. Damn, if I didn't have custom leather work done on my seats I would be switching...
I have the lumbar motors and bladder inserts from my TA for sale. I replaced my seats with Corbeaus. The leather on my stock seats wasnt in great condition, but I saved all the power bits, figuring someone out there could use them. If you're interested, PM me, I was told by a local upholstry guy that they'd be pretty easy to install into another set of seats.

Amanda
Old 03-09-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
its been done,ive done it to my z, with lumbar and full power. i have pics of ta seats in the camaro, but i dont have pics of the wiring.
Did you need to get anything special out of the TA that the camaro didn't have ?
Old 03-09-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wu6fiend
Yes, definitely can be done. You need to start with a Camaro with power seats (obviously), as you need the power wiring. The TA seats are connected with an air tube that runs from the driver to the passenger seat, under the console. You need that tube, to connect the two seats. Connect up your power (you may need to change the plug), hook up the air tube, and you are good to go.

(I did this way back when in my 1987 IROC-Z. I miss that car...)
exactly. this is how it works. I did this also in my car. the power also runs along side that air tube. u need to get the harness and it will plug right up with the stock camaro connector that sits under the seat. everything works perfectly.

also, the doors have to have a tab cut off and some new screws need to be placed correctly. its not hard at all. only problem is the power mirrors will no longer work. u will have to manually splice into it to get it to work, but i wasnt too worried about it, so i left it alone. sorry, i got no pics.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Are there any on ebay for sale ? What is the going rate? Also the power for the tubes goes under the arm rest console ?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are there any on ebay for sale ? What is the going rate? Also the power for the tubes goes under the arm rest console ?
yes it does. ur gonna have to take all that out to get to it. it will run under the carpet. they do sell them on ebay: this is what u need right here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-97...Q5fAccessories

not a bad price at all. i would jump on that asap.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Yahelou
yes it does. ur gonna have to take all that out to get to it. it will run under the carpet. they do sell them on ebay: this is what u need right here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-97...Q5fAccessories

not a bad price at all. i would jump on that asap.
what does the multi colored harness plug into ?? and what does it do . I know that black hoses fill up with air. Can any one show the things that harness plugs into ?

Also is there anything else that would be needed ?
Old 03-10-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

what does the multi colored harness plug into ?? and what does it do . I know that black hoses fill up with air. Can any one show the things that harness plugs into ?

Also is there anything else that would be needed ?
one side that has a white plug, black plug, and air plug, that will go under ur driver side. white plug will connect with the plug that is coming out from under the carpet. but i believe u said u spliced or cut into it. the black plugs connect to the adapters comin out of the seats. its pretty easy. that is all u need.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey can anyone that has done this swap explain some of the rules and procedures of this swap?

my camaro has a power driver seat.

let me tell what i have. please tell me what parts i am lacking to have power movement (closer to steering wheel, further from steering wheel)(driver only) and power lumbar seats (both driver and passenger).

i have 2 trans am seats
i have a camaro power seat bracket for the driver side
i have camaro seat switches for the driver side
i have a camaro manual seat bracket for the passenger side
i have trans am power lumbar switches for the passenger side
i have the air pump for the power bolsters/lumbar
i DO NOT have the harness (i know that i need this)

it sounds like I definitely need the power seat switches for the driver side from a trans am, correct?

i also need the driver side power seat bracket that bolts to the floor from a trans am, correct? is there any difference in plugs between years because my car is a 99 and i found a trans am power seat bracket and switches from i believe a 2001

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Can it be done !?!?! Fully functioning TA seats in a Camaro