Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Complete System upgrade! Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Complete System upgrade! Help

I just stated my stereo overhaul in my trans am (10 speaker monsoon factory). I bought two pairs of alpine type R component speakers( doors and kick panels). I'm also getting a set of type r coaxial speakers for the sails. I Bought q logic kick panels to move the sound imagining forward in the car, because i dont normally drive from the hatch area! lol I'm getting a kdc x994 head unit, which is kenwoods best unit without getting dvd. I don't know how to go about powering this setup, I also need to be able to power a 10" sub. Please give any advice on this setup you can!!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

First of all congratulations on buying good components and a good headunit, you seem to have did a bit of research.

For your front stage it will be best to buy a 4 channel amplifier to power your kicks and front doors. Run your sails off the head unit.

Secondly, What are your goals for bass? this will determine sub, power and enclosure.

Budget for entire system would be nice to help ensure I recommend the best quality you can afford.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Teching In

As you can see from the components thus far I'm looking for quality products but not going INSANE. I want a Clean system, so one good ten would suffice for a sub. I don't need to win a bass comp just even out the highs-mids-lows . The idea of powering the sails by the head unit is a good one, but I was wondering if they would be seriously underpowered or not?
Old 03-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by focus12221
As you can see from the components thus far I'm looking for quality products but not going INSANE. I want a Clean system, so one good ten would suffice for a sub. I don't need to win a bass comp just even out the highs-mids-lows . The idea of powering the sails by the head unit is a good one, but I was wondering if they would be seriously underpowered or not?
You would no be giving the sails as much power as if you had amped them, but you want more of a front stage, sails are primarily your filler. You want the music coming from the front.

A great sub would be a 10" alpine type r if you like the alpine
But an RE audio se is also a VERY good choice. I am very partial to RE audio they produce great products

Both of these would work well in a stelath box.
~600 rms on ether of these subs and you will be satisfied.

Good choices for amplifiers are Alpine, Memphis, Rockford fosgate, Us Amps, and Kicker just to name a few. All of these brands offer mono, and fll range amplifiers to suit your needs.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cameron-95LT1
You would no be giving the sails as much power as if you had amped them, but you want more of a front stage, sails are primarily your filler. You want the music coming from the front.

A great sub would be a 10" alpine type r if you like the alpine
But an RE audio se is also a VERY good choice. I am very partial to RE audio they produce great products

Both of these would work well in a stelath box.
~600 rms on ether of these subs and you will be satisfied.

Good choices for amplifiers are Alpine, Memphis, Rockford fosgate, Us Amps, and Kicker just to name a few. All of these brands offer mono, and fll range amplifiers to suit your needs.
dude you had 2 SE's on an aq2200 right? I use to post @ CA all the fluggin time.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ellsworth
dude you had 2 SE's on an aq2200 right? I use to post @ CA all the fluggin time.
Yup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzUXmiDq_Is

CA.com is nowehere near where it once was, just a reality tv show now.

Im sure the setup had more in it, the box was 5/8 and i bustd it apart. The HPF seems high but camera distortion is a big factor
Old 03-11-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah true.. didnt you move from the camaro' to a ranger?
Old 03-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I bought a ranger for a little more reliable transportation, I was running a 10" PSI custom in the ranger ported. did a 140.1 with it.
I was thinking of selling the camaro but I got it fixed and got a little 10" se waiting to go in it.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Alpine's Type R 10" is a great sub for the price that hits hard.

I have the same sub amped with the Alpine 500W Class D Mono MOSFET Amplifier (Model: MRP-M500).

I am about to make the switch to a 5ch amp (Alpine, Model: PDX-5) just to avoid having an amp to power the sub and another 4 ch amp to power the speakers.

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 03-12-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Additional Info.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Teching In

How do i power the speakers, six channel? two 4 channels? Run a four channel and power the sails by deck?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

get a 2chan for the comps, run the rest off the headunit. if your not throwing 1k+rms in a substage, than you will be more than fine.

I was running 1600rms on 2 Type R's in 3^ft sealed for around 7 months and never had a problem.. with other than not hearing vocals when playing decaf haha.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Teching In

I HAVE TWO SETS of COMPS. And a pair of speakers, all type R, no way they are going to run of the head unit clean, type Rs do not sound good without an amp