Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Patience gone, so is my monsoon. Need suggestions on rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patience gone, so is my monsoon. Need suggestions on rebuild.

Hey guys/gals, i've decided not to take chances on wasting money/potential on aftermarket speakers to work with the monsoon H/U and amp. I am going to take my time and remove all of the components and start from scratch.

I am not an expert in audio and would need some advice on what to get.
My goals are to get a head unit that fits in the existing port. I would rather not get one of those adapter kits (had bad experiences with them).
I would like to have only one amp, two max. I like keeping things simple.
Finally, for speakers, I would like to put coaxials up front (same size as stock), subs in the sail panels (same size as stock) and the same for the rear hatch.

I am finding this stuff interesting and am anxious to get started. Your adivice will be appreciated.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Just a quick note...the adapter kit looks really great on camaros, as its one of the few that sits flush with the cd player and doesnt poke out. How come you didnt like it?
Old 12-31-2003, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SidewayzOZ
Just a quick note...the adapter kit looks really great on camaros, as its one of the few that sits flush with the cd player and doesnt poke out. How come you didnt like it?
In the past, when I had an Old's Quad 442 (pretty cool car) I had an aftermarket deck installed with a kit (Oldsmobile's had the big Delco H/U's). After a while, the radio would disconnect after hitting bumps. It would drive me nuts . Years later, I bought a 1999 V6 Camaro coupe. I had a CD H/U installed with a detachable face. The same thing happened after a couple of months. Almost every bump.

However, I might have to consider a kit because I hear that the large (din 1/2) face decks are not that good. So if you have something that is good, school me!
Old 12-31-2003, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Im not too sure what kinda budget you are looking at...but I can tell you any of the big names will probably be good (Alpine, pioneer, panasonic, etc). Take a look at a bunch of them, and make sure you take a look at exactly what your needs will be (mp3 capabilities, etc). I would recommend buying the cd player off ebay new (way cheaper than install shops); however, install shops are great places to go check out cd players and play around with them, because you definitely want to try out some before you buy one.

On to speakers....for the fronts, if you are going to spend more on one set of speakers, make it these. I myself have mb quart psd 216 component set up front, and it sounds really great. If you are just looking at coaxials though mb quart makes some good coaxial sets as well. I also like the sound of the infiniti kappa's (coaxial). If you are looking for a nice set of budget speakers those can be had off ebay for around $90.

As far as rear speakers go...putting 6.5" subs in the rear slots isnt going to do all that much for you. Subwoofers are made to work in enclosures, so you might be better off going with a decent sit of mid bass speakers back there (basically a coaxial without the tweeter, which I honestly believe is what the monsoon has. They can call them subwoofers all day, but I still consider them mid bass speakers).

For the rear speakers(hatch area), I believe those are 4" speakers, and I really couldnt tell you what to look for. Check out some of the name brands. You might be better off getting either two sets of coaxials (front and rear) or a coaxial set and a midbass set and leaving these speakers out alltogether. This way you can purchase a 4 channel amp and be done with it.

Let me know what ya think.

Last edited by SidewayzOZ; 12-31-2003 at 02:32 PM. Reason: speaker location clarification
Old 01-02-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am completely redoing mine. So far I have a Kenwood KDC-MP922 deck, 4 Infinity Kappa 652.5i 6.75" speakekers.(two in doors two in side panels), one Lanzar 430 amp. It really sounds good! I have another Lanzar amp and 2 Infinity Kappa 693.5i 6x9 triax speakers and I am considering putting them in boxes in back!

I took out the whole monsoon system. If anybody is interested in it, let me know! I have the 12 disc CD Changer also. I am relacing it with a Kenwood CX-87 10 disc unit!
Old 01-02-2004, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Hey Deeavi, pardon if this is a ridiculous question, but are you driving all 4 speakers off the amp? How many ohms are these speakers? and how many watts per channel is this amp putting out?- and at how many ohms? This sounds like a good set-up. How's your bass with these 4 kenwoods?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Teching In

I have a new alpine I just installed in September with a kit and I got the installation free and the cool thing is the guy left it pretty easy to add speakers. I got one with three sets of preouts so all I got to do now is get my factory speakers replaced and probably stick an alpine amp and sub in the hatch.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mod Maniac
Hey Deeavi, pardon if this is a ridiculous question, but are you driving all 4 speakers off the amp? How many ohms are these speakers? and how many watts per channel is this amp putting out?- and at how many ohms? This sounds like a good set-up. How's your bass with these 4 kenwoods?

Thanks!
The four 6.75" speakers are Infinity kappa and their freq. range is 45Hz-21Khz. They sound great and have good mid-bass and everything above. I am putting the 6x9s in today. Their freq. range is 35Hz-22Khz so I am hoping they will give me the lower base. If not I will put in a 10" Pioneer sub that I have. I not sure I want to put in the sub because I am trying to keep the weight of the car down. I will know later if the 6x9s in boxes will do the trick! It sounds great riht now, but some lower bass would be the icing on the cake! I will let you know how it goes!
The amps are Lanzar Vibe 430s and they put out 250x4 max power @ 4 Ohms. RMS is 125x4 @ 4 Ohms, and yes the one amp drives the four 6.75" speakers. The other amp will power the 6x9s on two channels and I will have two chanels left that I can use for the sub if I need it. The Lanzar amps are some of the best for the money!!
Old 01-05-2004, 06:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

First off, whoever told you that most 1.5din units suck was completely right. Most of the good ones are damn expensive and do not have nearly as many features as a single din in that price range. I strongly recommend the Alpine 9811. Or if you can afford to bump up, the Alpine 9813. With 6-channel time correction, you aren't gonna find a better headunit for the money.

Next, as stated above, you're not going to get much bass from 6 1/2"s. They just don't have the displacement. If that's what you're looking for, then you'll need to add a 10" sub in a stealth box.(about $170 w/o amp) I personally believe a subwoofer is a necessity for a well rounded system. However, if you are set on not buying a subwoofer, I recommend the Rockford Fosgate RFP4406 6.5" subs for the sail panels. (rear seat area) For the front, opt for a quality component system. Many are only a few dollars more then a pair of co-axils. Check out the Infinity Reference set. It goes for like $90-$95 brand new off Ebay. If you're willing to spend more, check out Alpine's type R set. Or if you can afford it, the Focal 165A's. And ditch the far rear 4" hatch speakers. They are WAYY to rear to the rear to do any good. I'm not joking. Just ask around.

Power your four 6.5"s with a 4-channel amp. There are many quality brands out there that fit your needs. The kicker KX600.4 will give each speaker 75WRMS, which is damn good. I'm sure Rockford makes something that will fit your needs/budget. If you plan on adding a subwoofer, you can go with a single 5-channel amp such as the Kicker KX700.5 or you can have two seperate amps. It's up to you. Let us know what you think.