Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Raced a 28psi cammed EVO.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raced a 28psi cammed EVO.

I know alot of you dnt check out the racing section so figured id share here..

Finally warm weather is here, I got the open up my beast since getting the new cam setup in.

My buddie has a evo, his mods are in the video.
basicly everybolt on and cams , still on the stock turbo pushing it to the limit at 28psi.

My mods and dyno numbers are in the sig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10AfpFjDTck

Also please excuse my shifting, Im having some issues with my spec 3+/maybe the master cyl, im having trouble getting into gears at high RPMS. Im working on resolving the issue.

I missed 4th in the second race but caught it the second try and was able to pass the evo . I wasnt sure if the evo let off but I asked the kid after the race and he said he didnt let off, and hiss passanger confermed . Im amazed how hard this thing pulls in 4th gear.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Nice runs man
Old 03-12-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so what do yall think the evo put down?
Old 03-12-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

Nice video!!

I would look at the slave being the issue. Or the slave spacer is incorrect
Old 03-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tainted
so what do yall think the evo put down?
he said is was 390hp 378tq on a dyno jet.

He wants to rematch , hes kindof upset so we'll see what happens
Old 03-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

Nice vid and i dont mean to come off as a dick,or call bs to your win or anything but if that really is a full bolt on cammed evo 9, pushing 28 psi that car should easily be putting down 370 whp and torque, and trapping in the 116+ range. Those numbers could go up even higher depending if hes on pump, race gas(100oct+) meth injection or e85 and depending on what type of cams too. Expecially seeing that you missed 4th, that will mean your car is trapping 121+. I wish that were the case since i'm going to be camming my v in 2 weeks, with similar mods that you have. I Love both cars and i own an evo myself too.

Last edited by redctsv; 03-12-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've got aftermarket engine mounts, correct? Since you missed 4th like that, perhaps you need either a fluid change, or your synchros are on their way out.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by redctsv
Nice vid and i dont mean to come off as a dick,or call bs to your win or anything but if that really is a full bolt on cammed evo 9, pushing 28 psi that car should easily be putting down 370 whp and torque, and trapping in the 116+ range. Those numbers could go up even higher depending if hes on pump, race gas(100oct+) meth injection or e85 and depending on what type of cams too. Expecially seeing that you missed 4th, that will mean your car is trapping 121+. I wish that were the case since i'm going to be camming my v in 2 weeks, with similar mods that you have. I Love both cars and i own an evo myself too.
The kids a good buddie of mine, I know the mods and numbers are true.

But you cant compare a evo to a CTS-V in a DIG race.
I have no chance in hell and i know it.

your trap speed calculations go out the door since EVO's are capable of 60'fts in the 1.5 range or better. And because of the weight of the CTS-V numbers like that are nearly impossible .

1/4 mile and 50mph roll is a totally diffrent ball game, the weight of the CTS-V is rolling so it doesnt hurt it as much, and then the AWD advantage is useless
Old 03-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

I hear what your saying but, there are many factors that your missing too. the car may be AWD but, but once were looking at whp the awd drivetrain loss is already acounted for. Plus a trap speed is a trap speed sure you can have 2 cars with different quicknesses, but if they both trap for example 117 from a dig there are many more factors that change the 1/4 mi time, but from a roll they will be a much more even race. Plus you are significantly heavier easily 600 lbs so even though it does not count as much its still a factor. Either way seeing is believing and you did reel him in up top, but your friends shifting looks abit slow too. Plus his 4th ends at about 120 depending on how high he is reving his evo, while the a stock v's 4th ends at 130, depending if you rev yours out to 6800(cam springs) you rev 4th to like what 135ish. I think its him shifting to 5th that really allowed you to catch up. trust me I know, back when my evo was boltons stock turbo, my buddy in his T/A It was neck and neck and would always pull away once i shifted to 5th, since he was still reving out 4th. Either way nice kill and i am a fan of both cars.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Nice, good runs bro! I love runnin evos and sti's
Old 03-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Banned

I hear what your saying but, there are many factors that your missing too. the car may be AWD but, but once were looking at whp the awd drivetrain loss is already acounted for. Plus a trap speed is a trap speed sure you can have 2 cars with different quicknesses, but if they both trap for example 117 from a dig there are many more factors that change the 1/4 mi time, but from a roll they will be a much more even race. Plus you are significantly heavier easily 600 lbs so even though it does not count as much its still a factor. Either way seeing is believing and you did reel him in up top, but your friends shifting looks abit slow too. Plus his 4th ends at about 120 depending on how high he is reving his evo, while the a stock v's 4th ends at 130, depending if you rev yours out to 6800(cam springs) you rev 4th to like what 135ish. I think its him shifting to 5th that really allowed you to catch up. trust me I know, back when my evo was boltons stock turbo, my buddy in his T/A It was neck and neck and would always pull away once i shifted to 5th, since he was still reving out 4th. Either way nice kill and i am a fan of both cars.

ya im a fan of both cars, the evo just isnt geared for top end .
( if it was a 6spd MR it would of had a better shot)

But I was still almost neck to neck with him 2nd and 3rd gear. he got a slight jump brake boosting but other then that he wasnt really pulling away.

But you cant still compare trap speeds . If he didnt launch the the evo his trap speed would be around 110ish. VS if he launched it its almost 120

im reving to stock rev limiter still, 6500 to keep it safe

my buddie is still on reg 93, but he has a trick up his sleeve and wants a rematch, I think hes going to run alittle meth.

i think he should be running meth already cause 28psi is alot for that turbo.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lubelizard
You've got aftermarket engine mounts, correct? Since you missed 4th like that, perhaps you need either a fluid change, or your synchros are on their way out.

No its the clutch, started doing it right after the install , or i may have air in the system still. Going to try bleeding again.

Theres 2 other guys that had the same issue with spec and had to go with a diffrent brand. This is a common problem after doing some research .
Old 03-13-2010, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
ya im a fan of both cars, the evo just isnt geared for top end .
( if it was a 6spd MR it would of had a better shot)

But I was still almost neck to neck with him 2nd and 3rd gear. he got a slight jump brake boosting but other then that he wasnt really pulling away.

But you cant still compare trap speeds . If he didnt launch the the evo his trap speed would be around 110ish. VS if he launched it its almost 120

im reving to stock rev limiter still, 6500 to keep it safe

my buddie is still on reg 93, but he has a trick up his sleeve and wants a rematch, I think hes going to run alittle meth.

i think he should be running meth already cause 28psi is alot for that turbo.

Actually the 6 speed is worse. Yeah he might a mph or 2 if he bogged, but a stock turbo at 4.5k rpms break boosting is not losing anything its right in the powerband, same as with a good launch( trust me I know ive bogged a few times at the track). Now a days running 28psi on a stock turbo setup is the norm. Now with better fuel he can really be aggressive with the timing and take her up to 30psi and she should fly.

Do you have any idea what traps you might get out of your V? Curious since my set up will be very similar to yours when its done. then its off to the track.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Banned

Actually the 6 speed is worse. Yeah he might a mph or 2 if he bogged, but a stock turbo at 4.5k rpms break boosting is not losing anything its right in the powerband, same as with a good launch( trust me I know ive bogged a few times at the track). Now a days running 28psi on a stock turbo setup is the norm. Now with better fuel he can really be aggressive with the timing and take her up to 30psi and she should fly.

Do you have any idea what traps you might get out of your V? Curious since my set up will be very similar to yours when its done. then its off to the track.

The V sucks at the track , its just to damm heavy . I wont be tracking mine this year unless it Hit the lottery. Next winter I plan on doing a gen 3 diff with some axles and Dr's. But the V just isnt a good 1/4 mile car.

You still cant realy compare trap speed since the EVO has such a huge jump with the AWD, you can compare two RWD cars like a M5 to the CTS-V. But comparing the evo and the V is kindof like apples and oranges.

Last edited by maxspeed96ct; 03-13-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
No its the clutch, started doing it right after the install , or i may have air in the system still. Going to try bleeding again.

Theres 2 other guys that had the same issue with spec and had to go with a diffrent brand. This is a common problem after doing some research .
Ah, good to know. Forgot you have an aftermarket clutch.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

nice runs!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Good runs!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:54 AM
10 Second Club

Good runs, I'll start by saying that the clutch itself isn't your shifting problem. It's either the hydraulics or the trans itself. If you think about how a clutch works, it can't actually make you miss a shift.... Lol.

If it's making it into gear and then clunking out, the keys or the syncros aren't getting the complete gear change off. If it's locking you out of the gear, it's either the hydraulics or you didn't use the correct spacers with the install(if it even required any, certain clutches do, certain don't).

Cheers.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by z28poweredlt1
Good runs, I'll start by saying that the clutch itself isn't your shifting problem. It's either the hydraulics or the trans itself. If you think about how a clutch works, it can't actually make you miss a shift.... Lol.

If it's making it into gear and then clunking out, the keys or the syncros aren't getting the complete gear change off. If it's locking you out of the gear, it's either the hydraulics or you didn't use the correct spacers with the install(if it even required any, certain clutches do, certain don't).

Cheers.
Its just locking out. The theory Im at so far is the pressure plate is to much for our hydraulics. I bleed the hell out of it again this weekend , but ive got to wait till the roads dry up to test it out again. From what Ive gatherd theres a few guys between this forum and the cadi forum that had the smae issue with their spec kits as well.

im hoping its fixed now after bleeding . Im tired of deeling with this ****.

Quick Reply: Raced a 28psi cammed EVO.