Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

My sub won't work!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My sub won't work!

Okay so I put in a JL 10" in a stealth box in my car, I have a JVC KD-S36 Head unit and only for temporary a Memphis audio 210 watt amp.

The green light is on on the amp saying it has power and remote, I checked power at the positive side of the amp, checked to make sure I have power from remote and a good ground. It all checked out good. When I check power to the speaker with RCA's connected its about 17 volts with the RCA's disconneted its about 15 so my RCA's are working also. I'm just not getting any sound!

I hooked up this sub to my buddies amp to test it because I bought it used and it does work. I also tried hooking his amp up to the speaker as well in my car and still nothing.

Also when I plug/unplug the RCA's the sub will thump.

Any ideas?!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nobody??
Old 03-13-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well if you tested the sub out and it still works on someone elses car, then you know you can say its something in your wiring. is your sub box wired correctly? maybe a solder joint came undone. Also, test the amp with other speakers, to see if you have sound. Also, double check your RCAs, and make sure they are connected properly to your head unit. Also check if your head unit has a feature to turn the sub output on and off. My head unit can either turn the rear speakers as "subs" or the sub out put as "subs". i can also turn my sub off completely. Just some rough ideas and good places to start since you know for a fact you have power and signal going to your amp.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I took the sub out of the box connections are good, and the sub is turned on on the head unit I also pulled it out and checked the connections.

It's like it isn't getting a signal
Old 03-13-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

Check your ground from the amp and make sure its grounded properly? Go over all the wires that go to the amp and make sure they're properly attached and whatnot. If it was signal issues I'd go back over the RCA's and remote all the way to the HU.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check for signal with a DMM or just grab another set of rca's plug them into your sub preout and throw them across the seat and plug them straight into the amp. If it still doesn't play I would wiggle the inputs lightly and see if they feel loose at all, sometimes they can come loose from the board and have to be soldered back on. Sll this assuming you're getting 12v on power and remote. Which memphis amp do you have? (P/N)
Old 03-13-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

it sounds stupid, but it soudns liek your remote came undone, or maybe the remote is connected to the wrong wire on your head unit? besides what TZ said above, i dont know what else to check
Old 03-14-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

It was a set of bad RCA cables!
Old 03-14-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

nice, glad you got it figured out. its always the simple things with stereos.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:15 AM

I have the same head unit and have the same situation as well. The amp (Hifonics HFI 2500D) Is powered on and ive got it hooked up to my Kickers CVX 15's. I tried replacing the RCA cables and that didn't help. It does pop when i plug in the cables so I know The subs are responsive and wired still. Any Ideas what might be wrong?
Old 01-13-2011, 02:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by trapmaster46
I have the same head unit and have the same situation as well. The amp (Hifonics HFI 2500D) Is powered on and ive got it hooked up to my Kickers CVX 15's. I tried replacing the RCA cables and that didn't help. It does pop when i plug in the cables so I know The subs are responsive and wired still. Any Ideas what might be wrong?
ground!!!!! or speakers!!!
Old 03-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

my subs are doing EXACTLY as you described but my RCA's are fairly new could they go bad that quick?

Quick Reply: My sub won't work!