New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General questions about GM motors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default General questions about GM motors?

All right guys i'm in the market for a camaro or trans am.

I don't know much about either.

i know 99 to 02 camaro ss have ls1 and a 6 speed.

I know ss are z28 with body package i think

trans am's are special fire bird and the ws6 is like the ss is to z28?

As far as motors what are there generation wise? I have been told to stay away from lt1 i herd cost more to get them fast as the ls1

Have seen some trans am's with a 6.0L motor? What is this?

Currently looking at 2000 camaro ss w/ 9'' rear end, vintactor cam, built t56, car also has a bunch of suspension mods, and gmbh i think exaust, motor has about 60000 miles and body has 120000 miles.
Car was pretty bad. Fastet car i have ever been in. sounded awesome
Old 03-15-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brizzle815

1.I don't know much about either.

2.i know 99 to 02 camaro ss have ls1 and a 6 speed.

3.I know ss are z28 with body package i think

4.trans am's are special fire bird and the ws6 is like the ss is to z28?

5.As far as motors what are there generation wise? I have been told to stay away from lt1 i herd cost more to get them fast as the ls1

6.Have seen some trans am's with a 6.0L motor? What is this?

Currently looking at 2000 camaro ss w/ 9'' rear end, vintactor cam, built t56, car also has a bunch of suspension mods, and gmbh i think exaust, motor has about 60000 miles and body has 120000 miles.
1. there is a search function.

2. 98-02 is the year with ls1 and they can have an A4 or M6.

3. I think the SS were modified Z28's. work was done by a company called SLP...I think...don't quote me on this.

4. Thats a good way to compare them.

5. 93-97 were lt1s. 98-02 were ls1s. If you're looking to go fast ls1 is the way to go. However, keep in mind that just cuz its an lt1 does not mean slow by any means.

6. I think you may be talking about some kind of 2nd Gen trans am.

I think what you mean by gmhb is gmmg. that is one of the best sounding exhuasts in my opinion. How much for the car ur looking at?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Ls1 are in a 98-02 Camaro or Trans ams.
Lt1's are in a 93-97 Camaro or trans ams.
I'd reccomend getting a m6 but others may disagree.
The car your looking at "sounds" like the guy knew what he was building. 9'' rear end is a big step up from the 10 bolt and GMMG is a good exhaust.
Do some research and you should be able to find anything you need to know on this site. Someone on here should be able to answer any question you have. PM me if I can help you out and welcome to the site.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know much about either.

i know 99 to 02 camaro ss have ls1 and a 6 speed.

I know ss are z28 with body package i think

trans am's are special fire bird and the ws6 is like the ss is to z28?

As far as motors what are there generation wise? I have been told to stay away from lt1 i herd cost more to get them fast as the ls1

Have seen some trans am's with a 6.0L motor? What is this?

1. What do you want to know other than what's outlined below?

2. '98-'02 Camaros and Firebirds have the LS1. '93-'97 have the LT1.

3. The SS is the top model for the Camaros in the year range of '96-'02. All of them have the ram-air induction hood and the more aggressive, curved SS spoiler on the rear. Most have slightly upgraded suspension components and of course the SS badging, as well as some type of wheel package (not all). One important part of the Z28/SS differences is that the SS model was the only one eligible for additional SLP content, such as a dual-dual or center mount exhaust, high flow air lids, further upgraded suspension, high performance differentials, and a plethora of other options to include accessories and performance enhancers.

4. Firebird is the base model, whereas the Firebird Formula is a V8 Firebird. Trans Ams are all V8's, and have a slightly different hood among other small details. WS6 is the appearance package (I believe), to include the famed "WS6 hood". Firehawks are the Trans Ams that were sent to SLP for modification, much like the Camaro SS was. Firehawks are somewhat rare, whereas the Camaro SS is more common. If you're looking at a hierarchical chart of the models with price and GM advertised performance levels as the determining factor on a scale, I believe it would go like this (and somebody correct me if I'm wrong here):

Firebird < Firebird Formula < Trans Am < Formula Trans Am < Trans Am WS6 < Firehawk

Camaro < Camaro RS < Camaro Z28 < Camaro SS < Camaro SS w/ Y2Y SLP modifications < 30th Ann (LT1) and 35th Ann (LS1) Camaro

This is not to say that any of these are better than the other (unless you're comparing the V8's to the V6 base models). Most of the cars that have an LS1 engine perform roughly on par with the rest, so don't let the level at which the car falls on this price chart be a determining factor.

5. I've heard that the LS1 has a slightly better top-end performance than the LT1, in addition to them being a newer engine. It's probably tougher to find an unmolested LT1 since they're getting old, but they're still a great engine. The LS1 is easier to modify, however.

6. The Firebirds and Trans Ams way back in the late sixties and early seventies had the Pontiac 400ci engine. Both the LS1 and LT1 are 5.7L, 346ci and 350ci, respectively.

7. Just because it's the fastest car you've been in might not be an impressive merit on it's own. Perhaps you've owned one vehicle in your lifetime, and it was a Smart Car for all I know. Me, I tend to stay clear of heavily modified cars because of their deviation from ease of repair and general reliability. You don't know the exact history of the parts or components and thus, will have a harder time working on the vehicle. If you're a heavy minded gear head, however, this may not bother you. Just know that the resale value will always be less on a vehicle that's been through heart surgery and has had its stomach pumped.

Last edited by The Bronx Bull; 03-20-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Bronx Bull knows what he's talking about. Listen to him.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

There are some differences between the F Body LSI engines. The experts here can explain them. I would try to get an '01 or '02 F body instead of the earlier versions, mainly for the LS6 intake.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe all formulas were V8s (LS1 engine), same as the Trans Am but with the firebird (v6) bumper and spoiler. And also you could get the Formula with the WS6 package.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

formulas also have the firebird back bumper, side skirts, and hood.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do know that the 241's on the 01 and 02 were better than the other years. they just flowed better, they had the ls6 intake but the cam wasn't as aggressive....I read that last part somewhere a while back.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

I think the car also has a ls6 intake.

As far as previous cars i've owned never really had bad sports car. The 05 cummins i owned was probally the baddest.

I'm just wondering if i'm bitting off more than i can chew. Not a gear head by no means only now the basic stuff:
brakes, plugs, alternators nothing to major.

Car wont be my daily driver. Would like to drive it as often as i can other than rain or snow.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think the car also has a ls6 intake.

As far as previous cars i've owned never really had bad sports car. The 05 cummins i owned was probally the baddest.

I'm just wondering if i'm bitting off more than i can chew. Not a gear head by no means only now the basic stuff:
brakes, plugs, alternators nothing to major.

Car wont be my daily driver. Would like to drive it as often as i can other than rain or snow.
I'm of the opinion that if you're not at least a moderate-gearhead, then you would be biting off more than you can chew in reference to that heavily modified 2000 SS.

As for your cars previously owned, I'm assuming that by "bad," you mean "aggressive." If you've never driven an LS powered sports car before, it may be more power than you're used to; this is not necessarily a bad thing. Just be careful brother.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:31 AM
On The Tree

Thanks bronx bull.

Yes by bad i mean aggresive. That truck i could hammer on and spin on dry pavement with terra graplers.

In your opinion have seen ls1 virgins start off with to much?

Should some one in my postion try to start off with some thing stock and work my way up?

Car has alot of power and i know it would take some time to get use too(especially the cam killed it first time i try to take off) but it doesn't neccesarly mean i have to use it right( the power that is)?

Talking about prevous cars as far as power is concerned the dodge ran hand and hand with a ford lightning. Really and truthfully i would like to find a car that ran like these two trucks and i could have room to modify in future. Gradually get to high 12's. No faster.

What turn me on about this camaro i'm looking at is the owner pretty much has said its bullet proof with the current mods. I know no car is bullet proof. but with the rear end and tranny and the low miles on motor it thought it would be a good car to start off with.