Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carb intake and map sensor ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default carb intake and map sensor ideas?

anyone got ideas on what style map sensor i could use? i;m using a l92 vic jr intake and a msd 6010 box. i have the old lq4 intake but i'm not sure what sensor is the map or if i can make it work? the vic jr has 2 vaccum ports on it one larger then the other, i f you look in the below picture you can see the ports.... also not to be picky but i'm trying to keep this build clean so looking for ideas that look good as well....lol
Attached Thumbnails carb intake and map sensor ideas?-3641.jpg  
Old 03-18-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can use an LS1 sensor. It will have the rubber gromet on it when you get it, but that pulls off and a vacuum line will go on it then. Get an adapter from 1/8" pipe thread to the needed size for the vacuum line and screw it in just below the where the carb sits.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

anyone got a close up pic??
Old 03-19-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any MAP sensor that fits the MSD harness will work. I grabbed one off a 3.8L Pontiac V6, so not hard to find. The pick and pull didn't even charge me for it.

Your carb should have an unported vacuum port also. Like said above just run a vac line to it anywhere. I hooked the sensor to a small sheet metal tab I hung off the coil pack mount then ran 5 inches of vac line to it.

If you can hook some type of rubber grommet into the side of that intake you can probably just plug the sensor nipple straight into it.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wonder if l could run a vacum line from the intake or carb through the firewall and have the sensor under the dash where i plan to mount the msd?? then i could hide the vac line inside the msd harness...??
Old 03-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mounted mine on the bottom of my intake. i took a brass plug and drilled it out to accept the MAP. I drilled and tapped the underside of the intake to accept the brass fitting.
Attached Thumbnails carb intake and map sensor ideas?-006a.jpg  
Old 03-20-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 68 RS Convertible
I mounted mine on the bottom of my intake. i took a brass plug and drilled it out to accept the MAP. I drilled and tapped the underside of the intake to accept the brass fitting.
I thought about doing that, but was worried that the gasoline that settles in there (and it will) would alter the reading and/or eventually destroy the sensor as they are made for dry airflow...

Here's mine using an old rubber elbow from the spare parts box:

Old 03-20-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Super Victor came with a nice little bracket the the map sensor mounts too then bracket bolts to the rear intake bolt for a nice,clean install.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Slow 346
My Super Victor came with a nice little bracket the the map sensor mounts too then bracket bolts to the rear intake bolt for a nice,clean install.
any pics?? my l92 vic jr intake didnt come with any mounting bracket

Quick Reply: carb intake and map sensor ideas?