Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

iPod connection

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod connection

So I've been looking around the net at connectors, and I keep finding the same thing basically.

USB with a A/V RCA connectors, assuming you're using an iPod touch or Video, what is idea behind the RCA if you have a full speed USB connection? If you just used a regular iPod cable that came from Apple would you lose any features or capabilities?
Old 03-23-2010, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

so you can hook your ipod to stuff w/o usb plug in, but do have rca..
Old 03-23-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so its an either/or connection? I just want to verify weather or not its required to play video off of, or if I can just run strictly USB and have full functionality.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its headunit specific

many aftermarket units use the usb to control and charge the ipod and the av cables for signal
Old 03-23-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

Do u have a stock HU or aftermatket?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

I'm a stereo newbie, so please forgive me, but can you add in an iPod port somehow to work with a factory headunit?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A clarion NZ409, any experience with this guys?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

im not quite sure what you are getting at but if you are askin why it has usb and av connectoins like i posted earlier most headunits use the usb for control and charging and the av for video/audio, this gets around some of the problems associated with DRM
Old 03-23-2010, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

if you have a stock stereo you can get and FM transmitter to play your ipod through an unused station or I think i remember a deal that goes inline with your antenna you can plug into, however i dont remember where to find it.

if you have a rca aux. input save yourself some money by getting a mini stereo jack to rca cord. the cord mentioned above will have no benefit for usb connectivity over the usb cord that came with your ipod.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fosnot
So I've been looking around the net at connectors, and I keep finding the same thing basically.

USB with a A/V RCA connectors, assuming you're using an iPod touch or Video, what is idea behind the RCA if you have a full speed USB connection? If you just used a regular iPod cable that came from Apple would you lose any features or capabilities?
I'm confused here...
Do you want to connect your iPod to
1) stock car HU? or
2) aftermarket HU?

If it's the first option...You need to have the Monsoon HU with the CD Changer connector. Then you'll attach the interface device to the HU CD Changer slot..

http://webhosting.web.com/imagelib/s...g&target=_self

This cable connector is specific to HU or High Definition LED or LCD monitor TV.....seems so to me.

Some expert will light our path

dochidalgo

Last edited by dochidalgo; 03-23-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dochidalgo
I'm confused here...
Do you want to connect your iPod to
1) stock car HU? or
2) aftermarket HU?

If it's the first option...You need to have the Monsoon HU with the CD Changer connector. Then you'll attach the interface device to the HU CD Changer slot..

http://webhosting.web.com/imagelib/s...g&target=_self

This cable connector is specific to HU or High Definition LED or LCD monitor TV.....seems so to me.

Some expert will light our path

dochidalgo
No, to a clarion touchscreen. Do I need to use A/V at all or can it strictly be USB?
Old 03-24-2010, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

if thats the recommended cable thats what i woudl use, as i posted earlier there is a reason they want both
Old 03-24-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by trx250r
if you have a stock stereo you can get and FM transmitter to play your ipod through an unused station or I think i remember a deal that goes inline with your antenna you can plug into, however i dont remember where to find it.

if you have a rca aux. input save yourself some money by getting a mini stereo jack to rca cord. the cord mentioned above will have no benefit for usb connectivity over the usb cord that came with your ipod.
I have the FM transmitter and I don't like it. The sounds isn't that good, I have more wiring to deal with (which I tend to wrap around the shifter), and if I go any distance, I have to change the station, and then the transmitter setting. I would be willing to take out the HU, add something to it, and put it back in for an ipod connection if it were easy and fairly cheap.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Regular

Edit:
Old 03-24-2010, 10:14 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
I have the FM transmitter and I don't like it. The sounds isn't that good, I have more wiring to deal with (which I tend to wrap around the shifter), and if I go any distance, I have to change the station, and then the transmitter setting. I would be willing to take out the HU, add something to it, and put it back in for an ipod connection if it were easy and fairly cheap.
yesterday I put an iSimple iPod adapter in my GFs corolla. it plugs into the cd changer port in the back of the factory radio and has one cable that goes to your iPod. simple to install, works great, and the install is so clean that she drove the car last night and still doesn't know its there. its a surprise for her tomorrow. they make one specific for the fbody. the only thing you give up is your existing (if you have it) cd changer, but to gain ipod usage would be worth it to most people. your radio cd controls, and steering wheel controls (if you have them) work the ipod as if it was a cd changer. you can still use the ipod controls as well. it also charges your ipod when connected. google isimple.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its not a factory radio, I just need to know so that I can fab up a custom USB port in the center console, or if I'll just need the cable and be done with it. Not really looking for alternative methods of transfer, just strictly if the AV cables are required for it?
I know someone in here has got to know..
Old 03-25-2010, 05:41 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Its not a factory radio, I just need to know so that I can fab up a custom USB port in the center console, or if I'll just need the cable and be done with it. Not really looking for alternative methods of transfer, just strictly if the AV cables are required for it?
my response was intended for 01 ss vert, thats why his post was quoted. my suggestion seems to be exactly what he's looking for, and probably good info for other readers on this topic.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

i posted this 2x already basically but yes you need the av, otherwise u wont have sound just controls and charging
Old 03-25-2010, 06:01 AM
TECH Addict

Here's my write up:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...l#post10427952
Old 03-25-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
i posted this 2x already basically but yes you need the av, otherwise u wont have sound just controls and charging
Alright, the only thing that comes to mind now.. is this still true despite the advertising that you can plug a flash drive into the USB port to play music?

What about the possibility of connecting a USB hub to the end of that connection, would the HU lock up or reject the setup, as long as you only ran 1 port at a time?