Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

first time at the track with the v

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default first time at the track with the v

and im happy to be able to drive it away.
my best runs were 13.8@103 w/2.2 60, and a 13.9@105 w/2.4 60ft.
my 2 other runs were both 14.4 with a 2.7 and a 2.9 60ft.
i thought the rear was gonna fall off on those 2 runs!

clutch,gforce axles,vrx5 cam and headers are wuts next on the list.
hopefully i can squeeze into the 12s with those mods.
i miss my vette!
Old 03-24-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Congrats on not breaking the diff! lol

What the fastest these things will run bone stock?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

kinda suprised the 2.2 60' pass wasnt better e.t. wise.....your mph seems low.

i went 13.6 @ 108 with a 2.29 60'. all of my trap speeds were 106 and above and we had the same mods(when i ran those times). Im hoping for 13.3s since i had it dynotuned and mid 12s on spray at 116-118.

for the 2.9 60' did you start in 3rd gear lol, dont get frustrated definetly takes seat time to get comfortable.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jice.. keep it up bro! You'll drop your times for sure
Old 03-25-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by santiago
and im happy to be able to drive it away.
my best runs were 13.8@103 w/2.2 60, and a 13.9@105 w/2.4 60ft.
my 2 other runs were both 14.4 with a 2.7 and a 2.9 60ft.
i thought the rear was gonna fall off on those 2 runs!

clutch,gforce axles,vrx5 cam and headers are wuts next on the list.
hopefully i can squeeze into the 12s with those mods.
i miss my vette!
Dude, you went to the wrong kind of track... haven't you heard, V1s are just about the shitiest drag cars around...they were made for handling, you know, being developed and extensively tested on the Nurburgring. Take the car to a roadcourse and really see her shine, your enjoyment of the car will go up a hundred-fold.

All these people who are trying to make a V1 into a drag car are just setting themselves, and the car, up for an epic failure. Sorry about the rant, but I just want all the V drag racers out there to consider this:

You wouldn't take a fast turbo-diesel truck to the handling course and expect it to do well because it is fast, would you? So why does everybody take their CTS-V1 to the drag strip and expect good times when that completely goes against the mindset behind the whole design of the car?

I am not saying to never try the 1/4-mile once in awhile for fun, but definitely don't expect good times or an intact differential after the run. Yes, the aftermarket axles will help tremendously, but any previous abuse the diff has take prior to installation of the axles will not magically go away, there still could be failures until everybody has a fresh Gen 3 style diff and the axles together.

I just want you to know that I'm not trying to rag on you, but I have been an outspoken proponent of roadcourse activities for CTS-V owners, over dragging for a long time. An example is VDay every year that Lindsay Cadillac puts on, everybody does a full day of lapping on a roadcourse and has a blast, there is a reason why there is no drag strip component to the activities.

Last edited by tweeter81; 03-25-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good effort, times will get better, start looking into tire air pressures, fast mods, different launches, etc... best thing is that you drove her home, as:

13.8 and pulling her safely into driveway > 13.4 and loading her onto flatbed
Old 03-25-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tweeter81
Dude, you went to the wrong kind of track... haven't you heard, V1s are just about the shitiest drag cars around...they were made for handling, you know, being developed and extensively tested on the Nurburgring. Take the car to a roadcourse and really see her shine, your enjoyment of the car will go up a hundred-fold.

All these people who are trying to make a V1 into a drag car are just setting themselves, and the car, up for an epic failure. Sorry about the rant, but I just want all the V drag racers out there to consider this:

You wouldn't take a fast turbo-diesel truck to the handling course and expect it to do well because it is fast, would you? So why does everybody take their CTS-V1 to the drag strip and expect good times when that completely goes against the mindset behind the whole design of the car?

I am not saying to never try the 1/4-mile once in awhile for fun, but definitely don't expect good times or an intact differential after the run. Yes, the aftermarket axles will help tremendously, but any previous abuse the diff has take prior to installation of the axles will not magically go away, there still could be failures until everybody has a fresh Gen 3 style diff and the axles together.

I just want you to know that I'm not trying to rag on you, but I have been an outspoken proponent of roadcourse activities for CTS-V owners, over dragging for a long time. An example is VDay every year that Lindsay Cadillac puts on, everybody does a full day of lapping on a roadcourse and has a blast, there is a reason why there is no drag strip component to the activities.
ok man,
as for the 2.9 60 ft i brang the rpm up a lil bit before the launch and wen i took off the rear was fricken bouning all over the place so i let off and then went haha

it was pretty windy over at infineon maybe thaats why i ran low traps i dont know
Old 03-25-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Tweeter, maybe some people like a challenge and dont have a road course within 4 hrs of there home. I prefer drag racing over road racing but ive never road raced so I may love it. I do feel like road courses abuse the car WAY more then the drag strip as long as your not dumping the clutch at 5k rpm. I like to challenge myself at launching the car and see what I can do. I know and have said it many times that the V is not a drag car but if it makes you happy why not? I dont go as much for e.t. as I do trap speed because thats where you can use it when you mess around on the street.

to the OP, i suggest a dyno tune even with your mods.....i gained 33rwhp from just a dyno tune with your exact mods. Def feel it in the seat of the pants.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Id like to try both. I have both tracks within 45 mins distance from me...

And onebadcad... thats so true! lol
Old 03-25-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Tweeter, maybe some people like a challenge and dont have a road course within 4 hrs of there home. I prefer drag racing over road racing but ive never road raced so I may love it. I do feel like road courses abuse the car WAY more then the drag strip as long as your not dumping the clutch at 5k rpm. I like to challenge myself at launching the car and see what I can do. I know and have said it many times that the V is not a drag car but if it makes you happy why not? I dont go as much for e.t. as I do trap speed because thats where you can use it when you mess around on the street.

to the OP, i suggest a dyno tune even with your mods.....i gained 33rwhp from just a dyno tune with your exact mods. Def feel it in the seat of the pants.
Hey, no worries. Although I would be surprised that if you live anywhere in the lower 48, that you would be farther than 4 hours from at least one roadcourse. I don't know...

As for not having had a chance to try it, once you do, I bet you will never go back. The chance to test every aspect of the car around a 2+ mile course that takes anywhere from 1:30 to 2:30 to complete a lap is a huge rush compared to just mashing the pedal (and shifting 3 times) down a quarter-mile straight for 14 seconds, just my opinion. I like all autosports, so I definitely don't see anything bad with doing whatever you feel the need to do in your car.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

i found summit point which is a little under 4 hours from me. I definetly wanna try it but i read all these stories of having to change PS fluid, clutch fluid, diff fluid all kinds of stuff. My car is a daily driver and its just not feasible. I love taking it down the twisty roads but beating on it at a track day for 2 hrs after driving 4 to get there and 4 back is just too hard on a daily driver IMO.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Mine is bone stock performance wise. After 2 horrible runs at E-town (both 14s) I went to Atco with a bunch of friends. Third run in was my fastest. 13.36 @107. Trapped a 2.20 Sixty with a 8.77 @85.14 at half track(1/8th mile). The trick is baby the clutch for the first 30-60 feet depending on how fast you can feather it out. It takes getting used to. Then keep an eye on revs and bring her right to the 6500 rpm rev limit then shift. Thats all I did and ran low 13s the rest of the night. Dont worry about cutting a good light. Just concentrate on the wheel hop. I had my tires at around 22-24 PSI. I was shocked when I got the slip from the girl at the timing both. I was so used to seeing 13.7-13.9. Practice makes perfect I guess.

Last edited by hXc95SLS; 03-29-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:26 AM
Staging Lane

SANTIAGO

cant wait till we go next wed.... your caddys gonna get mopped by my bucket F-body
Old 04-03-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cobras_Rule
SANTIAGO

cant wait till we go next wed.... your caddys gonna get mopped by my bucket F-body
haha wutever it is you do to your car i will always own you!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by santiago
haha wutever it is you do to your car i will always own you!!!!!!!!!
lol
we will see on wed
Old 04-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by itsslow98
i found summit point which is a little under 4 hours from me. I definetly wanna try it but i read all these stories of having to change PS fluid, clutch fluid, diff fluid all kinds of stuff. My car is a daily driver and its just not feasible. I love taking it down the twisty roads but beating on it at a track day for 2 hrs after driving 4 to get there and 4 back is just too hard on a daily driver IMO.
What about a road course is tough on your V? The reason that you make sure the fluids are fresh is because the ogres at the strip are used to cleaning up blown diffs and trans.

I road coursed my V more at far away tracks than I seem to do in my area of the country. I've done days at Grattan, Putnam Park, Summit Point and a weekend at VIR. Load up the V with tools and tires and pads and drive away. Have a day or two of fun(lasting more than a ghey 13, or so, seconds) and then drive home.

My V has seen quite a number of autocrosses and road courses and has never broken a thing. 61k miles on the original transmission and clutch. Never a blown diff. And since I run track rubber and pads, all my wear is a non-issue.

One night at the strip and blew up my diff.

The strip is harder on the V because of the extreme launching. That will do more to your V than a road course ever will.

Quick Reply: first time at the track with the v