Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cyber Mechanics please chime in.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cyber Mechanics please chime in.

the 98 Z with the TREX in my sig has always had lower than stock oil pressure since the cam install. The car feels strong very strong. The borla is so loud that I can not hear if its a rocker off or not.
The car when I first start out has decent pressure but after a few miles of driving it falls below that quarter mark. After a few more miles it goes super low. If I leave it below 15-1700 RPMs at 1000 it will go flat and cut the car off. EFI live nor HPTuners show any knock the only other thing I see is that the temp is a litle high it rests at 192 all day instead of around 180. I moved this engine to another body here recently and had an UD pulley and Fast 90/90 combo added.
So far 3 people said it was the pump failing or the pickup ring has collapsed or is damaged. 1 just told me that it has to be the bearings. He says that the pump wont fail and that normally if it were the pump and I stared with good pressure after accellerating past 2000RPMs or so that the pressure would actually fall back. I drove the car on a 2hr drive on the interstate and had good oil pressure and no problems. I currently have the car set to hardly ever fall below 1800.

I did purchase a new pump. I will TRY to pull the valve covers and check the rocker arms tomorrow. I can swap the pump but cant in my neigborhood. so i am calling shops around Charlotte for a quote.

No oil leaking no abnormal oil burning that I can see so far.

Any comments welcome.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Teching In

usually with a cam install guys will install a new ported oil pump or an ls6 oil pump. These will raise your pressure. I dont know if that is the problem, that a stock cant produce enough.... but since you're going to change it anyway get an upgraded pump.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did. it should be here tomorrow. The puzzle is where it has run well but low NOT AS LOW AS NOW like that for a long time. Between that and my temp sitting at 192 has me a little worried. Hopefully by next week the pump and the rocker arms will be all covered. Im also going to change the oil to see what I can see in the oil. Hopefully its still just brown with no metal flakes. Most of all hopefully my pressure will be back to normal.

Originally Posted by jimih941
usually with a cam install guys will install a new ported oil pump or an ls6 oil pump. These will raise your pressure. I dont know if that is the problem, that a stock cant produce enough.... but since you're going to change it anyway get an upgraded pump.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Teching In

If you are gonna look at the oil for any signs of metal you better cut open your filter and have a look at that.You will have a better chance of seeing something in the filter than the oil,unless you have had a catostrophic failure.Just in case you do not know use a filter cutter if you do.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem. I had a cam kit installed. I drove the car for about 800 miles and didnt really get on it real hard. i raced the car about 3 times from 0-90 mph and this morning when i went to start it i drove for about 5 miles and the pressure went down really low. before at idle it was at about 40 or 38 when hot. and now its like at 20 totally different than before. i have no idea what could have happen. Any other ideas. I guess i could try and put a new oil pump first. but what if that is not it??
Old 03-27-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ill keep the post updated. Hopefully the pickup ring calapsed or it is the pump. In my case it could be a rocker because the car is so loud I cant tell for sure but that too will be checked.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

put the car on a pretty level parking spot and check the oil level with the engine off. then check the oil with the engine running. if the level doesnt drop like normal, then i'd be willing to bet the oil pickup o-ring did not seat properly.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Verify your PSI reading with a mechanical gauge. Factory gauges aren't accurate. Also, why are you so concerned with a 192 temp. These cars run 230 in the summer and thats how the factory designed them to run. 190 isnt hurting anything.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A mechanic just told me the same thing. 10 minutes ago about the guage. I was thinking it was 180 unless you had a 160 thermostat.

I dont think its the guage because when it goes really low the few times it has. The car cuts off instantly. The car runs strong so im not worried at the moment anymore.

Do you think the oil pressure sending unit could be broken? In a little bit I plan on reaching back there to see if it snapped when the 90/90 was installed.

I broke one on my SS in 01 when upgrading to an LS6 intake.

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Verify your PSI reading with a mechanical gauge. Factory gauges aren't accurate. Also, why are you so concerned with a 192 temp. These cars run 230 in the summer and thats how the factory designed them to run. 190 isnt hurting anything.