New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Headers need some experienced drivers to give me some tips.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Headers need some experienced drivers to give me some tips.

My birthday is coming up in a month or so and I am looking into purchasing a set of ceramic coated pacesetter headers from Texas Speed. I have read the stickies on most of the stuff im getting into, but I have a few questions.

Before I break this down the most important thing I need to let you guys know is I am not going to be a drag car. This is simply a daily driver that i would like to put a little more "get up and go" into.
Texas-Speed offers 2 different package deals...

Off Road Y-pipe with coated pacesetters
and
Catted-Y pipe with coated pacesetters...

Both of these setups have the option for an EGR or not as well.

1.) First question, Is an off-road y-pipe illegal in texas? I take it from the name it most likely is but I see most members on this forum use it.

2.) What the hell is the EGR and would I need it what are the consequences for having it or not?

3.) Lastly, obviously this purchase is going to be costly but in the long run what am I looking at? I don't want to buy this and it ending up being a pain in the *** both financially and mechanically. Also is there anything else that I am not looking at that is usually needed to adding headers that is not including in these packages?

If there are any cons to adding headers please share.

And I hope the seat of the pants feel is increased a good amount with these

Thanks for your time.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

1.) off road y-pipes are illegal in all 50 states. Can you get away with running them? Yes if you dont have to get an inspection or emissions

2.) EGR is Exhaust Gas ReCirculation. You can delete it all if you dont have emissions inspection in your area.

3.) Headers arn't that difficult to install yourself if you have any mechanical experience and shouldn't cost you any more money than just the Headers, y-pipe, and O2 sensor extensions. If your car is lowered you will suffer ground clearance with headers though.

You will get an increase in power and will feel more if you add a lid, catback, and a good tune. Headers are probably one of the best upgrades you can do bang for the buck.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99345hp
1.) off road y-pipes are illegal in all 50 states. Can you get away with running them? Yes if you dont have to get an inspection or emissions

2.) EGR is Exhaust Gas ReCirculation. You can delete it all if you dont have emissions inspection in your area.

3.) Headers arn't that difficult to install yourself if you have any mechanical experience and shouldn't cost you any more money than just the Headers, y-pipe, and O2 sensor extensions. If your car is lowered you will suffer ground clearance with headers though.

You will get an increase in power and will feel more if you add a lid, catback, and a good tune. Headers are probably one of the best upgrades you can do bang for the buck.
Thanks that helped me alot. I do actually have a lid and a Flowmaster catback system. I also had a electric cutout installed to make up for the poor flow in the Flowmaster.

Would the catted y-pipe make any differences in power or sound? I gather that there must be a difference otherwise they wouldn't make them. Will I be losing alot without using the ORY? Its sounding like that ORY won't be an option since I do have to get emission inspections.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You dont have egr on your car since its an 01 so order the race style headers, also the catted y will be less raspy but other than that theyre pretty much the same. There shouldnt be any noticeable power loss between the two.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redbird555
You dont have egr on your car since its an 01 so order the race style headers, also the catted y will be less raspy but other than that theyre pretty much the same. There shouldnt be any noticeable power loss between the two.
If it has less rasp and it passes emissions and no power loss, why do most people on the form go with ORY? I'm not saying your wrong im just curious.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2002, no egr, I had the air system removed as well.

Here's a clip of my setup on this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...magnaflow.html

Same headers as you are wanting, with the TSP ORY, magnaflow, not too much rasp at all.

You'll just need someone to tune out the rear o2 sensors and air system if you plan on getting race style headers.

I also recommend butt style band clamps or v-band clamps for the merge to headers/y-pipe.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mischief
I have a 2002, no egr, I had the air system removed as well.

Here's a clip of my setup on this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...magnaflow.html

Same headers as you are wanting, with the TSP ORY, magnaflow, not too much rasp at all.

You'll just need someone to tune out the rear o2 sensors and air system if you plan on getting race style headers.

I also recommend butt style band clamps or v-band clamps for the merge to headers/y-pipe.
As far as tuning out the rear o2 sensors and air system how exactly is that done and where can i get it done?
Also did you install these yourself or have it done by a shop?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:45 AM
10 Second Club

Agree with allot of the above statements but you have to remember 1 thing. Anytime you are putting more air into the engine you must also put more fuel. Be sure to get a tune even if it is a off the shelf tune. This will stop you from running the car on the lean and possibly causing some damage in the future.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:48 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,280 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Koastie57
If it has less rasp and it passes emissions and no power loss, why do most people on the form go with ORY? I'm not saying your wrong im just curious.
Because there is a slight power loss with cats (even on a stock car), and the power loss becomes greater the more mods that you do (heads/cam, forced induction, etc.), and cats cost extra money and add weight, all with zero performance benefit. Not to mention, many people do add a decent sized cam later and cats don't last as long behind cams with lots of overlap (much more fuel being dumped than they were designed to deal with).

Most of us don't have visual inspections or sniff tests any more (OBD scan only for '96+ cars in many states), so all you need is custom tuning or O2 sims to beat the emissions test and you're set.

Personally, I would not put cats on a car when doing headers unless I had a visual inspection or a sniff test. If you are concerned about rasp (vaild concern with a Flowmaster crossflow muffler), I'd just put a long bullet muffler in the I-pipe or two short ones in the Y-pipe (where the cats would go). This will take care of rasp without costing you any power and will be cheaper than cats.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

it depends on what type of emissions tests you have, because if you have a visual inspection some places wont pass your car if it has long tubes on it at all. Cats or not wont matter, just the fact of having long tubes will fail. Might want to look into that before you purchase.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have an ORY and we have emissions testing here in IL. I actually need to go get it tested now, but I guarentee you I will pass. It is very easy so pass the emissions test as any person that can tune your car can delete the codes that would set off from having no cats. Same for the AIR or EGR systems. Any performance shop in texas will be able to help you, im sure there is tons of them. Try posting in the regional section in this forum asking for a local lsx performance shop. https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members-54/

As far as sound and rasp, I am a firm believer that you need a good y-pipe merge to reduce rasp. I highly recommend a good merge y-pipe, or make a custom one like I did using a flowmaster merge.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:12 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,280 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by udienow
I have an ORY and we have emissions testing here in IL. I actually need to go get it tested now, but I guarentee you I will pass. It is very easy so pass the emissions test as any person that can tune your car can delete the codes that would set off from having no cats.
This is all dependant on what type of test he has. Not all states are as easy as we have it in IL.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

i helped my friend do it it helped to have a lift but possible on jack stands probly a all day job... id offer to help since i got family in league city but..... im in iraq
Old 04-01-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This is all dependant on what type of test he has. Not all states are as easy as we have it in IL.
True, I think CA is really the only place with very strict emissions though.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Are you in the same county as Houston? If so you will have an emissions test but as already said, passing that is in the tuning. No codes or more than 1 "not ready" and you are good to go. Most inspection places will not bother with a visual. I have "race" headers (but do have cats) and pass 100% in Collin/Dallas county. I did not go ORY because of wanting to hold down the sound and not smell gas. I doubt I'm loosing more than 5hp.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

All who have posted have some wonderful advice, but I have yet to see anyone mention Poly Motor Mounts.

When you install LT's and a Catted or ORY, you should really consider upgrading your motor mounts to either polys or solids.

First of all, the motor mounts on our 4th Gen F-body's are a ********** to get to, but with the exhaust manifolds off the car they are infinitely more accessable. Since you will be removing the manifolds to replace them with headers, they will be out of the way and now is the time to upgrade your mounts.

Secondly, the factory rubber bushings in your original mounts will flex much more (especially if they have some age to them) and possibly cause your new Y-pipe to bang on the floorpan when you punch the gas. Nobody wants a bangin' Y-pipe.

Third, not everyone has trouble with the factory mounts flexing enough to have the exhaust hit the underside of their car, so its a craps shoot. But know this: if you decide not to upgrade your mounts and your Y-pipe does end up hitting the floor pan, you will pretty much have to undo your complete header install, do the mounts and then reinstall your headers and remaining exhaust.

Myself, I like to do things once. I've been a part of three LT installs. Each time we upgraded to a set of Prothane Poly Motor Mounts and each time we've never had any trouble with bangin' exhaust.

Installing the mounts is royal pain in the ***, but you should definitely consider doing this while doing your header install. You won't regret doing it once its done. I strongly recommend it.

Good luck, man.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

i have a friends who did the poly motor mounts and he told me that his car vibrates ALOT more than it use to... i have poly motor mounts on my old car and with them its like getting into a large vibrator! just saying not that i havent thought of using them... on the banging y pipe issue ws6store has a mount for ur y pipe that ive used and works very well.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 96RamAirTA
i have a friends who did the poly motor mounts and he told me that his car vibrates ALOT more than it use to... i have poly motor mounts on my old car and with them its like getting into a large vibrator! just saying not that i havent thought of using them...
I can't tell a bit of difference between the factory mounts and the Prothane Polys. I suggest your friend upgrade to the same, maybe the vibrations will disappear.

Originally Posted by 96RamAirTA
on the banging y pipe issue ws6store has a mount for ur y pipe that ive used and works very well.
So instead of fixing the flexing, you'd rather have the vibration of the exhaust translated into the vehicle via an exhaust mount bolted to the body?

The Clamp/Mount setups are a remedy at best. Upgraded Motor Mounts are the solution to the problem.

Please don't think I'm trying to tell you how you have to setup your car. Obviously its your's to do with as you please. I'm just trying to save the O.P. and anybody else the headache of having their newly installed exhaust slamming the floorpan when they get on it.

I hate the feeling you get when your new upgrade has now caused another problem that will need to be taken care of. Takes the wind right outta your sails.

Also, the fact that in order to fix the banging properly, you will need to remove your newly installed headers so you can get to the mounts. Talk about frustrating.

I've read on here that doing motor mounts on a 4th Gen F-body is the toughest thing you'll ever have to do to one of these cars. But once you've got that under your belt, everything else is supposed to be a breeze. Why not do and get it over with?

Anyways, thats my $.02.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like ORY because its cheaper.. and personally idgaf about cats. Just find someone you know to pass you or go to someone who doesn't care much if you have a cat or not. It is louder, and if anything it's like a 1hp increase over a catted Y.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:50 AM
TECH Regular

well i understand where ur coming from and ya it really does suck having your exhaust bang on the floor board all the time. i was just stating that they make those clamps but like you said its his choice.