Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

'05 V - feels like warped rotors - but all new brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '05 V - feels like warped rotors - but all new brakes!

This started as what I thought were warped brake rotors. When I hit the brakes, the steeringwheel would start to shake like they were warped. I had new brakes put on. All GM parts, new rotors and pads. Problem is still there. Anyone have any clue?!

the only thing i can think of is tie rods or ball joints. But even then, something has to be making it shake?!
Old 04-02-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you had your front tires checked for balance? Are both fron wheels true and straight? Its not unheard of to get brand new rotors that need a very slight cut (turn)
Old 04-02-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

are you calipers freezing up at all? Try lubing them and check your wheel bearings also!

keith
Old 04-02-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

calipers i dont think are freezing and i have changed front tires as well and its still there.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tityrous
are you calipers freezing up at all? Try lubing them and check your wheel bearings also!

keith
i the calipers were freezing youd be getting a slight pull to one side. Had that problem on my jeep.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by itsslow98
i the calipers were freezing youd be getting a slight pull to one side. Had that problem on my jeep.
Not all the time if both sides are freezing up it will pulsate pretty bad but you would smell the brakes and your rotors would be very hot. some vehicles are different this happened to my parents old Mirage...
Old 04-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

I think you rotors need to be turned. Go easy when braking, dont slam on the brakes everytime.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tierod end is my guess.. if they are new rotors and ur problem is still there i highly doubt brembo rotors are out of wack. best way to check is to put the front wheels on a turn table and check for play
Old 04-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Teching In

ya rotors defintely need turned, I have seen warped rotoes right off the shelf from the partshouse
Old 04-04-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn, if it wasn't easter sunday, i'd have them done today!
Old 04-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Instead of guessing just jack up the front end and set it on jackstands on the fr a-arms. With the ball joints loaded like that u can just grab the fr tires and see if they wiggle cuz they shouldn't. But the rotors technically could get warped by zapping the tires on with an impact too tightly. Make sure to not get em too tight just 100ft lbs with a tq wrench.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Did you bed the brake pads? I would try that first...
Old 04-04-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TomJoeC88
Instead of guessing just jack up the front end and set it on jackstands on the fr a-arms. With the ball joints loaded like that u can just grab the fr tires and see if they wiggle cuz they shouldn't. But the rotors technically could get warped by zapping the tires on with an impact too tightly. Make sure to not get em too tight just 100ft lbs with a tq wrench.
I did that yesterday and there was no movement. Which made me think more about the rotors.

Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
Did you bed the brake pads? I would try that first...
What's "bedding" a brake pad?

UPDATE****

I rushed home after easter today - pulled the rotors off, had them turned. The auto parts store said "they were warped but not enough to fix what you're describing" Well I'm hoping they were wrong cause my shimmy is GONE! Not sure if its gone temporarily or i haven't got them hot enough again yet but its certainly not there. Only problem now is they don't seem as grabby but i'm sure they'll be back to normal in no time.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon

Only problem now is they don't seem as grabby but i'm sure they'll be back to normal in no time.
You are kinda answering your own question. You are bedding in some of the brake pad material on the rotor. This would explain why after they turned them they aren't as grabby.

Google it.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

I have a similar issue, but its only when I get on the brakes for the first time at speed...after that it doesnt shimmy for the rest of whatever trip im doing. Mine are probbly due to be turned.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
I have a similar issue, but its only when I get on the brakes for the first time at speed...after that it doesnt shimmy for the rest of whatever trip im doing. Mine are probbly due to be turned.
FYI the V rotors usually cannot be turned due to lack of thickness out of the box. Don't have the specs for you but I do know this is the case.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

good info..thanks
Old 04-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon
I did that yesterday and there was no movement. Which made me think more about the rotors.

UPDATE****

I rushed home after easter today - pulled the rotors off, had them turned. The auto parts store said "they were warped but not enough to fix what you're describing" Well I'm hoping they were wrong cause my shimmy is GONE! Not sure if its gone temporarily or i haven't got them hot enough again yet but its certainly not there. Only problem now is they don't seem as grabby but i'm sure they'll be back to normal in no time.
You may have had them turned for nothing. Or maybe not. Bedding brakes is getting pad material onto the rotor.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=85

Now, as for getting your rotors turned, that's usually a no-no because our rotors are not generally thick enough to safely turn. However, since they were new ad only would need to be turned a small amount, you should be OK. But your rotors life will be a little less...
Old 04-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

I just fixed the same problem you're describing. I took the front rotors to be turned, but they were too thin already. Bought new ones from O'Reillys for $68 ea. The shimmy is gone. No bedding in or anything special.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z06phile
I just fixed the same problem you're describing. I took the front rotors to be turned, but they were too thin already. Bought new ones from O'Reillys for $68 ea. The shimmy is gone. No bedding in or anything special.
bedding in isnt anything special really anyways, but it should be done with every new set of pads/rotors installed.

Quick Reply: '05 V - feels like warped rotors - but all new brakes!