Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Identify there subwoofer wires... pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Identify there subwoofer wires... pics

The person I bought my truck from had a subwoofer in the back under the seat. As far as I know, he only had one woofer and one amp. But I could be wrong because I see two sets of wires here not one.

Can anyone tell me what each of these wires does and if I need them to hook up a single sub and amp? I have a Pioneer DEH-P6800MP receiver.

1 Large red cable: Power, goes directly to battery w/ inline fuse
2 Large black cables: Ground, bolt to body under the carpet
1 Small blue wire: ?
2/2 Small yellow wires: ?
2 Black wires with RCA style connectors: ?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Identify there subwoofer wires... pics-dsc01812.jpg   Identify there subwoofer wires... pics-dsc01816.jpg   Identify there subwoofer wires... pics-dsc01813.jpg  
Old 04-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the blue one is your remote wire and the rcas should be the sub outs from your deck. the yellow wires look like they are the sub out from the amp. that would be my guess cuz thats how ive wired up all my subs in all my cars.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

So does it appear that there were two amps back here or just one?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Yes it appears there were two amps. Since you have two ground wires and two sets of RCA wires.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm the small blue is the Power control of the amp it looks like 2 amps but he might used one only so u rly use one amp if u want to and hide the other cables...
Old 04-06-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks guys. Can anyone provide further info on the yellow wires and and black wires w/ RCA connectors? Do I need both, or one or the other? Thanks.

Last edited by Ferocity02; 04-06-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, here goes...

The RCA's are obviously for the amps. One pair for a sub amp, and one pair for a 2 channel. The yellow wires appear to be the ones that went to the 2 channel, most likely to power the speakers in the front doors. Hard to say without actually checking it out. There are two grounds, cause he obviously had 2 amps. Theres only 1 power cause it most likely went into a distribution block. The blue wire is the remote turn on for the amp. You need to figure out which set of RCAs are for the sub (there IS a difference). Also, are there any speakers that don't work? If so, its cause the he obviously pulled the amp that powered them, but I'm betting he hook them back up to the factory harness, and maybe even put the stock speakers back in.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by squee
Ok, here goes...

The RCA's are obviously for the amps. One pair for a sub amp, and one pair for a 2 channel. The yellow wires appear to be the ones that went to the 2 channel, most likely to power the speakers in the front doors. Hard to say without actually checking it out. There are two grounds, cause he obviously had 2 amps. Theres only 1 power cause it most likely went into a distribution block. The blue wire is the remote turn on for the amp. You need to figure out which set of RCAs are for the sub (there IS a difference). Also, are there any speakers that don't work? If so, its cause the he obviously pulled the amp that powered them, but I'm betting he hook them back up to the factory harness, and maybe even put the stock speakers back in.

exactly..i think u better check everything be4 removing anything jst incase lol
Old 04-07-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by squee
Ok, here goes...

All the speakers are working. I believe all of the door speakers have been upgraded to Alpine hardware.

If I just want to run one amp and one sub, do I only need one of black wires with RCA connectors, and none of the yellow wires?
Old 04-07-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
All the speakers are working. I believe all of the door speakers have been upgraded to Alpine hardware.

If I just want to run one amp and one sub, do I only need one of black wires with RCA connectors, and none of the yellow wires?
Perhaps you should just have a friend install it.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

dude if everything is working fine then u only need RCA,ground ,power and the lil blue wire to hook up an amp...
Old 04-07-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont think he really understands what an amp needs to work properly.
Get an amp and hook just these ones up. anything left over tape it off good and dont just let it hang.
Dissconeect your batt first as not to blow anything. This is for one sub only and one amp.

a + power (usually big red wire comeing from batt going to the amp)
b - ground (usually big black wire going to frame of car going to amp)
c + ignition power (comes from the cd player usually very thin blue with white stripe goes to amp),, this will only send + power only when your cd player is turned on,,, that way it can shut and turn off the amp if its not needed. If you dont know this wire check with a test light when batt is hooked up.
d one pair of rca cables, this is the amps input for the sound (goes from cdplayer to amp)
e two sub wires going from amp to sub (+ & -)

never mind what the old guy did,,, who knows if he new his stuff or if it was right so just double check it for yourself.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks jcurrieta. I'm very good with electronics, but not sub/amp/speakers specifically. What you said makes perfect sense and is what I was expecting. I've never looked at the connections on an amp before. I'll have to see what the two yellow wires go to since they appear to unused at this time.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive bought cars where the remote (switched ignition wire) was hooked up to the cig lighter live so the amp stayed on after you took the key out of the ign and the car wasnt running. so its always good to recheck wires and settings on the amp,,, like bridged and filter switches.