Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

1996 Tahoe???s

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Tahoe???s

Well my Dad Gave me his old 96 Tahoe and I want to do some boltons for the hell of it. Just like Headers,intake, and a catback. How much would this help a Vortec 350? Plus if I wanted to do a cam ( just for more lowend TQ and a choppy idle ) what would be a good size cam to look at? I have Zero knowledge about the Vortec's so please help me!!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Make sure you have a tuner is the area that can get the PCM to make the engine run right, cold air and headers with full exhaust will give it some more grunt, but the cam should be the last mod so you know there is someone that will be able to make it run like it was meant to be in there. The lumpy chop you want will call for a stall converter also, so think about it before you go with a larger cam, there are plenty that are designed to make more torque and a bit more power that will sound a touch heavier than stock and can be easily tuned.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Make sure you have a tuner is the area that can get the PCM to make the engine run right, cold air and headers with full exhaust will give it some more grunt, but the cam should be the last mod so you know there is someone that will be able to make it run like it was meant to be in there. The lumpy chop you want will call for a stall converter also, so think about it before you go with a larger cam, there are plenty that are designed to make more torque and a bit more power that will sound a touch heavier than stock and can be easily tuned.
Thanks, Im thinking about a moderate stall like a 2400 when I can get the trans rebuilt. And as for the cams I really don't know jack about these motors. I know LS1/2 based motors a bit, would a cam like- 212/218 with 450ish lift and 111LSA be a mild cam for a Vortec?. So far I have found Pacesetter 1 5/8s Longtubes with 3 inch collectors, Volant Cai, and a slew of catbacks but I haven;t found any catless Y pipes yet . Im from S.C. so no emisons. I was hoping fran from RaceProvenMotorsports could tune it but It will be awhile before I cam it. Thanks for your help bro, John
Old 04-07-2010, 03:00 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

The cam you mention would probably work awesome, but make sure they have the ability to tune it with that cam, i dont see why not. That stall size would do pretty good, just make sure you get a tight one that will not boil the fluid if you tow anything.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:50 PM
BBC
Teching In

It might be more than you want to spend but I had a two door 96 Tahoe with a procharger that ran great with just the programmer supplied with the kit. If you watch eBay or craigslist you can pick one up for the same amount you will spend with the others. Just a thought!
Old 04-09-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BBC
It might be more than you want to spend but I had a two door 96 Tahoe with a procharger that ran great with just the programmer supplied with the kit. If you watch eBay or craigslist you can pick one up for the same amount you will spend with the others. Just a thought!
Thanks bro, i was hoping to have it dyno tuned/street tuned but I don't even know if HPTuners will work?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Get in touch with Magic Tundra on here. He had a 97 vortec truck with a pretty big cam. 236/ 242 and I can't remember the lift. He had Geoff at EPS tune the truck. It ran well into the 12's on a small shot of spray.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Get in touch with Magic Tundra on here. He had a 97 vortec truck with a pretty big cam. 236/ 242 and I can't remember the lift. He had Geoff at EPS tune the truck. It ran well into the 12's on a small shot of spray.
Thanks bro

Quick Reply: 1996 Tahoe???s