Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Damaged paint from wind! Insurance Claim??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Damaged paint from wind! Insurance Claim??

Well its been hella windy here and i noticed my car has tiny white dots everywhere including the windshield. I am thinking about reporting a claim to the insurance company. Has anyone here ever done this? Will the insurance actually pay to have the whole car resprayed? I figure they should since i pay them $200 a month. Will my insurance go up any if i do? My policy has a $500 deductible on it so i figure i would have to put down the first 500 but the body shop i like to use includes it in there estimate...What do you guys think? My front bumper and rear bumper covers have cracks and paint defects and the body has little scratches here and there but nothin serious.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the white spots from, did something get blown on it? Doubt they'll pay for it bit they might, and they won't pay for any previous damage on the car either
Old 04-07-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

A. If they won't cover it.

B. If they do... you insurance will go up.

You don't want to use your insurance unless you have to.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
A. If they won't cover it.

B. If they do... you insurance will go up.

You don't want to use your insurance unless you have to.
got that right
Old 04-07-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sucks, I've got some white specks too. You might be able to get them off with a claybar, if not, have a professional detailer look at it.

I wouldn't recommend getting insurance involved. They likely won't cover it and you don't want to give them any excuse to raise your premium or report that your car has been "damaged" in some way...
Old 04-12-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading another thread and someone mentioned a toothpick, your body color paint, and wetsanding. Might want to look into that if the effected area isn't to large.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chances are your insurance won't move a penny. It wasn't an accident and it wasn't moving when it happened.
I have done it twice.. Once for someone keying my car and once for someone backing into me while car was parked at a fair. Both times my deductible was only half because I was not at fault and my insurance didn't move.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just got though this with my friend's pickup. Had a pretty bad wind storm and it pitted the hell out of his truck, (all those little white specks you are talking about).
It actually gets pretty windy out there and over the years it has gotten the pits, but the last windy day it was pretty bad so he called the insurance and told them about the latest wind storm and the pits. The insurance company sent an insurance agent out to his house to look at the damage. Of coarse he saw the pits all in the paint and agreed it could have been caused by the wind storm. My friend had to go to 2 different paint shops out of a small list the insurance company had of approved paint shops. He had to get estimates from each of the two shops. One was like $2800 and the other was like $2400. The insurance company took the average and my friend ended up getting a check for around $2600. My friend than took his truck to a guy he knew who painted cars on the side and paid him like a grand or something. he of coarse had to pay the insurance deductable of $500 or whatever and pocketed the rest. It was a pretty sweet deal and his insurance never went up.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:10 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Winner. If you can work the insurance company for all their worth. They rape us in the *** any chance they get.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
^ Winner. If you can work the insurance company for all their worth. They rape us in the *** any chance they get.
I pretty much agree, as you can see ... You pay for it, why not get some back every once in a while? Insurance companies will twist it any way they can to NOT get you your money or get you as little as possible.

Quick Reply: Damaged paint from wind! Insurance Claim??