Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Ordered a 12-Bolt.... cant wait to get to the track

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ordered a 12-Bolt.... cant wait to get to the track

Well its official.. Since I bought my Trans Am 1 year ago, EVERYTHING has broken and needed replacement... and I mean EVERYTHING...

Driving around the other day and my right rear wheel LOCKS up... Meh, time for a 12-bolt..

Ordered a Moser 12-bolt cant wait to get it in on thursday and get to the track and get some real times!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Banned

Why not a 9"??
Old 04-10-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damm cancil that 12 bolt order and get a 9in
Esp dont get a moser 12 bolt. I had one and sold it ASAP as their quality sucks and allmost got me killed driving around town.
here are some examples of Moser's poor design and quality
1st rear was nosiey from the day it was installed, had the gear pattern checked and it was perfect but it howled like a jet.
2nd the design of their TA mount just plain sucks, even with loc-tite the bolts dont stay tight
3rd they supplied deffective bolts to mount the TA, they snapped off in the blind holes with just light pressure during a mock-up fitting
4th when the rear was taken to a machine shop to have the broken bolt removed the shop found that the bolts were super soft even though they were marked as grade 8
5th Moser supplied the wrong length t-bolts to hold the axle in, they were not long enough to engage the locking area of the supplied nuts, so with in 6-800 miles they backed off. this led to the pass side axle sliding out of the housing when pulling away from a stop sign. This destroyed the seals, brake lines, E-brake system. lucky for me i was going 5mph so i was able to coast to a stop( no brakes because of the destruction) before the axle came completely out of the housing, so the car did not drop and no body dmg. If this happened at highway speeds or at the strip or autocross, I prob would not have suvived.
I checked the other side while fixing the rearend and found that 3 of the 4 nuts were missing
6th When I called Moser and told them, they were only willing to send out a bag of the correct t-bolts and locknuts, after they admitted that they sent out a few rears with the incorrect hardware

And Lastly I replaced the moser 12 bolt with a Midwest Fab 9in. It is hands downs a vastly superior part. It is silent on the street, keeps my 3 ch abs, is much stronger,comes with a better TA completely, and was competitivley priced
But Even after I got rid of the 12 bolt, Moser still is able to bite me in the ***. I got one of the 1st Midwest 9 in rears. At the time Eric had to use Moser axles, he now has enough volume that strange makes his parts now. The moser dr side axle was left with a nick in the surface where the axle seal rides , this was done before it was hardened and never seen by QC. So it eats a seal about every 500 miles. Its back at midwest to see if it can be fixed, or a new set of strange axle will have to be ordered.

So in closing, RUN away from any Moser product! Shitty design , No quality control, and no customer service.

Last edited by BillS; 04-10-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BillS
Esp dont get a mosler 12 bolt. I had one and sold it ASAP as their quality sucks and allmost got me killed driving around town.
Care to elaborate on this?

I hear people bitch about 12 bolt's from moser.. mine has been 9.5x more times then I can count, left off the transbrake with over 600 rwhp ffor who knows how many passes, ran it hard on motor for a whole season, and not once did it give me a problem.

I pulled the posi to put a spool in while changing the gears (for a ratio change not because they were broken) and everything that came out was perfect, hell it all went into another kid's car.

I don't understand why everyone hates on the 12 bolts. LIttle bit of gear whine it to be expected IMO... if you can't live with that then you shouldn't be racing. couple hard launches even a perfect setup is gonna start to whine some....
Old 04-10-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

see my edit above

and feel free to ask me any questions
Old 04-10-2010, 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

Honestly, I could not get ahold of Midwest Chassis. I called at least 5 times and not once did it ring. It is my only car and I need it running ASAP. Thunder racing said 3 days to build and 2 to ship so I could not argue with that.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get a Strange 12 bolt not a Moser.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

i got a moser 12... and racing was no fun until i could use real tires.

yeah i got some whine... yeah the torque arm mount sucks. if you can afford a fab-9, go for it. if you can afford to have your car down for a month to order a strange-12, go for it.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

Well the moser was $2735 shipped from thunder racing with TruTrac and 33 spline axles and 3channel abs.

I believe the fab9 wouldve been $2700 shipped but I could not get ahold of them and i need the car running asap.

We will see it will be here on wednesday and its going in on thursday.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

my moser 12 bolt is loud as hell (whine), but it's been in the car for 4 years now with no issues.

Good luck with the install!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:23 AM
10 Second Club

yea good luck with midwest chassis!!!! i ordered my rear like beginning of feb. and still have not gotten it yet!
Old 04-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

see my edit above

and feel free to ask me any questions
Well let's see, the gear noise, there will be some, that's the nature of a performance rear, so that's not an issue. The bolts backing out, I have heard this a million times, yet I never had a problem? I'd blame this issue on the installer not the design.

The tq arm bracket bolts up perfectly fine as well, there is no problem here, every tq arm I've ever bolted on (bmr, spohn, madman, burkhart) have all went on fine with no problems, so again, I'd call this in install error.

The bolts being the wrong length for the backing plates, you should have saw that at install, same with the bolts being too long that you broke off.

Sounds like alot of install error's that are being blamed on the part, then you replaced the part with another piece that was probably pre-assembled when you got it so there was no chance of an install error. The midwest parts are great I agrree, but all your 12 bolt woes, were install related.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:43 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Esp dont get a moser 12 bolt. I had one and sold it ASAP as their quality sucks and allmost got me killed driving around town.
here are some examples of Moser's poor design and quality
1st rear was nosiey from the day it was installed, had the gear pattern checked and it was perfect but it howled like a jet.
2nd the design of their TA mount just plain sucks, even with loc-tite the bolts dont stay tight
3rd they supplied deffective bolts to mount the TA, they snapped off in the blind holes with just light pressure during a mock-up fitting
4th when the rear was taken to a machine shop to have the broken bolt removed the shop found that the bolts were super soft even though they were marked as grade 8
5th Moser supplied the wrong length t-bolts to hold the axle in, they were not long enough to engage the locking area of the supplied nuts, so with in 6-800 miles they backed off. this led to the pass side axle sliding out of the housing when pulling away from a stop sign. This destroyed the seals, brake lines, E-brake system. lucky for me i was going 5mph so i was able to coast to a stop( no brakes because of the destruction) before the axle came completely out of the housing, so the car did not drop and no body dmg. If this happened at highway speeds or at the strip or autocross, I prob would not have suvived.
I checked the other side while fixing the rearend and found that 3 of the 4 nuts were missing
6th When I called Moser and told them, they were only willing to send out a bag of the correct t-bolts and locknuts, after they admitted that they sent out a few rears with the incorrect hardware

And Lastly I replaced the moser 12 bolt with a Midwest Fab 9in. It is hands downs a vastly superior part. It is silent on the street, keeps my 3 ch abs, is much stronger,comes with a better TA completely, and was competitivley priced
But Even after I got rid of the 12 bolt, Moser still is able to bite me in the ***. I got one of the 1st Midwest 9 in rears. At the time Eric had to use Moser axles, he now has enough volume that strange makes his parts now. The moser dr side axle was left with a nick in the surface where the axle seal rides , this was done before it was hardened and never seen by QC. So it eats a seal about every 500 miles. Its back at midwest to see if it can be fixed, or a new set of strange axle will have to be ordered.

So in closing, RUN away from any Moser product! Shitty design , No quality control, and no customer service.

I've dealt with a few Moser 12 bolts. They have issues...
Old 04-11-2010, 01:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Moser 12bolt works but don't really recommend them due to the issue's above.You might get lucky and have a quiet one. The few that I have done all got re setup before they went into the cars.All of them had the gear set installed wrong.

As for the bolts -yes,worst design ever.I tack weld them in place.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ajw2500hd
yea good luck with midwest chassis!!!! i ordered my rear like beginning of feb. and still have not gotten it yet!
Believe me when I tell the wait is worth it, I waited 3 months for mine and yes I would do it again.

Surprising that Eric at mwc don't answer the phone...
I've never had a problem getting whole of him.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

you have to call after 12!!!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

probally the best mod you can do on these cars.... your gunna love that thing
Old 04-12-2010, 06:56 AM
11 Second Club

The midwest fabbed 9" is worth waiting a year for!
I would have recommended a strange over the Moser. Yeah it takes a couple weeks, but it will bolt right in, has the correct provisions for the TA, and from what i've heard the true trac is ehh. (i dunno if they offer the wavetrack in the 12bolt). Although I would have recomended the fabbed 9" over the Strange. Eric at midwest usually will get back to you within the day.

If you get the Moser just make sure those Torque Arm bolts stay put.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

probally the best mod you can do on these cars.... your gunna love that thing

LOL as long as you dont want to talk to anyone or listen to the radio while driving
Old 04-12-2010, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Do Moser rears still come unassembled? My Strange 12-bolt is a nice piece no problems with any bolts or anything like that.