Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Repaint Completely or Just Paint few parts.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool Repaint Completely or Just Paint few parts.

My '01 camaro's passenger side fender needs to be replaced.
Both bumpers (front & rear) have spider webbing.

I am thinking about just getting these 3 parts painted but I'm concerned about the color (bright red/ rally red) blending perfectly.

Or Should I just wait and repaint the whole car?

Thanks Guys.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if you don't repaint it it has to be blended to the doors and rear quarters. I think the best idea because the way red fades is to repaint the whole car you're basically going to be doing it anyway
Old 04-13-2010, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

I needed to fix my two bumpers, I bought a hood, and a wing so I figured I would just paint it all. I changed the color slightly while I was there but it didn't cost extra since it didn't need the jams painted.

My advice is paint it all. Honestly, with all the blending, it won't cost that much more.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Yea I am leaning into favor of painting the whole car itself so it can be uniform.

Just curios of how much is it extra to paint door jambs if I change colors.
I 'll probably do it in 2 stages of painting the exterior, door jambs and engine bay,trunk.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

definitely paint the whole thing. my car was in a wreck with the previous owner and theres not a matching red on the car. im repainting it all once i get the rest of the car built lol
Old 04-13-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny thing is I am in the same situation as you man.
When I got my car the passenger fender was damaged so I bought one off of Ebay...that was my first mistake, the rear bumper was cracked and had paint missing so I had a so called hook up for $200 to paint both.
After I picked them up the fender looked like a bag of ********, it had runs at the bottom and pits in the paint, the rear bumper looked awesome for about 7months and the paint started chipping again where the cracks were.
The fender didnt match at all and I dont think he even used clear. I would have bitched but he didnt speak english and it wasnt worth my time to try to make him understand why I was pissed at the work. I could have done alot better with a spray can lol.

So now I bought a Compressor, guns etc to paint with so I can practice this summer.
From what I understand though if you dont blend the parts into the car it will definitely be off, probably not horrible and alot of people probably wont even notice. I mean with my shitty fender that bugs the hell out of me alot of people dont even notice.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

On a solid color no need to blend for the bumpers because they probably won't match perfect even if you do, as far as the fender I would blend the door atleast, the hood is on a differant angle so if it's not a perfect match it will be hard to tell. Plus with the cost of red paint you don't want to have to do any more than needed
Old 04-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Launching!

My front drivers side fender and hood were replaced and repainted at some point. No one can tell but me that they don't match the rest of the car. If I could have it my way I'd do the whole thing though and get the years of abuse out of the paint.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Junkie

if properly painted and blend you shouldnt be able to tell a diff in color, and it will be 1/2 the price if not 1/3 of a whole paint job
Old 04-15-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for all the replies, I 'll be repainting the whole car since I am considering changing colors. Either Attomic Orange or Artic White.

Time to find a fender and tonneau covers for the 'vert so they can be paint matched.
I ll be making a few trips to this shop to see some of their cars in various stages.

Painter's experience, shop's environment all check out good.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you said you wanted to change colors, but if you stick with red, go with this hue:

BMW Imola Red:

Its a bright, retina seering red. A guy at work has a 2010 650i in this color, and the depth of the paint is just stunning. Its NOT an orangey red either, which the stock red on fbodys and Corvettes tends to look like.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Junkie

^ That is a nice deep red color n also a great idea to look into other manufacturer's colors!

Quick Reply: Repaint Completely or Just Paint few parts.