diesel guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diesel guys

well ive been doing research on diesels . cause my dd now guzzles gas i can travel 300 miles without having to fill up. i ask this cause i thought about getting a cheap tdi jetta or a truck. i like the cummins and duramax's can some diesel owners chim in on the ups and downs of these choices.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by That_guy
well ive been doing research on diesels . cause my dd now guzzles gas i can travel 300 miles without having to fill up. i ask this cause i thought about getting a cheap tdi jetta or a truck. i like the cummins and duramax's can some diesel owners chim in on the ups and downs of these choices.
gas you can find every where!
diesel at-least in my town is not found in every gas station...
if you get diesel i would say a truck but
i do have a friend with a TDI jetta and there not too loud
Cummin's is a great engine
just dont go ford
Old 04-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

All of our trucks at work are either duramax or cummins, both are great trucks. The duramax's seem to have front end issues more regularly than the cummins trucks but cummins trucks have more random issues like u-joints and water pumps. All of them are high mileage though, around 200,000. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either. They're especially more fun with mods!!! Good luck with your decision!
Old 04-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

I work at dodge and I recommend the cummins. Hell no to fords. And th HD Chevys aren't bad either. As far as dodge goes, I reccommend the 5.9 cummins, the 6.7 isn't bad, but you can't mod it and the exhaust is dumb due to emmisions bs. Personally I'd get a 04-07&1/2 5.9 with the 6spd. The auto tranny's have their problems
Old 04-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mtywty
All of our trucks at work are either duramax or cummins, both are great trucks. The duramax's seem to have front end issues more regularly than the cummins trucks but cummins trucks have more random issues like u-joints and water pumps. All of them are high mileage though, around 200,000. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either. They're especially more fun with mods!!! Good luck with your decision!
we use both at work too and i couldnt agree more. the dmax's will have a little more front end issues b/c theyre ifs. but that usually doesnt come into play till high miles. but the ifs makes the ride quality 100 times better imo. also gives the truck a better turning radius. the cumapart aint a bad motor, im just not a fan of the rest of the truck. the interior seems a lot cheaper than the chevy. cant beat the lt package
Old 04-17-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just picked me up an 02 dodge 2500 (24 valve) and im at 350 miles on a half a tank of fuel. i love it so far.......and diesel is 2.74 in baytown.....
Old 04-17-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

yes i need to know how many miles to the tank these things get. i know the jetta gets 600 something.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 08 6.7 Cummins 4x4 quad cab leveled the front and 33's I get 18-19 mpg on the highway and 13.5-14.5 in town depending on how hard I drive it. I love my Dodge. I traded in an 02 D-max basically same truck for the Dodge. The D-max was a great truck to with about the same fuel mileage.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Isnt the jetta what the kid in the fast n furious raxed against the S2000
Old 04-17-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you go dodge go with the 5.9 due to it's a good motor and they get great MPG with mods, the down side is the truck is built cheap and I have a buddy that has trannys and 4WD parts breaking very often he has gone threw 3 or more trannys. I think there great looking trucks I know -ROSS- will be here soon to argue with me !

And I have a duramax and love it ! it has 176,XXX they get ok MPG nothing like the dodge tho. I"m stock and have my cat and muffler chopped off and I made a trip to houston not to long ago and got 19.5 MPG's which I thought was good. There good trucks trannys are good under stock power but if you put more than 100hp over stock you'll be needing to upgrade. I love the interior very nice IMO !

But over all there both good trucks just stay away from fords and get what you like and not what everyone else likes........
Old 04-17-2010, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

the 7.3L in the fords is the only way id touch one. But the 7.3's we have a work, one auto, 1 5 speed. And they can pull a house off the foundation.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

They're all good trucks...even the new Ford Powerstroke 6.4's.

I have a 6.7 Cummins (see truck in sig) and I'm happy with it. I get over 21mpg on the highway. I've got an Edge Juice with Attitude (Hot unlocked), TS Performance MP-8 rail pressure adjuster, AEM Brute Force CAI, catless 4" downpipe, 4" DPF delete exhaust, and EGR deletes.

It will get up and go for a big *** land boat that weighs nearly 4 tons.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZZi4wt2O_0
Old 04-17-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

some good info here. im just looking for a car or truck with good gas mileage. im pretty sure any of these choices above gets better mpg than my car. although i did think about going fast a little bit as well. if i save up enough bread i may get a truck. i hear great things about the duramax but i also hear the allision doesn't like mods.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:37 PM
RCC
On The Tree

The diesel getta can not be be beat on fuel mileage. If you go the truck route, I would look at any of the new ones as the only way they get " acceptable" mileage is thru the use of programmers,which in turn has effects on the dpf systems on the trucks, the dpf's can be removed but then you got the headache of putting it back everytime the truck has to go to the dealership. If I were looking for fuel mileage in a truck I would start with the 98.5 to 02 cummins 24 valve trucks, the are gas mileage freaks from the factory. Next in line would be the 03-05 common rail cummins trucks, a small programmer and they are capable of great mileage. Lastly the 02-05 dmax's are very capable also.

My choice would be the 03-05 dodges. The earlier 24 valves get better fuel mileage but require injector pump changes( $1500- $2000) every few years and the trucks arent as nice as the newer ones. The dmax's are great trucks but as mentioned before the chevy front ends and brakes suck. I have owned 10-15 diesel trucks from all 3 american truck builders and what I have said above has been my experience.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Launching!

some good info here. im just looking for a car or truck with good gas mileage. im pretty sure any of these choices above gets better mpg than my car. although i did think about going fast a little bit as well. if i save up enough bread i may get a truck. i hear great things about the duramax but i also hear the allision doesn't like mods.
if your worried about a tranny holdin up to mods stay away from the cumaparts. allisons not bulletproof, but very tough. ive seen em hold strong to hard 4x4 launches over and over. rcc is very right on the 02 to 05 dmaxes are great. the LB7 would be my diesel of choice but i think that went from 02 to 04 or 04.5. not sure exactly tho. if you go dmax, there is great info at duramaxforum. theres also plenty of diesel trucks for sale at great prices too
Old 04-17-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes i need to know how many miles to the tank these things get. i know the jetta gets 600 something.
That's pointless really. Go by MPG not miles per tank unless you live in the middle of nowhere with only 1 gas station in a 600 miles radius. And in Texas that's not a problem.

Would you prefer a car that got 600 miles to the tank with a 50 gallon tank or a car that got 400 miles to the tank but with a 20 gallon tank?
Old 04-17-2010, 10:41 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
That's pointless really. Go by MPG not miles per tank unless you live in the middle of nowhere with only 1 gas station in a 600 miles radius. And in Texas that's not a problem.

Would you prefer a car that got 600 miles to the tank with a 50 gallon tank or a car that got 400 miles to the tank but with a 20 gallon tank?
Some people travel...
Old 04-17-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by danieloneil01

well i like the tdi but i think that car is slower than my impala now. i do a lot of highway driving with traffic included. hell i had to fill up two times this week. btw i would like any of the trucks because they can accelerate pretty good. ive driven the tdi and it was a lil slow but i know i can put a few things on it and make it quick. It would seem that the trucks would be a little bit better on the fun side.

ive seen a few trucks below 20,000 $.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

both the deisels we have are 7.3 excursions, they are bothed chipped and have CAI's and both get around 24 mpg hwy and about 18 city. and ive personally seen our red one pull a dump truck out of the mud. however the 7.3 is the only "ford" deisel i'de buy. not too experienced with modding a 7.3 though.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:59 AM
Banned

**** a diesel,if you wanna have to spend more on oil changes and fuel,then buy a diesel.
you never will break even unless you use the **** out of it.
diesel is fixing to hit $4.00
ASK ME HOW I KNOW!