Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help on running issue,working on car right now. thanks

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on running issue,working on car right now. thanks

the issue im having is that the motor will fire up and run fine for about 5mins on a cold start up, then it doesnt want to run and it falls on its face after 5 min or so, like there is a bad sensor. ive replace all the sensors an check all my wiring to make sure it has the right volts & omh going to it. ive had the pcm check as well an it runs fine in a other car. the pcm has a edit done to it to run on a convertion setup. so there is no security issue. What the car is doing is that when you give it gas it dies and wont rev up, and when the car is really warm it bearly wants to try to start, it'll start and die, start right up and die, again and again untill it wont want to start at all, but at the same time still having fuel and spark getting there. so I don't know why it does this.

i've changed cam sensor, crank sensor is change, afm is changed etc.

it's like on old 350 carb motors if it were to have a bad distributor, if you guys every did one that's exactly what it's doing.

the motor is a ls1 out of a 2002 camaro an the truck its in is a 70 chevy.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
Old 04-19-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked your fuel pressure? Do you have any way to scan the pcm and watch fuel trims and o2 sensor voltages?
Old 04-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Launching!

yes its got a regulator on it, the o2 sensors arent pluged in. the issue is that it doesnt want to idel after it warm an then has a hard time trying to start.
i dont have the obd2 port wired up, i its starting to look like i need to
Old 04-19-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by rudyzturbota
yes its got a regulator on it, the o2 sensors arent pluged in. the issue is that it doesnt want to idel after it warm an then has a hard time trying to start.
i dont have the obd2 port wired up, i its starting to look like i need to
huh, I would think that most people was assume its completely wired (o2 sensors too) before trying to start it OR diagnos it.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Launching!

02 sensor are programe out of the ecm
Old 04-19-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

02 sensor are programe out of the ecm
All of them, or just the rears......you need o2 sensors, or it's going to run like an old school carbed small block with a bad distributor........

Get your OBD2 port hooked up, along with the front o2's, scan it and see what it says.....

Are you running a MAF, or are you running speed density, turbo or not........a little more background on your setup.........

T,
Old 04-19-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does sound like exactly what mine did before I plugged in my O2 sensors when I was testing things.

Plug in your sensors and see what happens.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like its acting up when it out of closed loop mode if its Fuel Injected. Could be a tune issue, a bad MAF or something that's messing up that fuel when the engine is outs closed loop when it warms up.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Launching!

all o2 are tuned out. front and back. Since all of you are saying o2 sensors, for a test, I unpluged all the o2 sensor on my 98 Camaro ls1 and the car still runs the same, just have engine light on afterward. Yes the engine idle a little rougher running rich without the o2 but it does not do anything near what my problems are with this swap.......

Sooooo, to make things short...it's NOT my o2 sensors being hook up.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

all o2 are tuned out. front and back. Since all of you are saying o2 sensors, for a test, I unpluged all the o2 sensor on my 98 Camaro ls1 and the car still runs the same, just have engine light on afterward. Yes the engine idle a little rougher running rich without the o2 but it does not do anything near what my problems are with this swap.......

Sooooo, to make things short...it's NOT my o2 sensors being hook up.

The front 02 sensors tell the engine what fuel mixture to put in... if they are not there IT WILL NOT RUN RIGHT. It relys on the front o2 sensors to operate properly. Unplug your front o2's then unplug your battery to reset the PCM hook the battery back up leaving the front o2's on and after it warms up go for a drive... I dont know what tuner would tune those out unless your running a speed density tune..
Old 04-20-2010, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Palomba
The front 02 sensors tell the engine what fuel mixture to put in... if they are not there IT WILL NOT RUN RIGHT. It relys on the front o2 sensors to operate properly. Unplug your front o2's then unplug your battery to reset the PCM hook the battery back up leaving the front o2's on and after it warms up go for a drive... I dont know what tuner would tune those out unless your running a speed density tune..
Speed density and o2 sensors are two different things. Speed density is when you don't use a MAF. If the o2 sensors are not plugged in the car should just stay in open loop when the dtc sets. However, if your tuner set the pcm to not set those dtc's the pcm will not know to ignore them. You need to make sure that your tuner set the closed loop enable temp as high as it goes so it never tries to go into closed loop.
If you want to run open loop at all times, you need to have the car tuned with a wideband since the pcm can't make any corrections. It is next to impossible to properly tune the car without actually hooking up a wideband and tuning it in person. You can get close, but if you don't run o2 sensors it won't be able to correct itself. This is all assuming that the problem is tune/o2 sensor related. You really need to hook up a DLC so you can scan it for codes.
Why don't you want to run o2 sensors anyway?
Old 04-20-2010, 02:59 AM
On The Tree

well im saying in a Speed density setup he wouldent need the front o2 sensors to rely on the way the engine runs right? But im guessing hes not running speed density and will need the front o2 sensors.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Launching!

my car isnt speed density,its still using the maf and map. ALL O2's have been turned off, closed loop enable temp is set as high as can be. fuel pressure set to 58psi. motor is complete stock. Im giving up on this project, if anyone can help with any advice. please doooo. thanks for some of the info

Last edited by rudyzturbota; 04-20-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Until you get a DLC hooked up and you scan it for codes, you are just guessing.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Launching!

thanks for the info and help guys im going to hook up my obd2 port an see were to go from there an possibly hook up the o2. i well post up an let you know what i come up with. thanks again
Old 04-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Launching!

hooked up the obd2 port, got codes

P0412
secondary air injection system valve A malf
P0418
same as above but relay A malf
P0443
evap emission
P0449
evap emission
P0452
evap emission
P0480
cooling fan 1
P0481
cooling fan 2
P0650
Mil control circuit malf
P0803
upshift solenoid trans

CLEARLY, this is NOT an o2 problem.
The only one I don't know is P0650, that's the only one I'm concern about. so if you guys have anything you can tell me, let me know.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

Those codes won't cause your problem. Does your scan tool have data streaming capabilities? Just to 100% rule it out; watch the loop status and make sure it doesn't go to closed loop when the vehicle starts to run poorly. If it says open loop and it is still running badly, then it is definitely not the lack of o2 sensors.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pdsq98gt
Those codes won't cause your problem. Does your scan tool have data streaming capabilities? Just to 100% rule it out; watch the loop status and make sure it doesn't go to closed loop when the vehicle starts to run poorly. If it says open loop and it is still running badly, then it is definitely not the lack of o2 sensors.
I know that those codes wont make the car run bad. but since so many wanted to know I just wanted to point it out. my scan tool does not have data streaming. but i'm hooking up hp tuner in a bit and i'll see what happens.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Helpppppp going insaneeeeeee
Old 05-06-2010, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

my car is doing the same thing, fml!

Quick Reply: need help on running issue,working on car right now. thanks