Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Choosing a Cat-back

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help!! Choosing a Cat-back

Another one of the unlucky ones replacing a cat-back

I have purchased Hooker LT Headers and an ORY and already have a SLP Loudmouth 2(bought for my first car with stock manifold in cats, no bashing). I've heard awful things about how loud and obnoxious the LM is without cats so I'm in the market for a new cat-back system.

I have narrowed it down to GMMG thanks to the forums, and B&B thanks to my brother.

The GMMG is 700-750 new and I haven't got a hold of anyone on the website, or at least no one wants to talk to me. I've also heard that it will take 3 to 4+ weeks to receive.

My brother has the same exhaust setup(Hooker LT + ORY) with a B&B Tri-flo and I love how it sounds. It is 999 + shipping and will take just over a week. Although expensive, this is my only choice considering I haven't heard from vengeance racing nor the GMMG crew....

I want this to be the last setup I have to buy for my car so both are in my price range.

P.S. True Duals are out of the question, don't try to talk me into them. In TX the exhaust has to leave the car(no dumps before the axle) and I'm not going to change any of the suspension things to fit the massive pipes over my axle. Plus clearance will be an issue later.

EDIT: If anyone has a good audio clip of GMMG with LT headers and an ORY it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!
Blake

Last edited by BlakeLan2010; 04-19-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go w/the GMMG and there is a guy on the Florida Forum that is selling one for $400.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Ya.. I would also choose GMMG if I were to get rid of my Magnaflow catback, but I don't see that happening so ya! But anyways GMMG all the way, if u have to wait for it, it just makes it that much better when u get it and can put it on! Search YouTube for vids you can find any setup u want on there!

Vince
Old 04-21-2010, 06:24 PM

Magnaflow
Old 04-21-2010, 06:25 PM

& wrong section, moving to the right one.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are ever planning a cam GMMG gets too loud IMO. Hooker though is great with a cam but too quiet w/o one...... Not what you were asking but you should consider future mods as it can change everything....
Old 04-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Hey thanks for the responses.

I have emailed both GMMG Inc and Vengeance Racing and didn't get a reply from either about the availability of the system...

I've heard GMMG has been having technical issues but I guess I might just call them.
And I just sent another message to Vengeance to see if I could get a response.

And as for the guy in Florida, I heard he wanted a local deal, plus I'm not the type of guy to buy used. I guess I'm not too trustworthy, especially considering I've been waiting for wheels for almost a month now, and they're from a dealer

Blake
Old 04-21-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

I like the hooker myself. There are a million opinions on what sounds good, and what doesnt, it all comes down to taste. Just listen to some clips and make your choice. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Call Venegance they should have them in stock if not they are on backorder.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the LM2 is already on the car, why don't you just add the LTs and ORY and see if you like it before purchasing a new catback.

I know, I know... soooooo many people say, LTs/ORY + LM Catback = Terrible sounding exhaust.

To hell with what "so many people say".

Try it and see if you like it, before spending alot more money than you would have had to. Why tear something off your without even giving it a chance?
Old 04-22-2010, 04:08 AM
On The Tree

I had the hooker aero chambers on my Trans Am, sounded awesome. I went to true duals with sweet thunder's. IMO that's the absolute pinnacle of awesome sounding exhaust.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:28 AM
On The Tree

I had the LM2 with long tube headers and catted y. I loved the sound when I first got it, but it gets old quick. The car was so loud that if I wanted to play it would attract the wrong kind of attention. Switched to a Hooker cat back yesterday .... IMO sounds better and the neighbors might start talking to me again.lol
Old 04-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Magnaflow or GMMG would still be my choice! Like i said in previous post, if u have to wait for it it makes it that much better!

Vince
Old 04-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mumbles
If the LM2 is already on the car, why don't you just add the LTs and ORY and see if you like it before purchasing a new catback.

I know, I know... soooooo many people say, LTs/ORY + LM Catback = Terrible sounding exhaust.

To hell with what "so many people say".

Try it and see if you like it, before spending alot more money than you would have had to. Why tear something off your without even giving it a chance?
Sorry, forgot to mention. I am installing headers and ORY this weekend with my LM2...but hearing all the things about it, I want to have my choice prepared if it really is too loud.

And does anyone have an opinion on the B+B??
Old 04-22-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlakeLan2010
Sorry, forgot to mention. I am installing headers and ORY this weekend with my LM2...but hearing all the things about it, I want to have my choice prepared if it really is too loud.
Cool. If you can, you should post up a video or sound clip. I'd be interested in hearing how it sounds.

And then if you do decide a different catback is necessary, you'll have a before video to compare the new pipes to.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlakeLan2010
Another one of the unlucky ones replacing a cat-back

I have purchased Hooker LT Headers and an ORY and already have a SLP Loudmouth 2(bought for my first car with stock manifold in cats, no bashing). I've heard awful things about how loud and obnoxious the LM is without cats so I'm in the market for a new cat-back system.

I have narrowed it down to GMMG thanks to the forums, and B&B thanks to my brother.

The GMMG is 700-750 new and I haven't got a hold of anyone on the website, or at least no one wants to talk to me. I've also heard that it will take 3 to 4+ weeks to receive.

My brother has the same exhaust setup(Hooker LT + ORY) with a B&B Tri-flo and I love how it sounds. It is 999 + shipping and will take just over a week. Although expensive, this is my only choice considering I haven't heard from vengeance racing nor the GMMG crew....

I want this to be the last setup I have to buy for my car so both are in my price range.

P.S. True Duals are out of the question, don't try to talk me into them. In TX the exhaust has to leave the car(no dumps before the axle) and I'm not going to change any of the suspension things to fit the massive pipes over my axle. Plus clearance will be an issue later.

EDIT: If anyone has a good audio clip of GMMG with LT headers and an ORY it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!
Blake
IMO, GMMG sounds best with cat converters. I have a GMMG exhaust
on my car with stock cats & exhaust manifolds & I love the sound.
So of the 2 you listed, I would pick B&B.
But personally, I would buy Corsa before B&B.

BTW, if you do decide to get the GMMG exhaust, buy it from Vengeance
Racing. A lot of people had problems getting them from GMMG. I don't
know if they have gotten any better. I ordered from VR when they had
them in stock & I had it in 3-4 days.
It looks like they have the exhaust on pre-order: https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...re-orders.html
Old 04-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

If you don't like the sound of LT + ORY + LM2, add the powerflo conversion. Look up detoxx, he has that set up with a cam.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check out my sig, u might like what you hear.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

GMMG hands down, no questions asked. I'll be putting one on my car soon.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:31 AM
11 Second Club

lm2 isnt as loud as lm1. you might like it.