Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

handling with wider rear tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default handling with wider rear tires

I understand straight line traction would be better, but how does it affect cornering? When I autox my car under steers in the slow corners and over steers in the higher speed ones (probably me going to fast into the corners).
This guy below had a similar question.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...-handling.html
Old 04-20-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

more rubber on the road is usually a good thing, but you want it to be balanced. too much grip on one end can make things a little awkward.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are having too much understeer with your current setup, increase the tire pressure in the rear.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
If you are having too much understeer with your current setup, increase the tire pressure in the rear.
I disagree with this advice. Then he'll have the same amount of understeer with more oversteer.

#1 Thing to fix too much understeer will be turning smoother. Setup your line better so you can turn earlier. Sudden jerks of the wheel will cause the car to push.

2. Too much speed into the turn can cause the car to push. Brake early, turn early, foot on the gas sooner. All smooth

3. Once you weed out all driver induced understeer, consider an alignment. Max out the front negative camber and caster and get the toe even. If you haven't done alignment, it's possible your camber is positive which sucks big time.

Nothing meant personal by # 1 and 2. For all I know you've got those nailed down. I wouldn't go with a wider rear tire unless you complement it with a wider front. I've got 315/35/17's all around on my Camaro. It's a really nice balance. I've gotten rid of a lot of understeer issues with all 3 of these.

If you are pretty new to autoxing though, seat time and instruction will be your best bet.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Also.. any experienced fbody or mustang drivers in your local club? Take a ride with them if you can to see what they do to get their fast times. Ride alongs help big time.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Solid advice^, in ride alongs I have been told about smoothing out my throttle, and turning sooner since I don't compensate for my street tires pushing. I have done my own alignment and it is setup for the street, looking at my tires they are far more worn on the outside than the inside
There are some regulars who autox in my area, I just need to get out more often.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

I know, I had the same problem. Worn outer edges due to the positive camber. I think the tires wear better with .5 to 1 degree of negative camber. You'll understeer less too.

Quick Reply: handling with wider rear tires