Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Got to play with my first Rotary

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:33 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Got to play with my first Rotary

I have been chasing my bro for about a year to show me how to use one. Just been busy but yesterday we finally got a chance to practice.

It was on a Makita 9227c that has the bar over the top.

We practiced on his '87 Grand National which has really decent paint, just some swirls and nothing too crazy. He showed me proper technique and basically keep it moving, even, consistant, wipe and inspect/evaluate.

We just used Ardex "Seal B" and a White finishing pad but for the most part it was a great experience and I think I am going to move up to the bad boy. I do expect to find a junkyard body panel and practice on.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. By the title i thought this was going to be a post about racing an RX7.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Internet Mechanic

lol. yea, i thought about that too.

I figured it would be titled..... I was playing with my first Wankle or something like that.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ardex products are GREAT but they are $$$$$

My mom owns a carwash and uses alot of it. I tend to steal it sometimes
Old 04-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
Ardex products are GREAT but they are $$$$$

My mom owns a carwash and uses alot of it. I tend to steal it sometimes
Yea, I do not mind the product. I have had heard some people think its cheapo. Who knows. My bro detailed for a few years and kept good friends with the co. that ran their shop of his dealership and he mainly uses Seal B and then uses Meguaires Professional line products and really likes liquid Turtle wax. So yea, he is all over the place.

I try to stay within the Meguire's line as I can find a lot of info on it and have some great references.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been working with a rotary lately. It isn't hard, at least as hard as people make it out to be. Although I'm not pro, I full expect to hit some road blocks and or mess up sooner or later. Its tough to get a read on my car though because my paint is in such bad shape. If I level one layer of defects I get a totally new one and it looks like some of my car was repainted...poorly, so its really not worth spending the time on it. There are a ton of pinhole sized dots on my car, like someone painted with dust on it or something, so it really just needs to be repainted at this point. When it stops raining here I want to test the rotary out on my dads older Mercedes.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Internet Mechanic

Yea, if you have deep imperfections, its almost to the point where you want to start over.

I think I wanna try on a body panel or too from the junk yard.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will let you practice on the blue ta i just bought let me know when
Old 04-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by thechef
i will let you practice on the blue ta i just bought let me know when
Yea, I'll PM you. Let me figure out when I can get ahold of my Bro's Mikita and go from there.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:03 PM

ok cool, i am dropping it off to get the new gears put in tonight, the gears in it now are LOUD OMG..cant wait till the new ones are installed
Old 04-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Internet Mechanic

ok cool, i am dropping it off to get the new gears put in tonight, the gears in it now are LOUD OMG..cant wait till the new ones are installed
Good Deal.

4.10's??
Old 04-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Humanitarian

Just two days ago I busted out the rotary for 15 minutes. The fiance parts like 30 car spaces away from everyone and someone was nice enough to scuff her bumper. 99% of the damage was transfer paint so I took that off with a compound, polish, cleaner and two layers of polymer sealent. That one portion of the bumper looks better then the entire car. She's really trying to get me off my *** to do the entire car.

Last 4 weekends I've been in work but I'll post before/after pictures. The car still has the dealer swirls.....they are really deep and in matter of fact they arent in circle motions either. It looks like someone had sand in the wash mitt and dragged it all over her brand new WRX. Oh well, it'll be easy. With Meguiars 105 you just need a cleaner/prep after the inital buff. The 105 is really gritty and works down wicked fine and doesnt dry or clump up. Really impressive product.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Good Deal.

4.10's??
yes replacing the LOUD 4.10s with new ones hopefully will be quiet
Old 04-27-2010, 07:51 AM
11 Second Club

Nice GN

Yeah I've been "practicing" too...
Attached Thumbnails Got to play with my first Rotary-0411002002-large-.jpg  
Old 04-27-2010, 08:08 AM
Internet Mechanic

yes replacing the LOUD 4.10s with new ones hopefully will be quiet
Kenny was able to get mine dead quiet, only a little noise on the Accel which made it feel like a Blower lol.

But then I decided to bring it to the track, now there is noise all the time lol. Good thing I decided to put in the R series Front shocks this weekend haha.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:15 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
Just two days ago I busted out the rotary for 15 minutes. The fiance parts like 30 car spaces away from everyone and someone was nice enough to scuff her bumper. 99% of the damage was transfer paint so I took that off with a compound, polish, cleaner and two layers of polymer sealent. That one portion of the bumper looks better then the entire car. She's really trying to get me off my *** to do the entire car.

Last 4 weekends I've been in work but I'll post before/after pictures. The car still has the dealer swirls.....they are really deep and in matter of fact they arent in circle motions either. It looks like someone had sand in the wash mitt and dragged it all over her brand new WRX. Oh well, it'll be easy. With Meguiars 105 you just need a cleaner/prep after the inital buff. The 105 is really gritty and works down wicked fine and doesnt dry or clump up. Really impressive product.
People over on Meguire's site rave about the stuff. My chemicals will revolve around the Professional Product line. Most of the paint on all our cars is good, just has swirls. My T/A's bumper (side skirt are where the red marker light is) has terrible swirls, I noticed this weekend. I'll have to make a point of hitting that spot.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Skip the Ardex, skip the Meg's and buy Menzerna. Best polishes money can buy hands down.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Humanitarian

Everyone has a fav product and everything else is a waste of time. I've been using 3M and Meg Pro line the entire time I've been detailing....I save money and my cars will come out looking just as good.

Different products can be worked different ways, yea sure there are some products that are better then others but for the most part they will all get a car PERFECT, it's just a matter of how compatible you are with the method of application for that specific brand. Menzerna.....eh, it is what it is, it doesnt make me want to spend the money on it. I dont like the way it has to be worked in, broken down, how it wipes off. I've gotten used to things being done a certian way I suppose.

Danno, that's a random orbital; we're talking about the big dog machines, like when your wiping the sweat from your brow the first time you detail a car because you know it only takes 2 seconds at most to burn through the clear, paint, primer and scour the plastic panel. Try my rotary out on your car Dan, free of charge ;-)

BlackScreaminMachine - Hit the area with a compound on the rotary, you'll love the machine and how much time you save.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Internet Mechanic

Everyone has a fav product and everything else is a waste of time. I've been using 3M and Meg Pro line the entire time I've been detailing....I save money and my cars will come out looking just as good.

Different products can be worked different ways, yea sure there are some products that are better then others but for the most part they will all get a car PERFECT, it's just a matter of how compatible you are with the method of application for that specific brand. Menzerna.....eh, it is what it is, it doesnt make me want to spend the money on it. I dont like the way it has to be worked in, broken down, how it wipes off. I've gotten used to things being done a certian way I suppose.

Danno, that's a random orbital; we're talking about the big dog machines, like when your wiping the sweat from your brow the first time you detail a car because you know it only takes 2 seconds at most to burn through the clear, paint, primer and scour the plastic panel. Try my rotary out on your car Dan, free of charge ;-)

BlackScreaminMachine - Hit the area with a compound on the rotary, you'll love the machine and how much time you save.
Agreed on the products comment. I know that I can go down the road and pick up anything in the professional line and not paying out the nose and for the most part keeping up on the car is more important as none will be perfect. Its expected of Daily drivers.

Yea, the brow was sweating. I was not expecting to be allowed to practice on the GN but since we were using a finishing polish on a white finishing pad, its hard to screw it up but nerve racking all the same.

I will def try that out on the bumper next time I get a chance!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

LOL no thanks Joe, I'll stick with my little dog one it does the trick. Yeah I would NEVER use a real rotary, man some of you guys should be ashamed of yourself letting your cars get that bad anyways to warrant a full blown rotary tool Leave those tools to the professionals, especially with the paint/clear on cars these days.

I will say for the money maguires stuff works well. I've used Zaino and Menzerna and while they are great, maguires is cheap and local. I'm gonna use all maguires stuff on my truck next, pre clean and a light cut, see how it comes out.