Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another 'is this legal in CA' thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another 'is this legal in CA' thread

Hi guys,

i know that there are many threads about passing CA smog, but i wanted to see if i can bring a car with a certain setup back to CA and get her registered. it's a '97 240sx with an lsx..no 02 sensors or cats, so those will have to be replaced asap. the build goes as follows:

2005 L33 (all aluminum 5.3L with LS6 heads. Flat top pistons and higher compression)
2001 T56
2004 GTO PCM
2001 LS1 intake
LS6 Cam and springs
c5 Manifolds
3" y-pipe, no cats, Trust muffler

most of these look like oem pieces, but i have no idea if i'll get stale-mated at the referee. any insight? thanks again
Old 04-28-2010, 09:07 AM
12 Second Club

your screwed bro! You have no chance of passing if your taking it to a ref. Even to a smog station. Sorry man. Got to find someone that will over look stuff. good luck
Old 04-28-2010, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

What are the rules for Cali? I mean ball park, not in complete detail.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do it and it has been done many times before but you do need the cats, etc. The motor has to have all the smog that came with it for the year of the motor. Check out Jags That Run. there is a good article on the process and procedure.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:16 PM

thanks for the replies.....

yeah from what i see if i could get the 02 sensors wired back and cat installed i have a shot...but then there is this little addendum saying no truck->car swaps. since technically an L33 is swapped in, there is no way no how i could get this to happen.

how about in AZ? i have a (rental) property i could register it too. how are the checks there?
Old 04-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Teching In

AZ will be a lot easier to get the car registered, CA is def way more strict than AZ. However I had a friend that had a car registered in UT and would get hassled when he got pulled over in CA about it... but thats if you get pulled over and still didnt seem much of an issue.

You can do the smog legal thing in CA but as 69 Ghost said you need to retain all the smog equiptment from the engine for that model year, but you also might be screwed by the truck->car thing.

I am just starting to my '99 LS1 in a '98 240sx swap and thankfully the 99 LS1 came with all the smog stuff, even fuel tank etc... I am hoping to remove as much as I can but I will likely still have to have the air pump etc to make it legal.

Good luck!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

As long as the engine type/size came in a truck that was under 3/4 ton it should be fine, you cannot put a dedicated 3/4 ton truck engine in a car...if 3/4 ton truck engine was offered in a 1500 series truck than it's ok-at least fwiw.
go to calif.gov and do a little research.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:14 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since he is using a 04 GTO PCM he should be ok, because they will probably read it and classify it as a car to car swap since its probably running a GTO OS in the PCM.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:32 PM

thx again for support guys

so light duty truck=car for emissions purposes?

also, is the consensus that if I find a cat and re-wire the o2 sensors I *could* get it by?
Old 04-29-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off all you have to do is say it what motor it is and the year. If they ask you can say a GTO they woun't know. They will not know if it came from a truck or a car nor will they care. If you check the site it is more about how you approach the certification process and do not give any more info than you are asked for. You can do it and it would not be a big deal it will have to pass the emission standards for that year of the motor and what is 'supposedly' came out of.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

The Factory 04 GTO catalitic converters are down under the car almost under the front seats. The reff is rquired to make sure you didnt move the cats. You probably dont have room for cats in this location under your 240sx. I think your best bet would be to get your computer reflashed with 02 F-body tune. The 02 camaro cats are packaged neatly on each side of the engine. And they are only a few inches away from the manifolds not under the car. The 02 f-body uses small, thin cats which fit in tight places.

http://www.v8rx7forum.com/showthread...nally+the+road
Attached Thumbnails another 'is this legal in CA' thread-pontiac_gto_hr_04_manu-e03-800.jpg  

Last edited by Born-again 7; 04-29-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mkcman17
2005 L33 (all aluminum 5.3L with LS6 heads. Flat top pistons and higher compression)
2001 T56
2004 GTO PCM
2001 LS1 intake
LS6 Cam and springs
c5 Manifolds
3" y-pipe, no cats, Trust muffler
With that hodge podge going on, you may have trouble.

The L33 is truck block?

Here is the problem you will have:
If you are going to claim it is a 2004 GTO(PCM), you HAVE to have ALL the GTO smog stuff and setup. This includes cats, air diverter valve, EGR, drive by wire(if it had it), etc.

You also have to use the same transmission as the donor vehicle(ie GTO). I'm not familiar with the GTO... but if it never came with a manual, you are SOL.

I went through this in 97ish. I had to find an engine (5.0L TBI) that came with a manual transmission so I could use a transmission.

The CA laws are not THAT difficult. But people who start trying to piece meal an engine together make it seem difficult and rage about how hard it is
Old 04-29-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't see them having any idea that it's a truck block; beyond that, your emissions must match factory and match the PCM. F-Body PCM + emissions is the way to go, preferrably 01-02. Do that, tell them it's a 5.7 from the F-Body and you should be fine.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
I don't see them having any idea that it's a truck block; beyond that, your emissions must match factory and match the PCM. F-Body PCM + emissions is the way to go, preferrably 01-02. Do that, tell them it's a 5.7 from the F-Body and you should be fine.
Refs do check the block. So unless a truck block is stamped the same as a GTO, the ref is going to see GTO PCM and truck block... in which case he'll probably crawl over it with a fine tooth comb.

Then if you've got a changed MAF, Throttle body, exhaust manifolds, etc, you need to make sure they are CARB complaint.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:21 PM

tons of great input, guys!

i ran into a friend who happens to have a friend that's a ref. he (the ref) is echoing what a lot of you are saying. apparently it doesn't matter <3/4 ton or w/e. truck is a truck, period, and it won't fly. however, if it doesn't LOOK like a truck, it'll get by. also, the tranny MUST match whatever i'm claiming. looks like it's out of an '01 trans am. so if i flash to a t/a, how would the rest of it look?

Quick Reply: another 'is this legal in CA' thread