Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Muffler Delete and X-pipe on my own or talk to a shop??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Delete and X-pipe on my own or talk to a shop??

So my V is on its way of getting repaired and I plan to spoil it with some welcome home gifts. Now do you guys recommend for me to just do the muffler delete and replacing the resonators on my own or talk to a shop?

Cheaper is preferable but quality is highest priority. Looking not to be spending over like 350 or so.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

unless you have a pipe bender and a welder you cant do it yourself unless you pan to not put tips on it and leave nothign after you cut the mufflers off. I paid 120 to have my mufflers cut off, new pipes bent, and tips all welded on. So the resonator should be a little less.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have stock exhaust manifolds, stock cats, and stock resonator still in place...go to ebay and buy a 2.5" in/out 304 Stainless X pipe for $50, take it to the muffler shop, get them to weld it in and hack the mufflers and install straight pipe. That's a killer budget exhaust.

Now...do NOT try that with headers or catless pipes, you will regret it, a muffler delete anyway. If you do go to headers, just plan on buying some mufflers too.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by alan2000T/A
if you have stock exhaust manifolds, stock cats, and stock resonator still in place...go to ebay and buy a 2.5" in/out 304 Stainless X pipe for $50, take it to the muffler shop, get them to weld it in and hack the mufflers and install straight pipe. That's a killer budget exhaust.

Now...do NOT try that with headers or catless pipes, you will regret it, a muffler delete anyway. If you do go to headers, just plan on buying some mufflers too.
Mufflers arent necessary if you have cats but its definetly a must if you go with off road pipes.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:14 AM

looked under my car this morning to see what exhaust it has and now that i see ppl talking about it mine has the muffler delete. i just bought my cts-v a cpl months ago and love it so far. the other day some pp were asking my what exhaust i have so i finally decided to look and it had my wondering till i started reading some of theses treads recently.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

sweet, saves you a couple hundred bucks. Do you still have cats and the factory resonator?
Old 05-03-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by itsslow98
sweet, saves you a couple hundred bucks. Do you still have cats and the factory resonator?
if your asking my then yeah i believe so..i only looked real quick but it looked to have the front cats and resonator. i love the sound and its got a good tone to it. i want to keep modding but i think at the end of the year im going to get a guy i know to custom i single turbo for me.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

So not to sound like a tard.....on the muffler delete?? just cut the pipes right before the factory mufflers then put in some str8 pipes and some tips on out the back...looks like it would work. just wanna ask before I make a d/a cut
Old 05-03-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

straight pipes wont line up with the holes in the bumper so they have to have a slight bend.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

yeah we have a mandrel bender too....well @ my disposal, just making sure that I wasn't gonna mess up the backflow/ restriction and trip out the CPU

Quick Reply: Muffler Delete and X-pipe on my own or talk to a shop??