Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Cages...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:51 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Cages...

Now I've done it. In a fit of rage I kicked the crap out of my stock POS stereo all the way into the dash of the T/A. The stereo was destroyed, which made me feel good, but now the cage is in pieces. How will I go about mounting another radio in there? Is there an aftermarket cage or some sort of contraption that I can mount in there? I don't know anything about radios, other than our stock ones SUCK, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Last edited by myk; 05-01-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure I understand but if you've broken the cage of an aftermarket radio ( the metal sleeve the radio slides and locks into) you have one nast-*** punch and I want pics. Replace the cage, you should be able to get one from any local stereo shop depending on the brand/model of the radio.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:54 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Lol, no I mean the plastic sleeve inside the car that holds the radio to the dash. It's in about 3 different pieces. I was hoping that there would be some sort of plastic sleeve or something that I could just fit over the hole in the dash for the stereo to slide into but I haven't found anything. I guess I'm going to have to 'fab something. In the meantime, I just duct-taped the pieces I had and the radio's actually in place...for now...
Old 05-04-2010, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics.. are you talking about the bezzel? i think thats what ts called.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Launching!

I still don't understand exactly. Do you have an aftermarket radio in there? If so I guess you're talking about the dash kit. Any stereo shop should have a dash kit for your car, I usuall sell them for $20. If you're talking about the bezzel I'm sure you can find somebody on here selling one. Pics please.... Gotta see the duct tape handy work.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:08 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

No it's the stock HU. Any radio will have to sit inside the plastic sleeve inside the dash that holds it in place-that's the part that's broken, leaving the radio with no place to sit inside...
Old 05-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Launching!

I got ya.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's really weird that you kicked that. but, okay. here's what happened to me...

some thieves broke into my car and ripped out my HU, and when they did, broke the plastic "cage" you are referring to. luckily they broke it in about 3 pieces only. seriously i didn't even find a small piece of plastic missing, which usually happens when plastic shatters. not only that, but the thieves left all of the plastic still in my car, which is also bizarre since it was connected to the head unit when they ripped it out.

one piece was the entire driver's side that snapped off from the AC vents all the way down to the AC controls...it was bad. the other side had a crack from the AC vents to the AC controls, but was still intact. then the "cage" broke in the middle, and again on the passenger side where the HU bolt is.

i first superglued the cage together before connecting it to the car. then i bought some plastic 7 minute locktite at home depot and shoved the damn thing back into place (was very difficult since the passenger side had cracked and i had to bend it the other way to do this). once it was in, i don't even think the epoxy was necessary it was so incredibly tight. but, i went ahead and sealed the cracks where it broke previously with the locktite on the outside all around, including the area i superglued before. it it solid as a rock and i couldn't imagine it breaking again. i installed a stock HU in there too and it didn't seem fragile at all.

so that would be my recommendation...if you still have the stock pieces, get some locktite and put them back together. i think my superglue step was pointless, but originally i didn't realize that. if you don't have all the stock pieces it's going to be tough...you may end up drilling something into the dash on the driver's side, like a piece of metal, that suspends over to where the HU bolts in. i'm not sure...this is what i was considering until i bolted everything in my car up. i did not think mine was going to fit back in until it did, just because i didn't know how bent the dash was, how many plastic pieces were missing, or whether or not a new HU would even line up with the "cage" once i was finished. i got lucky.