Arrested and Jailed For No Front Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Arrested and Jailed For No Front Plate?

So, I was driving to my apt on Saturday afternoon, around 3pm. I was pulled over by a local PD for supposed exhibition of acceleration. The officer didn't actually see anything, but heard my car and assumed thats what i was doing. I did pop the the throttle in second and jumped from 20mph to about 35mph. After being stopped they said I didn't have a front license plate, my inspection was expired, which it was on that day, May 1st, and I had a faulty tail light. After I signed the citation, I was removed from car, placed in handcuffs and put in the back of a cruiser. My car was towed to a impound lot, I was driven to the jail, checked in, changed clothes and put into a cell. I was being held for the fines I owed on the tickets I had just received. I was bailed out a few hours later for the amount of the tickets and was given a court date for later this week.

I am just wondering if anyone else has ever been jailed for something so ridiculous as this. I am outraged that I was arrested for these seemingly minor infractions.

Now I know there are always 2 sides of a story and this is only one side. I was not rude nor disrespectful to the officer. I was a little bit surprised when I was pulled over, because I knew there was no one around when I popped it.

Just looking for advise or maybe a reason why they would do this.

-Dick
Old 05-02-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That is some bs man. I would fight that all the way. Good luck
Old 05-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

There isn't much to fight. I can go to court and get the tickets dismissed and they will return my bail money. Its not like being arrested for say theft, where you have to see the judge and then they set your bail. They only thing I cant get back is the impound lot fees.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dickster86
So, I was driving to my apt on Saturday afternoon, around 3pm. I was pulled over by a local PD for supposed exhibition of acceleration. The officer didn't actually see anything, but heard my car and assumed thats what i was doing. I did pop the the throttle in second and jumped from 20mph to about 35mph. After being stopped they said I didn't have a front license plate, my inspection was expired, which it was on that day, May 1st, and I had a faulty tail light. After I signed the citation, I was removed from car, placed in handcuffs and put in the back of a cruiser. My car was towed to a impound lot, I was driven to the jail, checked in, changed clothes and put into a cell. I was being held for the fines I owed on the tickets I had just received. I was bailed out a few hours later for the amount of the tickets and was given a court date for later this week.

I am just wondering if anyone else has ever been jailed for something so ridiculous as this. I am outraged that I was arrested for these seemingly minor infractions.

Now I know there are always 2 sides of a story and this is only one side. I was not rude nor disrespectful to the officer. I was a little bit surprised when I was pulled over, because I knew there was no one around when I popped it.

-Dick

This just doesnt make since to me . They have no right to take you to jail for those infractions. Your not leaving anything out are you
Old 05-02-2010, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

-Dick

Dude if that's really the way that went down then I would be at an attorney's office first thing in the morning. When you sign that ticket it is not an admission of guilt but rather a promise to appear in court. How can you owe fines on a charge that you haven't even been found guilty of? It sounds like you refused to sign the ticket because it will go just how you described it if you don't sign it. If you did sign and they took you I would fight that all the way.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

I said the same thing, and she said she can arrest me for whatever she wants. Those were her exact words. The cops at the station and the other inmates all thought it was pretty crazy also. I just think its a waste of tax dollars for her to be wasting time taking me to jail for this. Are there no real criminals out there?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

The other officers also searched my car after I left in the cruiser with the cop who pulled me over.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Launching!

he has every right to take you to jail for those tickets, 99.99% of all infractions are jailable, and it's his judgement call...
Old 05-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Launching!

oh, and as soon as you're arrested you forfeited the right to not have yo **** searched...not my favorite part of the law lol
Old 05-02-2010, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

i would definately consult an attorney first thing Monday morning, as well as file a complaint against the arresting officer. Ridiculous...
Old 05-02-2010, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

I don't think they will give you back the bail money, but you can fight the tickets and get them dismissed but for sure get a lawyer.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Teching In

That sucks man. I received the exact same tickets with in a month, all within a week apart from each other. I hired a lawyer and got them all dismissed. For the no front license plate, I took a picture of the plate on the car and showed it to the judge. For the rear tail light, I showed a receipt showing I fix the tail light and for the expired inspection sticker, I showed the papers they give you when you complete the inspection. All I ended up paying is the $10 court fee.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey dick that is straight fucked up dude , did they **** up the vett? And also I believe u have 15 days from the due date of an inspection to get it replaced dude , also about the plate did u have it on the dash? Some let u slide not much , and yeah don't sound right them taking u to jail for that dumb as **** ... shoot me ur number by pm dude so I can hit u up when ever we go out to meets or track
Old 05-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by khaos288
he has every right to take you to jail for those tickets, 99.99% of all infractions are jailable, and it's his judgement call...
Thats how it was explained to me by another officer. I just find it a little bit extreme for non moving violations.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by red281gt
Hey dick that is straight fucked up dude , did they **** up the vett? And also I believe u have 15 days from the due date of an inspection to get it replaced dude , also about the plate did u have it on the dash? Some let u slide not much , and yeah don't sound right them taking u to jail for that dumb as **** ... shoot me ur number by pm dude so I can hit u up when ever we go out to meets or track
They put the vette on a roll back, so it was fine. There is no grace period for the inspection, most cops would let you off the first couple days of the month though. I didn't have the plate on the dash. pm'ed you my number.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

sounds like it was lame *** webster police. its bad enough with them guys when you get stopped by them that its a better option to outrun them!.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The will find any way to pinch money from the locals. That hole case cost the tax payer about 5 grand look it up.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The fact it's a local PD, I'm not suprised at all.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

I said the same thing, and she said she can arrest me for whatever she wants. Those were her exact words.
Was she a bull dyke?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

So you only had those three tickets?? No plate, inspection and a tail light out?? Did you refuse to sign the ticket? Did you have a warrant maybe? Something here doesn't make sense

Quick Reply: Arrested and Jailed For No Front Plate?